Why become a member? ×

Ok, I'm in love

Linus27

I started the evening by watching Alex Al testing out the Reidmar on the EBS blog which then led me to watch the Tal Wilkenfeld videos on the same blog. This then led me to Tal testing a Kala solid body UBass which I must admit sounded very cool and given me a wee bit of GAS. This then led me to Tal performing Serendipity on some Aussie breakfast morning show which I thought was interesting and quite refreshing. This led me to watching some more Tal videos (stay with me here now, its not quite going where you think its going) which then led me to a Jeff Beck video playing a song called Nadia at Ronnie Scotts with, yep, Tal on bass. At first, I thought, ooh, why is he playing rock sounding guitar over Jazz, it sounds all bendy and messy and as subtle as a brick but I'll stick with it as the footage is really clear and I can check Tal's playing out a bit more. Jeff's playing then settled down and started to sound rather good and go more bluesy jazz. As the video went on, some of the sounds and tones Mr Beck was getting out of his guitar were quite angelic and I really liked how Tal just sat in the back dropping little runs in now and again. Now my curiosity had kicked in, it then led me to another Jeff Beck video from the same session, this time with Imogen Heap singing a song called Blanket and again Mr Becks guitar playing was sublime. Now, I really don't like blues but I am in love with Jeff Becks playing, at least on these videos and I am so going to get the Blueray of this gig. Plus the drummer was awsome and ok, I admit, I do have a little soft spot for Tal now. I am not going to watch anymore clips now as I will be up all night and thats a really bad thing.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drAv2FoYji8&feature=related[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z79pgPn357g[/media]

Jeff is a master of the guitar, I always take opportunities to watch him. Thanks for the links.

Who could help a soft spot for Tal and that smile! Its a wonderful gig to have, not the easiest by any means, and she does nothing less than fill it admirably. I'm sure she's a pleasure to have around too.

Aussie and 26. I've been playing longer than she's been alive and still working towards that standard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf-J_sJB29Q

Refreshing.

Jeff Beck is one of those guys who plays great, great guitar and who can play some of the most moving rock guitar music ever heard but he can also play some absolute tasteless cack! If I had Tal's gig, I know me and JB would have a falling out every day about his choice of material. I'd have to sack him.....:lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329302866' post='1540180']
I know me and JB would have a falling out every day about his choice of material. I'd have to sack him..... :lol:
[/quote]I guess you're meaning Over the Rainbow and the like. Unfortunately, this is Harvey Goldsmith's influence. It's HG's attempt to get get JB more mainstream. :rolleyes:
Jeff Beck is a good example of a musician who isn't the greatest technician in the world, but, has incredible flair. Possibly one of the most instantly recognisable musicians around.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329302866' post='1540180']
Jeff Beck is one of those guys who plays great, great guitar and who can play some of the most moving rock guitar music ever heard but he can also play some absolute tasteless cack! If I had Tal's gig, I know me and JB would have a falling out every day about his choice of material. I'd have to sack him..... :lol:
[/quote]

I know exactly what you mean- about the first bit anyway. If I had Tal's gig the reference to cack would relate more to my trousers.

Yes, its Rainbow etc, so if there's an alternative reason then I'm a little happier.

His technique is one of the examples of there being no right or wrong technique for these 'popular' instruments. His left hand wouldn't pass Grade 1, yet would you prefer to listen to a Grade 8 guitar student? Clapton is the same - although I'd take JB anyday. My opinion is that standards have risen immeasurably over the years, playing which made you 'God' in the 60s is now surpassed by teenagers in pub bands. Young Tal's technique is certainly an example for any student (and also those who spend time building up their finger and hand muscles!)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1329304286' post='1540217']
I know exactly what you mean- about the first bit anyway. If I had Tal's gig the reference to cack would relate more to my trousers.

Yes, its Rainbow etc, so if there's an alternative reason then I'm a little happier.

His technique is one of the examples of there being no right or wrong technique for these 'popular' instruments. His left hand wouldn't pass Grade 1, yet would you prefer to listen to a Grade 8 guitar student? Clapton is the same - although I'd take JB anyday. My opinion is that standards have risen immeasurably over the years, playing which made you 'God' in the 60s is now surpassed by teenagers in pub bands. Young Tal's technique is certainly an example for any student (and also those who spend time building up their finger and hand muscles!)
[/quote]

Great post.

Trouble with teenagers in bedrooms is they 'get' the issues around velocity and playing fast but there are so many of the great guitar players of yesteryear who have a depth to their playing that these new kids lack. Beck, Leslie West, Clem Clempson, Peter Green, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, even Eddie Van Halen all had great sounds which they achieved using the right guitar, pick-ups, strings, amps and gain and the like. The new guys get it through 0.7 mm strings and dialling in a digital effect. They often lack the personality of the greats. Its no different in Jazz. There is a lot of faux Coltrane playing but it doesn't come anywhere near competing with the depth of Lester Young or COleman Hawkins etc. I guess the difference is that which exists between Art and craft. YOu can copy an original but it will always be a copy.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1329306104' post='1540250']
Trouble with teenagers in bedrooms is they 'get' the issues around velocity and playing fast but there are so many of the great guitar players of yesteryear who have a depth to their playing that these new kids lack. Beck, Leslie West, Clem Clempson, Peter Green, BB King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, even Eddie Van Halen all had great sounds which they achieved using the right guitar, pick-ups, strings, amps and gain and the like. The new guys get it through 0.7 mm strings and dialling in a digital effect. They often lack the personality of the greats. Its no different in Jazz. There is a lot of faux Coltrane playing but it doesn't come anywhere near competing with the depth of Lester Young or COleman Hawkins etc. I guess the difference is that which exists between Art and craft. YOu can copy an original but it will always be a copy.
[/quote]

Another great post and I guess this is why I am not a big fan of certain pedals and amp simulating effects.

Yes, I agree with it all too, no pedals etc in my house - this is a lovely back slapping thread isn't it?

However ...! There are some cracking musicians out there performing and creating great music which you just wouldn't have heard years ago. Things have developed and moved on and we owe it to those legends who pushed boundaries in their day to allow today's musicians to build upon what's now available.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1329304525' post='1540226']
I like the way she's actually quite geeky (for want of a better word). Too many successful female bass players are suspiciously supermodel-esque.
[/quote]

Yep, Tal's right up my street in every possible way....and I absolutely love her playing too. If I had her gig I'd happily have her replace me!

Beck I have utmost respect for as a player whilst not actually being overly keen on much of his playing or music, if that makes sense.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1329304525' post='1540226']
I like the way she's actually quite geeky (for want of a better word). Too many successful female bass players are suspiciously supermodel-esque.
[/quote]

Yeah I like that, even in her facial expressions. Her clothes are also very 70's and retro with just a plain faded T-shirt. The geek look works for me :)

Edited by Linus27

I saw Jeff with this band in Manchester the same year I think, and it was utterly fantastic. He is one of the best musicians I've ever heard - having great text book 'technique' is soooo over-rated in my book - what's important are the ideas and the feel (irrespective of how how you achieve them), not how many notes you can cram in to a few bars...

Edited by JellyKnees

I saw them in Manchester too (and met them both; she was absolutely lovely!). She was great, although her sound wasn't very clear from where I was; very toppy-bottomy and not much else. Ironically I saw Lenny Kravitz the following night and the low-tech bass there (Fenders - probably with flats - and Ashdown) was clear as a bell. Jeff was pretty much as at Ronnie's.

FWIW I have footage of Jeff's full Crossroads set and I think she comes across much better on that than the Ronnie Scotts dvd. Her sound is much better IMO (not keen on the RS footage bass sound, no real substance) and she really plays her arse off.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1329324329' post='1540694']
Don't forget, Linus27, it was JB's guitar playing that your cleverly worked original post declared your love!
[/quote]

HEHE oopps thats for spotting, must not give some of my true feelings away :D

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329335936' post='1540939']
I saw them in Manchester too (and met them both; she was absolutely lovely!). She was great, although her sound wasn't very clear from where I was; very toppy-bottomy and not much else. Ironically I saw Lenny Kravitz the following night and the low-tech bass there (Fenders - probably with flats - and Ashdown) was clear as a bell. Jeff was pretty much as at Ronnie's.

FWIW I have footage of Jeff's full Crossroads set and I think she comes across much better on that than the Ronnie Scotts dvd. Her sound is much better IMO (not keen on the RS footage bass sound, no real substance) and she really plays her arse off.
[/quote]

I also noticed on some of the clips I played the other night that her tone was very toppy when when she played high up or very deep and boomy when played low and the middle being rather missing. I wonder if thats due to her bass as my Jazz is exactly the same.

I might get the Crossroads DVD also now if its just as good if not better.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1329341670' post='1541090']

I might get the Crossroads DVD also now if its just as good if not better.
[/quote]

The commercially available Crossroads dvd doesn't have the whole set, only a couple of numbers or so IIRC. The full set is only available as a bootleg, or was when I bought it! From a Tal perspective I definitely prefer it.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1329382998' post='1541435']
The commercially available Crossroads dvd doesn't have the whole set, only a couple of numbers or so IIRC. The full set is only available as a bootleg, or was when I bought it! From a Tal perspective I definitely prefer it.
[/quote]

Bugger :(

Any direction you can point me in to obtain a copy?

Edited by Linus27

Beck is my fave 'rock' guitarist ever - tone to die for and a massively original style, exquisite phrasing - great taste in bass players too: Tal, Doug Wimbish, Pino, Mike Mondesir, Randy Hope Taylor to name but a few - Vinnie Collaiuta ain't too shabby either :)