Why become a member? ×

London Bass Show '12 - how was it for you?

visog

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1330944643' post='1564975']
A good day out although that Nigel Clutterbuck was nothing short of a pain <snip>

Has anyone ever seen him play in a band or with anyone else, No well that says something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

Yes - Forever Endeavour. He plays great in a band context and still manages to do all his 'thupity-thupity'. Seem to recall him and his band doing a smoking version of 'Sweet Georgia Brown'...

Edited by visog

I went on the Saturday and had a fantastic time! I went last year so I knew what to expect, and took ear plugs with me"

My dad and I had a nice chat with Sheldon Dingwall - I've never tried a Novax fretted bass before, but it was amazing! My girlfriend had a chat/picture with TM Stevens, who we have met before. I picked up loads of stickers and freebies, which always makes my day :D

During the day, we chatted with lots of other people - I found the overall atmosphere was great, and everyone was really friendly

I tried out lots of different basses, and although it was still noisy, i could just about hear what was going on!

Overall, I had a great time and can't wait until next years show!

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1330977502' post='1565752']
I went on the Saturday and had a fantastic time! I went last year so I knew what to expect, and took ear plugs with me"

My dad and I had a nice chat with Sheldon Dingwall - I've never tried a Novax fretted bass before, but it was amazing! My girlfriend had a chat/picture with TM Stevens, who we have met before. I picked up loads of stickers and freebies, which always makes my day :D

During the day, we chatted with lots of other people - I found the overall atmosphere was great, and everyone was really friendly

I tried out lots of different basses, and although it was still noisy, i could just about hear what was going on!

Overall, I had a great time and can't wait until next years show!
[/quote]

surely anyone who had a "great time" is a slapper :P

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1330947425' post='1565032']
Ooh. Whats that then? The new parametric eq? Any more details?
[/quote]

I think you've still got volume and pickup blend, then a coil tap switch for each pickup. The smaller knobs are Bass, Treble, Parametric EQ1 boost/cut and frequency centre, Parametric EQ2 boost/cut and frequency centre. But I'm not sure which of the smaller knobs controls what. Any other switches control the LEDs plus an additional LED colour selector knob on some basses.

Seems a bit over the top to me, although the original semi parametric preamp in the Status basses seemed over complicated at first but is actually really useful.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1331026139' post='1566339']
I think you've still got volume and pickup blend, then a coil tap switch for each pickup. The smaller knobs are Bass, Treble, Parametric EQ1 boost/cut and frequency centre, Parametric EQ2 boost/cut and frequency centre. But I'm not sure which of the smaller knobs controls what. Any other switches control the LEDs plus an additional LED colour selector knob on some basses.

Seems a bit over the top to me, although the original semi parametric preamp in the Status basses seemed over complicated at first but is actually really useful.
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. I think I had figured it was something like that... that's a lot of controls on the front of your bass and I'm surprised there are no stacked knobs. I think Rob's done a pretty good job of keeping it neat despite the amount of pots on there! As you say, it may be over the top but I guess there must be some call for it... and if Mr King is using it, no doubt a load of MK fanboys will be getting their orders in!

Is the parametric EQ 1 and 2 for each pickup respectively? or two points across the whole summed EQ range?

Still, interesting none the less and would be keen to try one out.

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1331037729' post='1566602']
I forgot to go back to the stand in the far corner with the basses with enormous PUPs and loads of switches (for quick changers in sound P->Rick if I overheard sort of correctly). Anyone got anymore dets on that at all?
[/quote]

Was that the Enfield basses on the Sims stand?

[url="http://www.enfieldguitars.com/"]http://www.enfieldguitars.com/[/url]

Saw a couple of masterclasses - Chris "Fatty" Hargreaves & the back end of TM Stevens (oerrr). Hargreaves was great, I hadn't heard him before, and will definitely be seeking him out. I get all the stuff about Stevens being inspirational [i]when he's talking[/i], but the music didn't do anything for me! :(

I also got to try a few 5s... since switching to the "floating thumb" technique I found them much more straightforward than before. By some miracle I came away with my credit card unviolated!

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1331037964' post='1566610']
Was that the Enfield basses on the Sims stand?

[url="http://www.enfieldguitars.com/"]http://www.enfieldguitars.com/[/url]
[/quote]

The main idea of it is to have jazz, p, and musicman sounds all in one. I easily got a jazz sound out of it, not 100% sure if i got P and J. The tonal options on it are probably only outdone by a variax, you can run passive, active (up to 18db bass boost!) pan the pickups run it all in series etc. The really neat feature was that the volume output stayed the same when you switched between the pickup options, some clever electronics taking care of all that for you.
Probably wouldn't go for one myself but it gets a thumbs up.

Really enjoyed the masterclasses and performances, which is principally why I went. The noise didn't bother me as I mainly lurked round the coffee area in between classes/performances. Had a little look at the gear of course, but as I wasn't in to buying anything I didn't linger too long.
I can see how the noise would have been annoying if you did want to properly browse and buy something.

I was hoping there would be be some music to buy, but there didn't seem to be much of a selection. I was also hoping to be able to buy bits of music related jizz like jewellry, key rings, joss sticks that sort of thing. But I guess the stands cost quite a lot to book, and you don't make much money on a £2.50 key ring.

But all in all I enjoyed it and would definitely go again.

I went to the show last year and decided not to go this year because of the bloody noise. I primarily went down with a friend to help him find a high-end bass and rig, but it was very hard work whilst being bomarded by the racket. I did the demo's for two years at the BMF for Carlsbro and the noise police walking around with their dB meters were always on top of the volume levels and I got a few rollockings from them. This seems to be totally ignored at the LBS and it's so frustrating when you are testing kit for acquisition when some pleb at the stand opposite you is playing the worst slap known to man and loud enough to be heard from the moon. From the feedback I have read on this thread the problem has become worse and I have no motivation attending next years event, which really ticks me off.

The organisers really have to put their foot down about the noise saturation in the hall during the event.

I didn't go, but I'm told there was a horrendous amount of very, very sloppy slapping going on......why I just don't know. If sloppy slapping is your thing, then [b]why[/b] do you feel the need to share it with everyone else, just do it in your bedroom.

The last show I went to was at the NEC a few years ago. Pretty much all of the bass keyboard and guitar stands were using headphone amps, so why not the bass show ?

Edited by kjb

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1331047173' post='1566807']
I didn't go, but I'm told there was a horrendous amount of very, very sloppy slapping going on......why I just don't know. If sloppy slapping is your thing, then [b]why[/b] do you feel the need to share it with everyone else, just do it in your bedroom.

The last show I went to was at the NEC a few years ago. Pretty much all of the bass keyboard and guitar stands were using headphone amps, so why not the bass show ?
[/quote]

me and goblin were trying out some ritters through headphones on the bass gear stand. Next thing i know i've got some tool behind me playing loudly through the Aguilar rig and i couldn't hear anything i was playing. So in this point the headphones became useless.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331049870' post='1566861']
me and goblin were trying out some ritters through headphones on the bass gear stand. Next thing i know i've got some tool behind me playing loudly through the Aguilar rig and i couldn't hear anything i was playing. So in this point the headphones became useless.
[/quote]

It was probably TomKent's revenge after I accidentally drowned him out when he was doing a demo on the BassGear stand (Mr East turned the amp up, not me :lol: )

[quote name='TheRockinRoadie' timestamp='1331061509' post='1567093']
Wrong, very wrong!

I'm a classic rock and blues bassist - I don't know the first thing about slap bass, and i have little interest in it!
[/quote]

twas a joke :) shame you don't slap though as the fender MM and lakland 44-02 are two of my favourite basses to slap on. Proper old school!

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1331078909' post='1567480']
It was probably TomKent's revenge after I accidentally drowned him out when he was doing a demo on the BassGear stand (Mr East turned the amp up, not me :lol: )
[/quote]

if it was during the demo with the tapping guy i think you did us all a favour ;)

I've got a lot of people to thank here for a truely wonderful couple of days at the show. Mark for having us at his stand. Dan and Pat for all the help and of course fun. David Swift and Neil Murray taught me so much and are such gentlemen. The organizers who dispite the noise complaints did a really good job of keeping a lid on things. I've done a lot of shows and this is the only one where there are regulated quiet times. I got stuck in the drum area at NAMM a couple of years ago :0 this show was peaceful by comparison. When you remove the clutter there were many gems, most of which I missed because I was busy. Yolanda did cause me to stop mid-sentence and run over for a listen. Freaking amazing!

Most of all I'd like to thank all who took the time to stop by. Prior to the trip I was dreading the 12 hr flights, jet lag, exhaustion etc but you guys made it all worthwhile. Can't wait for next year.

Edited by Sheldon Dingwall

[quote name='Sheldon Dingwall' timestamp='1331132450' post='1568173']
I've got a lot of people to thank here for a truely wonderful couple of days at the show. Mark for having us at his stand. Dan and Pat for all the help and of course fun. David Swift and Neil Murray taught me so much and are such gentlemen. The organizers who dispite the noise complaints did a really good job of keeping a lid on things. I've done a lot of shows and this is the only one where there are regulated quiet times. I got stuck in the drum area at NAMM a couple of years ago :0 this show was peaceful by comparison. When you remove the clutter there were many gems, most of which I missed because I was busy. Yolanda did cause me to stop mid-sentence and run over for a listen. Freaking amazing!

Most of all I'd like to thank all who took the time to stop by. Prior to the trip I was dreading the 12 hr flights, jet lag, exhaustion etc but you guys made it all worthwhile. Can't wait for next year.
[/quote]

Nice one Sheldon - good to see you there and really nice to meet you albeit briefly - look forward to seeing you there next year too

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331119094' post='1567837']
if it was during the demo with the tapping guy i think you did us all a favour ;)
[/quote]

Hahaha.

If it wasn't my 15 minutes with Alex, I was usually not on the stand.

I did notice some people just picking up basses, plugging in and playing when.. let's be honest.. that's not quite the right thing to do when the bass is about £7,000 ha.

Will add that some stalls were very guilty of not keeping track of volume, but we were good when our 15 mins were up. :) That and some just purposely went as loud as they physically could just to spite the audience you were getting.

See y'all next time! :)

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1331119094' post='1567837']
[/quote]

Yeah it was :P I didn't mind that guy that much to be honest, him and Tom seemed to work together quite well :P

[quote name='TomKent' timestamp='1331134233' post='1568204']
Hahaha.

If it wasn't my 15 minutes with Alex, I was usually not on the stand.

I did notice some people just picking up basses, plugging in and playing when.. let's be honest.. that's not quite the right thing to do when the bass is about £7,000 ha.

Will add that some stalls were very guilty of not keeping track of volume, but we were good when our 15 mins were up. :) That and some just purposely went as loud as they physically could just to spite the audience you were getting.

See y'all next time! :)
[/quote]

Yeah I get what you mean, I saw a lot of that. I liked the demos, I heard they weren't to everyone's liking and I recall someone getting quite rude about it, and perhaps also having other competing basses in the area, one of which led to them being rather rude to myself and someone else which didn't upset me or anything, but I found bang out of order. I loved that Jazz on the John East stand as with the P, though I found the neck on the Jazz a tad fat, and couldn't stop playing it. So sorry about letting John turn it up, Tom ;)

[quote name='fluffo' timestamp='1330944643' post='1564975']
A good day out although that Nigel Clutterbuck was nothing short of a pain in the arse, Not only was he doing his usual percusive nonesence that was way to loud, that aint bass playing ,don't get me wrong I love a bit of slap but do it as it is intended, he didn't even stay on his own stool he tried other stuff on the other stools and was just generally polluting everybody elses space.
I bet if you sat him down and said I don't know er "play Dock of the bay" you would see a blank face.
Not a good ad for Rotosound.
I spoke to Jason on the Roto stand and said "why do you bring him?".
I wanted to get him a warwick t shirt with the big W on it, I thought it could stand for something else for the day.
Has anyone ever seen him play in a band or with anyone else, No well that says something!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A great day ruined by a NOB!!!!!!!!!!!!
[/quote]

:tatice_03:

First of all sir, allow me to [b]apologise [/b]for ruining your day!
Someone brought this post to my attention and thought I'd check it out...
Not being a Bassplayer for over 30 years now, I was confused by One or Two of your remarks,,
-Play slap like it was intended?!?
How does that work?
Maybe like on Double Bass in the 1920's with Pops Foster or Steve Brown-
Or more like Larry Graham and the Great Louise Johnson of the 70's
Mark King 80's... It goes on...
How about-- Athletes should run a mile properly like Roger Bannister!
Now I fully understand it's not everyones cup of Tea and belive me there's know one more tiered of my licks than me!!
That's why I got to where I am now, through constanatly searching out and discovering New techniques to push the style forward.
It's a rhythmical passion of mine! Maybe I should of played Drums or better still Tablas!

What is -:Dock of Bay!, maybe I should learn that One and everyone will watch enthralled.
I had a Good time at the show and spoke to many many peolpe -including Doug Wimbish- who wanted to know what the hell I was doing..
I of course obliged and showed them my right hand techniqe in conjunction with my left...
Slap Bass to me sounds to basic a terminology to describe where the style has progressed to these days.
I call it Rhythmsync, and it's played on a Bass!
Oh,,, I've played with lots of bands over the years from Jerry Donahue to bands with Proff Brian Cox in,,
Here's me and Brian back in 1991 with Thin Lizzy's keyboard player on Vox..
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYfyfkk4_E"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DYfyfkk4_E[/url]
I play lots of styles as I Am a Bassplayer!!!
anyway... Eye for an Eye...
As your status suggests, it maybe you Sir who if a Fully fledged Member!
:biggrin: