Why become a member? ×

Magic Moments in music

Bilbo

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1329425702' post='1542425']

....and don't even get me started on Los Endos, also from Seconds Out.

[/quote]

For me SO is one of the best live albums I know of. The CD version even has the tracks in the order I remember them (although it was a little while ago), I love listening to it through my headphones, volume turned up a tad, in a dimly lit room - just like being there again.

+1 for the Firth of Fifth, and Shine on.

A couple of bits from the classical world that make my hairs stand on end...

The off stage trumpet section near the beginning of the 2nd movement ( Dies Irae ) of Verdi's Requeim and a bit half way through the first movement of Brahms's Violin Concerto where the opening section is repeated, except with the orchestra taking the violin solo part, and the soloist playing the whole accompliment in a series of amazing arpeggios.

I remember a radio program years ago called "The Tingle Factor" that dealt with exactly the kind of moment we are describing

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1329482371' post='1543089']

For me SO is one of the best live albums I know of. I love listening to it through my headphones, volume turned up a tad, in a dimly lit room.
[/quote]

I hadn't got round to Genesis yet, but +1000. My most-played album of all time. There are so many awesome bits; the excerpt from the Musical Box ("You stand there" etc), Firth of Fifth(partic the "There is in fact more earth than sea...more earth than sea" arpeg bit), Cinema Show (all the instrumental section - I love the bit where the bass plays that ascending line towards the end), Los Endos (completely unreal from start to finish and a millio times better than the TOTT version) and of course Supper's Ready; my favourite bits of that are the "Can't you see he's fooled you all" section, far better than on Foxtrot IMO, and the end "New Jerusalem" sequence.

On the theme of Genesis, other fave bits include the "all along the wagons" section of Deep in the Motherlode, the fade-out section of Say It's All Right Joe, the choruses and end section of The Lady Lies (some of my favourite bass playing too), the intro and keyboard solo at the end of Entangled (heck, just the whole song), and doubtless many others.

For those that like a bit of prog, you really should give Moon Safari from Sweden a go (not the Air track)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N3HxHi2GIs[/media]

Picked up a couple of their albums on eMusic then got the most recent on Amazon. There are numerous bits in the track above, and all through the albums that are just glorious (IMO obviously) 1:35, again around 3:24, 9:30, 11:30, the swoop around 12:15 just make me feel good everytime

I have been listening to these albums over and over, and never seem to tire of them

And this one (which reminds me a little of Springsteen Meeting Across the River from Born To Run in the piano figure at the start)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atqVpQO_ByA

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='Alec 'Aleb' Mills' timestamp='1329486101' post='1543202']
Maynard Ferguson's Solo at the beginning of [i]Gospel John[/i]
[/quote]

That is great.

The Piano playing and composing skills of Dave Grusin ...
The opening section of 'On Golden Pond' such a moving bit of music.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1329444288' post='1542706']
The first 7 seconds of this sends shivers up my spine (and the rest), I don't believe I've ever heard a more powerful intro to a song in my life

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJDnJ0vXUgw[/media]
[/quote]

Now I really, really love the Stones - I've never yet heard anyone cover any of their songs better .............................
apart from this.......... the rasping bass, the manic playing, the perfectly timed false end (damn - I gave it away)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBFVdxQgALw

Too many to mention, but a few that immediately spring to mind are:

Close To The Edge by Yes - Rick Wakeman's glorious 'Seasons of Man' organ solo - not just a thing of wonder in itself but how it enters after the vocal harmony build-up is bordering on perfection.

Mustapha by Queen - About a minute or so into the song where suddenly everything just gets 'bigger'. If you know the track you'll get what I mean B)

Oblivion by Mastodon - About halfway through the guitar solo when the key suddenly changes. Totally unexpected and quite breathtaking.

And another vote for Genesis, this time for those huge Mellotron 'swoops' in The Fountain of Salmacis. Played at deafening volume by my Dad when I was a kid, it used to send me running from the room in terror.