Why become a member? ×

Got an ACG? got a webcam? I've got a favour to ask...

LukeFRC

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1330088494' post='1552501']
There has been nothing taken away from the 01 but a significant number of features added in the 03.

Don't get me wrong the 01 is an excellent pre-amp and will continue to be just that. However the only reason I am now selling the 01 is because I have a new flagship pre-amp for my own basses which will be exclusively available in them for now on. Well once the testing has been done and the custom pots arrive.

Alan
[/quote] I don't doubt that. :) just wondering what extra features you managed to get in there! hmm need to save for a 01 I think :) The new pups in my WW are great, not so fussed about the pre I have in at the mo

Hi Luke. Just a point. This pre-amp in an ACG with ACG pups is truly superb, but bear in mind that the pups on your Warwick combined with the inherant tonal properties of your Warwick design, and the woods that is made of will affect the sound. Could be a stroke of genius though. All best

I know that somebody fitted the preamp in a Thumb Bass a few years back and loved it.
I can't recall who it was, but there was a thread on here, or bassworld, or whatever it was back then. It seemed to work nicely though.

I think the flexability of the ACG Preamp would make it a success in any bass, it'll obviously work differently from bass to bass, but I think it'll be effective wherever you put it.

Eude

[quote name='rednose200' timestamp='1330159049' post='1553401']
Hi Luke. Just a point. This pre-amp in an ACG with ACG pups is truly superb, but bear in mind that the pups on your Warwick combined with the inherant tonal properties of your Warwick design, and the woods that is made of will affect the sound. Could be a stroke of genius though. All best
[/quote]
Aye I know, I've just stuck a set of barts and a glockenklang preamp in there.
The pickups make a big difference, but it still sounds like a different version of the same bass. I think that the sort of 'things working together' well thing is negligible when you have swept Eq points. I get what you are saying but given the range of woods ACG's come in I wouldn't see that as a problem.

The ACG EQ01 works perfectly well in other basses with different pickups. I have a couple of the pre-amps from when they first came out before Alan decided to only make them available as part of an ACG bass.

One is in a Pedulla Buzz with Bartolini PJ pups and the other is in a Sei Flamboyant with Ibanez GW01 pickups. The pre-amp makes both basses sound stunning! The Pedulla originally had the standard Bart pre-amp in it which was OK but the ACG pre is just in another league.

Alan - what on earth have you and John been able to do to make an even better version? IMO the EQ01 does pretty much everything I'd ever want out of an on-board pre-amp. There's no better device you could fit to fretless (in particular) bass.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330163654' post='1553492']
The ACG EQ01 works perfectly well in other basses with different pickups. I have a couple of the pre-amps from when they first came out before Alan decided to only make them available as part of an ACG bass.

One is in a Pedulla Buzz with Bartolini PJ pups and the other is in a Sei Flamboyant with Ibanez GW01 pickups. The pre-amp makes both basses sound stunning! The Pedulla originally had the standard Bart pre-amp in it which was OK but the ACG pre is just in another league.

Alan - what on earth have you and John been able to do to make an even better version? IMO the EQ01 does pretty much everything I'd ever want out of an on-board pre-amp. There's no better device you could fit to fretless (in particular) bass.
[/quote]

oohh tell me more about how it works with the barts... that's what I would end up with if and when I have enough for one

• 2 weeks later...

Some clips of mine - Recurve frretless 5 (0067) - EQ01 with RFB mag pickup (switched humbucker/single coil) and piezo. Just to offer another configuration for comparison. Usual disclaimer re quality of playing and recording. Bass is strung with TI flats. Recorded direct into Zoom H4. Clips are as follows:

1.Mag pickup (switched to single coil) with filter boost up full - starting with filter sweep and followed by repeated pattern while slowly sweeping filter from high to low

[attachment=102023:ACG-Mag-Filter+Boost.mp3]

2. Piezo pickup with filter boost up full - starting with filter sweep and followed by repeated pattern while slowly sweeping filter from high to low.

[attachment=102024:ACG-Piezo-Filter+Boost.mp3]

3. General purpose setting - mag and piezo filters both about 2/3 open and boost about half up. Clip starts with mag/single coil, followed by mag/humbucker, then piezo, finally some idle doodling while sweeping the blend from full piezo slowly back to full humbucker.

[attachment=102025:ACG-Mag+Piezo-GeneralSetting.mp3]

The piezo has a wider and more open sound than the mag which is tight and focused. I use the blend as my main control when playing live to select the sound I want for each song. Occasionally I'll also tweak the boost if I want to add a bit of edge or soften the sound. The frequency cutoff is generally just set at my personal sweet spot and left alone. This bass is played in a jazzy/bluesy covers band and the mag/piezo mix is an ideal combination for this.

Edited by ikay

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1330159317' post='1553406']
I know that somebody fitted the preamp in a Thumb Bass a few years back and loved it.
I can't recall who it was, but there was a thread on here, or bassworld, or whatever it was back then. It seemed to work nicely though.

I think the flexability of the ACG Preamp would make it a success in any bass, it'll obviously work differently from bass to bass, but I think it'll be effective wherever you put it.

Eude
[/quote]

Here s one eude : http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1363/title/acg-eq02-preamp/cat/16

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1331317405' post='1571386']
Here s one eude : [url="http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/1363/title/acg-eq02-preamp/cat/16"]http://www.talkbass....2-preamp/cat/16[/url]
[/quote]

It might have been this thread : http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3919-acg-bass-pre-amp/

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEWpEvQEzis

another video EQ-02 in some make of bass we don't get over here!

Personally not sure what I'm going to do preamp wise. Playing my warwick at the moment with no controls and pickup straight to jack, and it sounds amazing. half of me is swaying towards a simple solution (sticking the 2 band back in) while part of me things active blend and control of the mids would be nice.... and then the flexibility of the ACG... but then wonder if I need all that flexibility....

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1341478951' post='1719559']
Put them in pedals and keep it the way it is :D
[/quote]

but I have 4 big holes in the front of my bass! to use the back pickup would involve a soldering iron!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1341479763' post='1719580']
I'm wondering if there's a way to make a format of pedal which will respond to knobs on a bass to alter the preamp in the pedal. Swap and change pre-amps at a stomp!
[/quote]
line 6 stuff can interact pedals to their instruments, but if you are going down that route I could get an audio interface and use my laptop for tone shaping...