Why become a member? ×

Ampeg PF 500 - just bought this stack

thumperbob 2002

Hi All

Just got one of these from Andertons

[attachment=101412:5352540512_3e703bc8f7_s.jpg]

Got a 2x 10 Ampeg portaflex can from another basschatter so I have the pf 500 amp, 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 cab.

I have been using a Schroeder 2 x 12 light and a Markbass Lm II for my gigs though as I go through the FOH I use it only for monitoring. Use a Basspod XT Live for my tone so really the amp/ cab is just there for me to monitor myself. Always use the amp flat. As I play in a fairly retro soul/funk band I thought the Ampeg would look really good and would be more suited to the bands image. Guitar uses a sound city/ fender blues and we have a very trad looking drummer plus our keys had a great retro looking keyboard. Visuals are everything I suppose.

First impressions- Through the 2 x 10 only there is a vast difference in perceived volume between this and the Schroeder/ LM2. The Schroeder cab is 4 ohms- the ampeg 8 so the Ampeg amp is pushing half the wattage through the Ampeg. However the volume issue is not too bad until I have tried it at a gig- then we will see how it performs- I think it will be OK- the Schroeder cabs were to be honest much too much for me- very light and amazing clean volume but really not needed. I will be using both the 2x 12 and the 2 x 15 as subs for our band- they sound great!!

Very portable- the amp flips over and is stored in the cab, together with cables etc.The Ampegs are smaller than you would think and a little heavier than the Schroeders but still nowhere near like a trace combo or valve amp. Easily manageable and the cabs come on castors where I tend to remove the back ones to point the cab at me.

Really happy with the cabs- much warmer sounding than the Schroeders- probably the best sounding cabs I have heard- prefer the 2 x 10 to the 1 x 15 but both are very similar.

Having both cabs plugged in, whilst this would be used at some gigs I do, for monitoring it is a bit of overkill. I always go through the FOS- without pa suppost the two cabs would kill, but just one I am unsure of- until Friday which is my next gig.

The amp I have left more or less flat- sounds very good actually- quite warm and not at all SS.

The thing that has impressed me most was the price- great deal at £314 for the amp and £312 for the cab ( got a special discount of 25% off the cab if I bought it with the amp) so it was £234- bargain.

Overall really happy with it- but we`ll see on the gig on Friday for real.

Edited by thumperbob 2002

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1330596426' post='1559856']

The thing that has impressed me most was the price- great deal at £14 for the amp
[/quote]

Not a bad price :ph34r:

On a more serious note:- I really fancy one of these with the 2x10 cab. Seem brilliant and exactly what I need.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' timestamp='1330598850' post='1559940']
Devils in the detail pal- post edited
[/quote]

Must resist the urge to buy one.

I was tempted by the same deal on Andertons.

How loud can the 210 go? Eg could you monitor only with that?

Nice looking rig!

I'd be careful storing leads and things inside the cab. The pics I've seen show that the rear of the speaker is exposed and you could damage the cone with stuff rattling about in there. You could put your stuff in a zipable bag (like a mic case) and secure it to the rear or bottom of the cab with Velcro or something though I suppose!

Edited by Bigwan

Now I have confidence in my PF-500 I'm loving it.
We did a quick demo recording last night. 11 songs in a hour.
Had to DI the bass from the Ampeg, to try and reduce the spilling to other mics. But it sounds great!

I'm seriously tempted to get 2 of the 1x15" cabs...

Edited by bartelby

Although I don't have the PF210, I have a Classic 210 and from what I've gathered they're quite similar in volume levels and tone.

My little rig's loud enough to fill a fairly large room with plenty of bass in a 5-piece band and that was only with the volume on 6!

I was thinking of nabbing the PF210 off Buff, but decided against it as he 210HE is so similar!

Truckstop

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1330601613' post='1560013']
Although I don't have the PF210, I have a Classic 210 and from what I've gathered they're quite similar in volume levels and tone.

My little rig's loud enough to fill a fairly large room with plenty of bass in a 5-piece band and that was only with the volume on 6!

I was thinking of nabbing the PF210 off Buff, but decided against it as he 210HE is so similar!

Truckstop
[/quote]

MUST RESIST!

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1330599109' post='1559948']
Must resist the urge to buy one.

I was tempted by the same deal on Andertons.

How loud can the 210 go? Eg could you monitor only with that?
[/quote]

Its probably loud enough to do small gigs- but easily loud enough to use as a stage monitor for the band.

We`ll see on Friday......
[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1330599880' post='1559968']
Nice looking rig!

I'd be careful storing leads and things inside the cab. The pics I've seen show that the rear of the speaker is exposed and you could damage the cone with stuff rattling about in there. You could put your stuff in a zipable bag (like a mic case) and secure it to the rear or bottom of the cab with Velcro or something though I suppose!
[/quote]

Yeah- theres a zip bag at the bottom of the cab that is velcro`d in as standard. So no problem.

Gigged with the rig last night. Very quick set up. Quite a hot signal from the di on the head but easily sorted.

Sounded really great. Though my sound really comes from my basspod so the amp is not doing too much. I was a little concerned if this rig would be loud enough and with the amp just through the 2 x10 portaflex cab it was easily loud enough for monitoring for me and the band. To be honest this rig could easily do most venues without foh support. With the 1x15 it would be pushing 4 ohms so would be a monster low cost small rig.

Overall really happy with it. A fine purchase. Lots of good comments too from audience members. Obviously chin stroking musos. May be selling a Schroeder 1212l soon enough.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1330604514' post='1560112']
MUST RESIST!
[/quote]
I couldn't.

I'd been looking at the Micro VR + SVT210 AV but at the weekend I read this thread, took a looking at the Andertons site and got tempted by the Portaflex PF500 along with the PF-115HE. As luck would have it I got confirmation yesterday of a bonus payment at work and somehow I ended up with these items in my online basket and the random numbers that I fired into the payment page just happened to match my bank card!

If things pan out OK I'll pick up on Thursday or failing that at the weekend.

Quite excited :D

I've just taken delivery of a PF350 + 115cab from Andertons, great price with the 25% off the cab even had a few loyalty points from a previous order + got some new one's in the bank.

So far so good. Looks great and sounds really good too. Nice touch having the audio input which is audible through headphones, great for those late night sessions, tonight being one!

Hmmm, I will agree that the fan is a little loud and very noticeable when you're practicing at home. You can't hear it when you're playing, but it is a little annoying when you're writing notes or when you take a little break. Personally, I can deal with it!

Truckstop

[quote name='rapscallion' timestamp='1331189725' post='1568989']
Does that mean there's no more amps left in Andeertons? Last time I was there, since their renovation, the only bass amp they had was a Portaflex?

:unsure:
[/quote]
My purchase was accelerated since I saw that they only had 2 PF500s in stock

According to their website there's now 1 x PF500 (since I bought the other) and 6 x PF350

They're out of the PF-115 HE's now (wipes brow since I now have 1 sitting at home).