Why become a member? ×

Now THIS is what a Rick should sound like!

Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1330122946' post='1553220']
Call that a "clank"?

THIS is a clank!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW3UAN3E9Tw&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

I'll give you that one! Taken to ridiculous extremes though, Rick-haters will find plenty to chew on in this clip. It sounds to me like he's running in stereo but we're not hearing the neck pickup for some reason.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1330128867' post='1553295']
Rick-haters will find plenty to chew on in this clip. It sounds to me like he's running in stereo but we're not hearing the neck pickup for some reason.
[/quote]

Indeed.......Sounds to me like he's got the saucepans out, I can't hear anything that sounds like a bass!! :o

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1330097042' post='1552734']
Ha! another Yes fan then? Here's another "Yes-alike" i've lked for years........

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwbZ0m73B3E[/media]
[/quote]

Fantastic band. Shame he is no longer with us. Last album was also very well finished even though Gary was already suffering from terminal cancer during the making.
Thanks for posting this particular band. Fond memories of them in their early days.

Dave

[quote name='dave.c' timestamp='1330080290' post='1552319']
The definative Ricky tone for me has to be Jon Camp on Renaissance's 'Live at Carnegie Hall', I can't find it to link to but do yourself a favour and search it out, every Ric fan should listen to it at least once and Jon Camp is a fantastic, melodic player and much underrated.
[/quote]

Not from that, but a lovely example of Jon and just about my holy grail of Rick tone (along with Messrs Squire & Kilmister):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_5h0SKUSM[/media]

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1330188025' post='1553924']
Fantastic band. Shame he is no longer with us. Last album was also very well finished even though Gary was already suffering from terminal cancer during the making.
Thanks for posting this particular band. Fond memories of them in their early days.

Dave
[/quote]

You are welcome. I never saw or met them but I do have the first album fully signed. It was sent to me from a friend in the USA and I treasure it, as Gary Strater is another fave bass player. In fact I lost out in a bid for one of his Ricky basses a while back on Ebay that was being sold by his estate. He's a tragic loss and a very underrated player IMO.

Edited by clarkpegasus4001

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1330120897' post='1553195']
Wow, if it is him get him on here! Funny if it turned out it wasn't a Rick after all... :lol:
[/quote]
It is him!He's recording at the moment,and does gigs in the Cobham/Esher area of Surrey with Aluna.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1330089997' post='1552549']

The song I posted just struck me as a wonderful example of the instrument - those flute-like quality of the high notes and the slightly snarly, snappy low notes. It was just a little different to the norm and also an excuse to post a great song!
[/quote]

This is a great description of what I love about a good Rick. People often get wrapped up in the clank and completely miss that singing upper register stuff (see the Jon Camp clip I posted). Nothing does that like a Rick IMO, and as further evidenced by the same clip, it's the contrast of those singing, bell-like upper register tones with the aggressive, snarly lower register tones that really does it for me.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1330214262' post='1554305']
This is a great description of what I love about a good Rick. People often get wrapped up in the clank and completely miss that singing upper register stuff (see the Jon Camp clip I posted). Nothing does that like a Rick IMO, and as further evidenced by the same clip, it's the contrast of those singing, bell-like upper register tones with the aggressive, snarly lower register tones that really does it for me.
[/quote]

Very true - those higher tones are what sold me on my Ric having never played one before. I'm one of those players where there really isn't a 'dusty end', so I'm chuffed.

I love the sound of the Jam in this era. Three piece at its best. Huge bass and edgy guitar.

I play my 4001 with flats but go for the same size in the mix...

[quote name='woodster909' timestamp='1330289647' post='1555344']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whSYTSXm8wo[/media]
[/quote]

I was going to post a clip of Northern Lights quite early in this thread but then when I looked around for examples it seemed they were all on a twin neck that doesn't look like a ric at all (John Birch or similar maybe?). I'd assumed it was a ric from the studio sound but presumably it wasn't. Great bassline all the same.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1330345483' post='1555884']
I was going to post a clip of Northern Lights quite early in this thread but then when I looked around for examples it seemed they were all on a twin neck that doesn't look like a ric at all (John Birch or similar maybe?). I'd assumed it was a ric from the studio sound but presumably it wasn't. Great bassline all the same.
[/quote]

The studio version is definitely Rick. My 4003 with the tone cap engaged and everything full on pretty much nails that tone, it's joyous.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1330188803' post='1553933']
Not from that, but a lovely example of Jon and just about my holy grail of Rick tone (along with Messrs Squire & Kilmister):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_5h0SKUSM[/media]
[/quote]

Not forgetting Northern Lights:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLuEI6MdCw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLuEI6MdCw[/media]

Technically not a Rick but the sound is awesome.

Edited by GT40Graham

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1330348905' post='1555951']
The studio version is definitely Rick. My 4003 with the tone cap engaged and everything full on pretty much nails that tone, it's joyous.
[/quote]

As I mentioned in my earlier post I'd assumed it was too but then why go to the trouble of always apparently playing it live on a different instrument? there are 2 or 3 youtube clips which I think are from around the time the original was recorded and they are all on a twin neck. Maybe they always played the song live immediately after a song that needed the twin neck and he didn't want to swap basses?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1330448226' post='1557679']
As I mentioned in my earlier post I'd assumed it was too but then why go to the trouble of always apparently playing it live on a different instrument? there are 2 or 3 youtube clips which I think are from around the time the original was recorded and they are all on a twin neck. Maybe they always played the song live immediately after a song that needed the twin neck and he didn't want to swap basses?
[/quote]

Perhaps he thought the double-neck looked pretty for TV appearances? It's not unheard of for someone to play different basses for recording and live use. His double-neck had twin P pickups if I recall correctly, they would sound very different. If Northern Lights isn't a Rick, I would be very, very surprised.

[quote name='GT40Graham' timestamp='1330449041' post='1557707']
Without checking properly, I seem to remember that Jon Camp's Rick was heavily customised with different pups and other mods.
[/quote]

It may have been at some point but the clips posted here (apart from the Northern Lights clip) are standard Rick tone. The Sight and Sound concert is very clear, it certainly [i]looks[/i] like a stock Rick too.