Why become a member? ×

i need some help here people :D

jojoagogo234

i know it says not to talk about it, however i really need some help with a music asignment i got in music. .

the quistion is how does how does politics affect music-maker and users.

also part of this would be spasific events inwitch the govement have had to step in, for example banning a song (such as the bbc banning "god save the queen")

any other time i would be able to do it all myself.... however i dont know much about this area lol

The "powers-that-be" are trying their best to squash music "piracy" and the "pirates" keep finding new ways to get around whatever measures the "powers-that-be" put in place. Is that an angle?

There has been recent legislation regarding licensing for small gigs, I'm sure there was a thread on here about it.

That's all I can think of quickly, I'm at work ;)

I don't know a lot about this off the top of my head mate, but if I were in your position I think the first thing I would do is enter '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]how does politics affect music-makers and users' and then probably 'BBC bans Sex Pistols' into Google and see what turns up. [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)[/font][/color]

Also look at why the BBC bans certain tunes [or did do]
A few eg's here, and pretty laughable really.
[url="http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/19031/music/title_bbc_banned_music_top_singles_banned_by_the_bbc.html"]http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/19031/music/title_bbc_banned_music_top_singles_banned_by_the_bbc.html[/url]

The BBC are also quick to point out they did not ban 'God Save The Queen',
but they did ban the re worded 'God Save The Queen' By 'The Sex Pistols'
Also the disc cover had a picture of the Queen punking it up with a safety pin in her nose...
But what ever she gets up to in her Castle is her business really.

Garry

A long time ago (early - mid 70s), but something that I took part in:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Free_Festival"]Windsor free festival[/url] - the last one (1974), was abruptly brought to a halt by hundreds of rozzers, truncheons in hand. Thankfully, my band (Stallion) played the day before the invasion.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjxN7uAIg40"]Here's a clip[/url], a mix of the Windsor festival (when I was in the band) and Reading festival (when I wasn't)

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1330947176' post='1565029']
A long time ago (early - mid 70s), but something that I took part in:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Free_Festival"]Windsor free festival[/url] - the last one (1974), was abruptly brought to a halt by hundreds of rozzers, truncheons in hand. Thankfully, my band (Stallion) played the day before the invasion.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjxN7uAIg40"]Here's a clip[/url], a mix of the Windsor festival (when I was in the band) and Reading festival (when I wasn't)
[/quote]

Great stuff...

Garry

You could also google "Red Wedge" and "Rock against racism". On the other side of the coin there is the whole extreme right wing link to the "Oi" movement.
Shift into US politics and you have Mr Dylan, Woodie Guthrie, Joan Baez and a whole load of others. Part of the challenge is defining the line where politics start and social concious ends although I would conclude the two are inextricably linked.
Midnight Oil - Political with an Australian slant, especially on teh subject of aboriginal rights.
There are just so many Irish rebel songs, which by their very nature are political. Still with Irish music Christy Moore deals with political injustic all round the world. Try "Victor Jara" for his comments on Chile.
Remember people have died for singing songs "the regime" disagree with.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

Hi,
Re-reading your OP some of my previous post might be less relevant than I thought; I was dealing with music and politics rather than how politics affects music.
The point regarding people dying for what they sing is still valid. However as to effects of politics on the music makers or industry I would say (at the risk on inviting a damned good flaming) in the UK we are not too bad as far as banning songs or political interference with music goes. Although it is a fine line censorship in the UK tend to depend on whether a point of view is offensive (ie likely to offend the Daily Mail reading class) rather than expressing views at odds with the political party in control at the time. (The Beat - Stand down Margaret, UB40 - One in Ten etc were never under threat).
America is another kettle of fish entirely, especially when right wing politics gets involved (eg Moral Majority). Try googling "The filthy fifteen".
Through these idiots we had the whole satanic music record burning and playing records backwards to find supposedly hidden messages fiascoes.
Look for the details of the Judas Priest trial for details.
Look at the whole issue of racial integration in music and how the politics affected that. Although light hearted have a look at either version of Hairspray (the John Waters original or the musical with John Travolta) which focuses on racial integration in Baltimore.

Whoops. Have I strayed too far into the 'avoid politics and religion' guidelines of the forums? If so I am happy to edit my post to comply.

Edited by Leon Transaxle

Personally, I would focus on getting my punctuation, grammar and syntax right before writing an essay. If your work doesn't make sense to the reader (read: the person that will be grading you) you'll get a big fat 0 regardless of how good the content is. Of course, if you are just relaxing your writing style because it's a forum then I apologise; it's just that bad use of written english really gets my goat and syntax can account for up to 15% of your overall grade!

Anyway, it's a tricky question. Seeing as the question is not being period specific, I would assume that the grader doesnt want a history essay. Of course include a paragraph with historical precedents, but maybe think about how politics affects music at the grass roots level. There's a million bands out there that have a political message (SOAD, RATM, Dylan, Baez, Pistols, Enter Shikari etc) but has the music itself actually been affected by the actions of a political body?

Personally, I would be looking at what the government has done to get people listening to or getting involved with music. Are there any financial incentives for people to learn 'music' as there are nursing or social services? Despite evidence, why doesnt government endorse music therapy? Loads of stuff to ask there! In my opinion, you need to look at this question and think how politics affects music-makers at the most basic and smallest level.

Lovely, open question there! Loads of great ideas up on this thread already, I just think you should look further than bands with a political message. Actually, maybe you'd need to clarify what 'politics' is?!

Truckstop