Why become a member? ×

Recommended Listening

jakenewmanbass

I did a gig with Jim Mullen years ago - everything he called went like s*** off a stick and he didn't use charts, just expected you to know everything (I didn't). He was a nice enough guy but I felt that his perceived unwillingness to work WITH us as a trio resulted in a poorer experience for us and the audience alike.

Jim looked good, tho'. :)

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='172939' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:06 AM']I did a gig with Jim Mullen years ago - everything he called went like s*** off a stick and he didn't use charts, just expected you to know everything (I didn't). He was a nice enough guy but I felt that his perceived unwillingness to work WITH us as a trio resulted in a poorer experience for us and the audience alike.

Jim looked good, tho'. :)[/quote]
Thats a shame, my experience was nothing like that. He is a little gruff, battle worn, but a lovely guy and a great player.
I had the experience you mention with Bobby Wellins, who is a good player but was nothing short of a c*** to us in the trio.

Edited by jakesbass

I guess these guys have bad days like the rest of us and must get a bit hacked off with local rhythm sections that don't deliver what they want/expect. This all happened at least 10 years ago - I'd like to have a crack at him again - if he pulled a stunt like he did last time, I would have something to say this time (I am a little more confident now!!).

I know he's bigger than me but, when you faced down a serial killer, you know you can do ANYTHING :) :huh: ;)

Absolutely, If Mr Wellins or anybody for that matter treated me that way these days, I would be putting my bass back in the bag after the run through. Thing is they probably would see that confidence now and not behave so badly.
As for serial killers my misses was a psychiatric nurse for a while so have to face down the one who can face down the serial killers... bring it on bad boy :)

Edited by jakesbass

[b]Guy Pratt[/b] - 'Toy Matinee' album

[b]Tiran Porter[/b] - all the Doobie Brothers albums from 'Toulouse St' - 'One Step Closer'

[b]Peter Cetera[/b] - all the Chicago albums from 'Chicago Transit Authority' - 'XIII'

[b]Joe Puerta[/b] - all five classic 'Ambrosia' albums

[b]Verdine White[/b] - anything by E,W & F

[b]Dee Murray[/b] - any classic 70's Elton John

[b]Rocco Prestia[/b] - any Tower Of Power

[b]Rutger Gunnarsson[/b] - any Abba

Edited by cetera

[quote name='jakesbass' post='171226' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:48 AM']I've just taken delivery of Soul Speak by Michael McDonald.
As a revue of lots of old soul material, like his two motown albums it's great, he has avoided being compared as a poor cousin to the originals and used mostly the same players so all three have a continuity. It's Nathan East on bass and he is the epitome of interesting yet unobtrusive solid and very groovy.
I would highly recommend them.

This could be a chance to be a long running thread, I can think of loads of albums that I would strongly recommend to anyone who is taking bass playing seriously (or for fun), there are real greats that should just not be missed. I'm sure that fellow BCers will have as many recommendations.
Jake[/quote]

One of my favourite artists, remember seeing him with the Dan years ago. He is touring this June, doing London, Brum and Manchester. I should be going to the Manchester date on the 21st.
Thanks for the heads up on the new album, I've just ordered it!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='172966' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:26 AM']So who else here can claim to have faced down a razorblade weilding serial killer?[/quote]
Anyone, obviously.

Whether it's true or not is another question, but anyone can [i]claim[/i] to.

Venusian Summer by Lenny White. bass syncopation masterclass!!!
hard to get hold of, but worth the wait.
Borboletta/caravanseri by Santana. masterworks in lower freq wonders.

Stanley Clarke by Stanley Clarke! Slapper's Delight!!!

Calle 54 by Michel Camilo. AJ is the dude.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='173172' date='Apr 9 2008, 02:59 PM']Correctomondo Mr Wil sir - awsome, esp. [url="http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=U4eY59blvSM"]"Big Dick"[/url] - brutal.[/quote]

Yep, great line that. Great raucous tone, too.

Showing my age (and tastes) here but IMHO Led Zeppelin II for a masterclass in rock/blues rock, an Aretha Franklin greatest hits that covers the late 60s/early 70s stuff for some top soul bass playing courtesy of Chuck Rainey, Jerry Jemmott etc, an Elvis Costello comp for Bruce Thomas, Live at Leeds for supercharged Entwhistle.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='172966' date='Apr 9 2008, 11:26 AM']Well I'm a serial killer and face myself down every morning whilst shaving.[/quote]

bit of a serial killer myself.........

today i murdered a bowl of shredded wheat...(THREE!), yesterday was weetabix, day before corn flakes.....etc

oops cereal....doh! :)

[quote name='kennyrodg' post='175565' date='Apr 13 2008, 11:12 AM']I just listened to little ghetto child from donny hathaway live,awesome awesome track !!
thanks jakesbass.[/quote]
YW, theres plenty more, I'll keep thinking them up.

Here's one for double bass:
Pat Metheney 'Still Life Talking'
Steve Rodby astoundingly solid and inventive at the same time

apologies if this isnt quite the right section for this post but......
For Jakesbass,hoping i can return the complement.
"Spain" faturing the man himself on the rhodes and some very tasty upright playing
i hope you like it.
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95pQ7f-iJQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z95pQ7f-iJQ...feature=related[/url]

edit,i forgot to mention,there's a very tasty part at 4mins 45 ish where the drummer gets rid of his fag and doesnt miss a beat........nice.

Edited by kennyrodg