Why become a member? ×

Calling Rickenbacker owners in Kent

Shaker

Just a heads up.

There is a slightly beaten up Burgundyglo 1978 Ric 4001 (listed as a 4003 for some reason) on sale in the Gallery at £1350.

http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=2196&type=Bass%20Guitar

If it's anything like mine (a 1978 BG) it could be a truly great bass. My one is light, v well balanced and with an amazing skinny neck. If you can get to London give it a go.

cheers

Nick

Edited by Cairobill

[quote name='Shaker' timestamp='1330538466' post='1559109']
Hi Stag

If I can't find a more local solution, and depending on the date, I'll try to get there.

Any more local Ricky owners?

Shaker
[/quote]

You should come anyway! I hear its going to be really good :)

[quote name='Cairobill' timestamp='1330611445' post='1560343']
PS that's going by their website. You should phone ahead if you go...
[/quote]

Oh my. I'd have been all over that if i hadnt bought my 4003BG!

• 1 month later...

I have played Ricks for 27 years off and on, now, we often hear of "the sound" they do have a distinctive clank and growl, but that can also be the problem, if you want a smooth finger bass sound, then forget the Rick, they are a very 1 trick pony soundwise.
Also they hang very funny, to be comfortable you have to hang them high or low, you can not get them where you can get a jazz or precision bass.
Often you see most people move them on after the urge to have one has settled and they find out that it has no versitility at all sound wise and is akward to play live.
You hear of famous players, but how many stuck with them ? not many is the answer.
If the band suits that sound, say a mod band, or a sixties band then they are ideal.
With the advent of bass effects the sound is easily replicated with some good duncan pickups and a compressor and eq, so that angle is even under attack these days.
Then we move on to the price.
Here is where you often sit and wonder why they are valued so high, the bridges can bend up, new strings can sound very dull very quickly, yet sparkle when swapped to other basses and the finish can mark very easily.
But if it is a Rick you crave then only 1 thing will quench your thirst, ..

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1334226436' post='1612732']
Shaker, my Gherson faker is now for sale if you fancy a low cost/low risk flirtation with a Ric-like instrument. I'm just down the road from you after all :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Discrete link (given recent undiplomatic US corporate intervention) at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173293-late-70searly-80s-gherson-copy-of-a-famous-brand-bass-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/173293-late-70searly-80s-gherson-copy-of-a-famous-brand-bass-for-sale/[/url]

[quote name='bassman2790' timestamp='1329584506' post='1544563']
You're doing the right thing Shaker. I've played Fenders and their clones for the past 30 years. It was always a dream of mine to own a Ricky. The sale of my house last year made my dream a reality. I tried so hard to get on with it, great sound and absolutely gorgeous to look at but just too different in the way it sat and played. Eventually it had to go and the SR5 that sits in it's place is so much more [b]me[/b]
[/quote]

You and me both......I think we both found out that Fender shapes work better ;-)