Why become a member? ×

Realisation of tone/sound

munkonthehill

So I have been getting used to my Fender Mike Dirnt bass for a few weeks now,

If anyone has been following my trail of bass gear history then you will know I have been from Epiphone to Musicman and back again. I have been mainly into active basses because I thought I liked the multitude of bass tones that they give.

Then I got a Rickenbacker and I loved its simplicity. No active contol, just 2 pickups to blend and 2 quite sensitive tone pots too.

Since i got the Ric I found I wasnt using my fender Jaguar so that with a heavy heart was swapped for the MD bass. Now with an even easier sound control (1 volume and 1tone) I am finding I am using this bass even more so than the Ric :o

There is something I didnt really expect with the P-bass compared to the Ric. The P-bass is much more cleaner sounding compared to a woolier sounding Ric. The amount of bass the ric puts out is bloody shocking for a passive bass. The Ric is an out and out rock bass. I love the looks and I love the sound. The P-bass actually kicks out more treble with the tone on 100% and it goes down to a nice Motown fat bass with the tone all the way down.

My band members say the Fender sounds much better in the mix of our band and I should take that to our first gig next week instead of the Ric (which hasnt been gigged by me yet). I agree with the sound but I am also dying to show off my lovely Jetglow ;)

I cant actually remember where I was going with this post. I just started writing and thought I would post it anyway.

[quote name='munkonthehill' timestamp='1329645578' post='1545134']
...the Fender sounds much better in the mix of our band and I should take that to our first gig next week...
[/quote]

Now you're getting it. People will try a P-Bass solo and say, 'What's all the fuss about?'.
A P is simple and straightforward, but it sounds great and sits very well in a live mix. What more d'you want? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329647870' post='1545191']
Now you're getting it. People will try a P-Bass solo and say, 'What's all the fuss about?'.
A P is simple and straightforward, but it sounds great and sits very well in a live mix. What more d'you want? :D
[/quote]

Doesn't sit in my band's mix at all. Gets lost, sounds muddy and the the higher strings had too much high end twang.

Will be sticking with my active musicmen forever I guess.

Funny thing - you were such a keen advocate of the Jaguar, which was so complicated I'd swear they got the controls designed by NASA, but have pretty well gone full circle to one split pup and simple controls.

I have to say I am following in your footsteps to an extent and don't miss my Jag. Although I still prefer an active bass, I'm preferring a single pup. I have a couple of P/J configured basses but only ever select the P pup.

I had a similar P bass moment at the studio last week. I've owned various P basses in my time, a US 78, a 70s CIJ and a 51 and found them all missing something in a live situation. BUT at the studio I played a mexican 50s P and I loved it. I don't think it will replace my T-40 live but I was blown away by the recorded tone. The balance was off on this particular one though with the body being too light.

I started out with a American P bought for $600 brand new in a shop in Vegas ... It's still the only bass I've owned. I'm actually dying to get another bass .. as a back up on stage .. but mainly down to GAS. Every single time I've taken my p to a shop to try out basses .. even when I've had the cash in my wallet .. I've walked away as I know I'd never use it. I'm at the stage now of just buying a second hand bass off here without trying it .. just so I've got a back up. Part of me thinks I should just save up a bit of dosh and get another p ... Having said that I'd be cheaper flying to America buying it there and flying back than walking down to my local music store.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1329653605' post='1545317']
. I've owned various P basses in my time, a US 78, a 70s CIJ and a 51 and found them all missing something in a live situation. BUT at the studio I played a mexican 50s P and I loved it.
[/quote]

One man's meat etc., etc., - for recording I prefer my Jap 57 reissue, but for gigs prefer the US 79... Funny old world, innit?