Why become a member? ×

Recommended Listening

jakenewmanbass

• 2 weeks later...

Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten playing "A Chick From Corea."
I absolutely adore this piece. It's the second theme that i love, that Steve plays on his fretless (starts at 46 seconds in). I think it's truely magical.
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=cKXn-1v75Gg"]Chick From Corea[/url]

Also, the beginning of "Better Get Hit In Yo' Soul" by Charlie Mingus. I like all Mingus stuff though!
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=WHgKVneffZ4&feature=related"]Better Get Hit In Yo' Soul[/url]
It's one of my fave pieces to play with my Jazz Band!
(I'm no where near as good as the guy in the video though..)

Herbie Hancock's "Tell Everybody."
LOVE the bassline to this, but i can't do slap bass, i have no idea where to start, no money to get a teacher, and my double bass teacher teaches purely classical. I'll try work it out one day..
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=yff4h50Bv60"]Tell Everybody[/url]

And Geoff Gascoyne deserves a mention. Because i think he is amazing.
[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=4_yyMcbpdg4"]Geoff (And Jamie Cullum)[/url]

Sorry i'm so jazz orientated.. I'm really badly educated in music.. Still i think these have to be some of my favourites that i have come across so far!

Edited by MissPenguin

[quote name='Paul Cooke' post='185596' date='Apr 25 2008, 09:30 PM']recommended listening? anything with Tommy Shannon or "Duck" Dunn playing...[/quote]
Many of the albums/tracks mentioned and +1 zillion for Jamerson on What's Going On

but add (taking in some varied genres :)):

Space Ritual - Hawkwind (Lemmy pre Motorhead holds bunch of stoned hippies together fabulously)
PIL - Metal Box (Jah Wobble's fabulous punk-dub fusion)
Bill Evans trio - Waltz for Debbie (simply the most mnd-blowing and ahead-of-its-time jazz double bass playing ever by Scott Lafaro)

I have wide musical tastes even though I play in a noisy punk band!

[quote name='Clarky' post='185615' date='Apr 25 2008, 10:16 PM']Many of the albums/tracks mentioned and +1 zillion for Jamerson on What's Going On

but add (taking in some varied genres :)):

Space Ritual - Hawkwind (Lemmy pre Motorhead holds bunch of stoned hippies together fabulously)
PIL - Metal Box (Jah Wobble's fabulous punk-dub fusion)
Bill Evans trio - Waltz for Debbie (simply the most mnd-blowing and ahead-of-its-time jazz double bass playing ever by Scott Lafaro)

I have wide musical tastes even though I play in a noisy punk band![/quote]
+1 for Scott LaFaro, a tragic premature death, all the Bill Evans trio albums with him and Paul Motian are astounding and as you say years ahead of their time. Talk about interplay!!!

[quote name='umph' post='173221' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:35 PM']is that serious?[/quote]

[quote name='cetera' post='173231' date='Apr 9 2008, 03:42 PM']Why not? It's a supremely solid bit of bass playing.... :)[/quote]

Anything of ACDC is worth learning/listening to. It is the law in all forms of bass playing, if a player can't lay it down, they're not worth a light.

[quote name='Jase' post='191412' date='May 4 2008, 12:33 AM']Anything of ACDC is worth learning/listening to. It is the law in all forms of bass playing,[/quote]

Not just bass playing. Life in general.

When confronted with any of lifes big decisions, I ask myself "what would Bon Scott do".

I then go and get pissed and have a kip in a friends car.

[quote name='dood' post='172718' date='Apr 8 2008, 11:13 PM']Hell yeah and especially 'V' by Spock's Beard! Dave Meros is an awesome bass player with a super sexy bass tone. He's also a really nice approachable guy too.

I will of course have to give props to my band mates and suggest listening to Sikth and James Leach's awesome bass playing. Tone, punch and some wicked bass lines![/quote]
to which I would add SB9. The post Neal band but still some really nice, and varied bass lines. [i]Thinks, must order my tickets for July!!![/i]

And also The Tubes. Rick Anderson probably belongs in the under rated thread as well as he covers quite a few styles over the entire discography and always with a line that suits the song so well.

Edited by WalMan

Even though she doesn’t play bass anybore every bassist should listen to Pamelia Kurstin, she gets a very double bassy sound out of her moog. Check her myspace out, the London 2 live song she has is a personal favourite.

Gotta be the Meters 'Rejuvination', first Level 42's 6 albums, Stanley Clarke 'School Days, Primus 'Sailing the Seas of Cheese' Weather Report 'Heavy Weather','Black Market', Jaco's first album and 'Word of Mouth',James Brown 'In The Jungle Groove', Red hot Chili Peppers 'Blood Sugar Sex Magic',a Police 'Greatest Hits',Marvin Gaye 'Whats Goin' on', John Pattitucci 'On The Corner',Rage Against the Machine 1st album',Living Colour 'Stain',Jamiroquai first 2 albums,Prince '1999',Defunkt 'Anthology',Best of Grace Jones(all with sly and robbie).Herbie Hancock 'Headhunters', 'Manchild' and god knows how many more. :)

I cant speak for everybody but geezer butler on the early sabbath recordings (deep,loud and awesome to boot).
Since starting to learn last year i listen to any bass player really and not just rock but i always go back to rock, funk is really good as well and i"m trying to get my head around the bassline to I WANT YOU BACK by the jackson 5 which i think is brilliant.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Mcdrewson' post='308254' date='Oct 16 2008, 11:12 PM']Some of the tracks on 'Joe Zawinul & The Zawinul Syndicate - World Tour' are plain awesome, in particular 'Patriots'. Richard Bona on bass I think?[/quote]

Yeah Richard Bona was in the Zawinul Syndicate.

I went to see them at Ronnie Scott's in about 2001 and they had a guy called Etienne Mbappe. He was a monster as well.

Anything by Mark king, the best bass player ever (in my opinion), true groove and skill, how he sings and plays and chews gum ill never know, watch a video of eyes waterfalling by level 42 on youtube....f*ckin hell! what a monster!

Stanley clarke, a bit boring sometimes but a true bass playing god, every bass player should have heard his music at some point!

Marcus miller, what a name :) lol, just a fantastic bass player, his double thumbing is mind blowing, check out his solo on teen town...its taken me a week to work out. omg andi was studying hard...

others: paul mccartney, adam clayton, john entwislte, bernard edwards, stuart zender, mike rutherford, earl falconer, paul williams (r.i.p.), louis johnson, verdine white, wojitek pilichowski!

there are others but its too late....

marcus