Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

who is Paul McCartney?

ojplaysbass

Of course, were Mr Lennon still alive he might derive a certain satisfaction from these events. I imagine a certain impish glee twinkling away behind those spectacles.

Funny too, how the Beatles, the progressive exponents of the sentiment "All you need is love" are being used as a baton by those who no doubt warbled tunelessly along to that ditty on its debut.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1329235730' post='1539308']
For me Punk was about not accepting (the) status quo. That just because rock music has been created in a particular way in the past doesn't mean that you should continue to create it that was in the future.

And it needed to be horribly destructive to make a sufficiently big enough impact against the rather pedestrian music that prevailed at the time.
[/quote]

I don't recall Les Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Camel, Focus et al making "pedestrian" music, although there was a fair bit of it in the pop charts. Rock'n'Roll started growing up in the mid-late 1960s - by the mid 70s it reached a height of maturity which punk then managed to destroy and has not been regained since, except in niche markets such as jazz/rock fusion and some of the seriously technical metal.

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1329242681' post='1539495']
Rock'n'Roll started growing up in the mid-late 1960s - by the mid 70s it reached a height of maturity which punk then managed to destroy and has not been regained since...
[/quote]

I'm not so sure about that. There are a number of bands who have come up over the last decade or so who don't seem to be too bothered about the 'destruction' of rock by punk - The Black Keys, for example.

Edited by discreet

I don't recall Les Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Camel, Focus et al making "pedestrian" music, although there was a fair bit of it in the pop charts. Rock'n'Roll started growing up in the mid-late 1960s - by the mid 70s it reached a height of maturity which punk then managed to destroy and has not been regained since, except in niche markets such as jazz/rock fusion and some of the seriously technical metal.
[/quote]

Who tf is Les Zeppelin lol

Edited by leftybassman392

[/quote]
I must admit to enjoying all the bands you've mentioned back in the 70's, and punk did indeed make them seem fairly pedestrian to an excitable 14 year old.

I has to be said though, what really managed to destroy the popularity of those bands was the poor quality of their output in the late seventies.

Excuse me for asking, but is it me or are folks taking this all a bit seriously? I mean, I'm of an age where The Beatles were slap bang in the middle of my teens. If I was going to spout off about musical history and the lack of appreciation demonstrated by today's yoof, this should be something that really gets my, er, dander up. (FWIW I never let my students forget about the giants whose shoulders their heroes were standing on.) But it doesn't.

I think Skank captured it best (as usual) by reminding us that life goes on, and none of us has a right to immortality - especially if we don't make the effort to see the other point of view.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329245066' post='1539554']
This is the country where anyone can become President? Scary.

However, young master discreet knows who Hitler is, because he was recently involved in a rap battle with Darth Vader.
[/quote]

The state of American education today is abysmal. Especially at the secondary level, discipline has broken down and teachers are little more than babysitters. To make matters worse, the morale of teachers is very low. Much of this has to do with conservatives at the state level trying to slice away pay and benefits for teachers. The poster boy for this sort of thing is Scott Walker, the moronic governor of Wisconsin. Unfortunately, there are many others just like him. The point of saying this, of course, is that when I see a video of young people not even knowing the most basic facts of history, I'm not surprised at all. Add to that, that there really is a "coolness" factor on the part of students themselves to not bother learning about the past.