Why become a member? ×

To vintage or not to vintage?

martthebass

Well I've been through a fair few Fenders in my time, Jap, Chinese, Mexican and US and to a lesser or greater extent I've enjoyed them all. My current (totally Fender) squeeze is a 2002 special run Jazz 75 reissue that replaced a Musicman 30th Ray. I thought I'd regret this decision but to be honest it's quite possibly the nicest Jazz I've played coupled with the best sounds.

So what's the problem? Well I was originally looking for a nice 70s Jazz or P bass but nothing (in my price bracket) caught my eye......this 75RI came along and I thought I'd give it a run. So far it's IMHO beaten most 70s Fenders I've played in my time and my first run JV Precision (long gone unfortunately) but I still have a hankering to have a 'proper' vintage again.

So, am I being stupid and looking at things with rose tinted glasses or should I sell one of the best Jazz basses around and chase the dream?

I had one of the 2002FSR '75 basses, if I'm right it's not quite a '75ri as the body is alder more a late 60's ri. But it is, from my experience, and what I've read pretty much custom shop quality without the price tag... so an amazing bass. I don't regret selling mine, but it is possibly one of the nicest basses I've had, (just not a jazz man I guess) so you have a great bass (and great colour too). And you want to replace it with what? a fender from an era where quality control was dubious, basses were known for being heavier and.... what is the up side? will it play better than the one you have, doubt full, will it look prettier? well CAR with matching headstock is hard to beat, will it sound better.... well who knows, thats the risk (and new pups in your current bass would be a cheaper risk if you felt the need) oh the vintage rarity I suppose... but then in 20 years time a limited edition of 200 red FSR in 2002 or a generic '70s fender?
So in conclusion, if you find something vintage and it shouts at you, and is brilliant, go for it. If not why?

I got lucky with my 1978/79 (not bothered dating it exactly) Precision when I was 13. Prices then seemed to reflect the idea that Fenders from these eras were not as sought after. It cost about £380 in 1999.

I always wanted a 'vintage' jazz partner to the Precision. I played loads of Fender jazzes made in the era around 1969-1983, but didn't find any that seemed right. On top of that, the massive prices for basses in this era meant that I wasn't sure that I was actually getting a good deal. A mid to late 1970s Jazz usually goes for £1500 and above now, and in a pricepoint comparison the 'vintage' Fender's I tried could not hold a handle to the new Fenders, Sandbergs, Sadowsky Metros etc I tried. I gave up on the vintage quest after about 4 years and ended up with a Sadowsky. I mean its not 'proper vintage' but its a really good bass and I was so fed up of looking at 1970s Fenders that I was and still am happy to just play a really good bass.

So pretty much 2 - 0 in favour of keeping the FSR so far then.

I read all the BC and TB threads on these before plumping so I gather they were considered a bit special. Luke, I also was of the understanding that these were alder but the finish on mine is very thin and the grain has absorbed the laquer showing the grain and it's clearly ash or the strangest bit of alder I've ever seen.

I think I'd have to find at least £300 to make the 'upgrade' to a 70's so the jury is definitely still out.

I'm not personally so into the specific models you mention, but this is my thought on any instrument.. If you've found one (whatever the brand, model etc) that blows your socks off DON'T LET IT GO! You'll regret it forever.
Find something else to sell or else start saving if you want to seek out a specific model; you'll still have the real bonzer bass to play in the mean time.
This is how collections begin :rolleyes:

[quote name='hubrad' timestamp='1328982547' post='1535690']
I'm not personally so into the specific models you mention, but this is my thought on any instrument.. If you've found one (whatever the brand, model etc) that blows your socks off DON'T LET IT GO! You'll regret it forever.
Find something else to sell or else start saving if you want to seek out a specific model; you'll still have the real bonzer bass to play in the mean time.
This is how collections begin :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Haha.....I'd love a collection but to keep 'she that must be obeyed' sweet I stick to the 4 bass rule. A lightweight 4 fretted (for long gigs), a fretless 4, a beater 4 and a conventional looking 4 fretted (the Jazz).

Having played countless 70s Fenders, owning some, and having had a brief spell with your '75 SE, I'd say you might seriously regret selling the CAR. It's a stunning instrument and might just be worth more than a 70's J eventually - it's really rare, beautifully made, a great player and with a classic tone. Also a sensible weight...my last mid '70s J was...err...substantial indeed. Unless you can find a really stunning 70's J at a great price, I'd hang on

Edited by lozbass

IMO Mart i would keep the 75 RI.. the dream of the perfect vintage Fender is great, but do i want all the hassle and money of finding the gem that has great frets and doest weigh a tonne... no.... ive recently bought an MIJ 75 RI and its just amazing.... i really cant see an original being that much better.. and even if an original had that nuance, its not worth 1000 pounds more.. keep it dude

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1328984115' post='1535727']
Having played countless 70s Fenders, owning some, and having had a brief spell with your '75 SE, I'd say you might seriously regret selling the CAR. It's a stunning instrument and might just be worth more than a 70's J eventually - it's really rare, beautifully made, a great player and with a classic tone. Also a sensible weight...my last mid '70s J was...err...substantial indeed. Unless you can find a really stunning 70's J at a great price, I'd hang on
[/quote]

Cheers Lawrence,

Along with Bubinga's comment above I guess that's resoundingly down on the side of the 75SE. I have to admit I don't think I'd find a 70s that would play/sound better.......also I have to remember part exing a JV 57RI Precision against a US Jazz back in the late 80s because I didn't think Japanese Fenders held value well so maybe I have to learn my lesson!

Difficult situation

When I got back into basses some 10 years ago, a guy that played in the band i was rehersing with was a guitar dealer.

Taking pity on me with my 80's Yammy BB1200, he bought some p basses fof me to try one nite.

Of the 6 basses, one was a fullerton vintage re-issue and the orther were all 60's precisions

The 5 vintage basses were all tired and beat and really not that good - maybe i was unlucky

Anyway's i chose the vintage re-issue

It was the best bass and at £500 was the cheapest

Alas not the best investment - those tired/beat 60's p basses wud be worth a lot now

But definately the best sounding bass.

I have now tried a lot of fenders

The problem with the reissues and the custom shops is that they are not vintage fenders - always leaving the buyer thinking he has been short-changed

Hence the (probable) reason why this basschatter is outing this

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159886-fender-precision-custom-shop-relic-1958-mint-all-case-candy-price-drop/"]http://basschat.co.u...ndy-price-drop/[/url]

i think he has a very nice collection of vintage basses

anyway to summarise, i think the reissues (especially the fullerton americans and early jap jv's) and custom shops are truly great basses, howvere, the owners will always wonder whether they are as good as the real thing - and in reality they are probably better than many of the real things, but will not be as good as those very rare true holy grail pre-cbs basses - but who can afford those basses anyway

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Edited by gareth

i agree with you Gareth... ive never played a pre CBS Fender, but it would be nice to have an unbias opinion on what thousands of pounds more will get you.. ive gone way past the thought that a Japan Fender isnt really a proper Fender.. imo they do it better..

im thinking its really a personal thing and if you fall in love with an instrument, i... cant say i wouldnt fall for the romantic ideal... thats what im thinking alot of the vintage vibe is..... i just wouldnt fall for it when it comes to spending money.. im fairly sure my 75 RI could give any vintage 75 a whipping.. ;)

Edited by bubinga5

Thanks for the advice guys. I guess it's coming down to 'love the bass you're with not the one you want'!

Haven't gone with the 'has to be a US to be a proper Fender' for a long time, just evaluate it as a bass not whereit was made. The 75RI of mine is about 9lbs - I guess I'd struggle to find a real 75 Jazz that was as light. Now if it's staying should I fit the supplied chrome guards or will that devalue the bass lol.

If you think it is lacking, or want something different, stick some new pups in it to try it out.
Before I had my FSR 70's jazz I had a valenti with nordstrands in it... now they sounded great- if they had been in the FSR then maybe I would have kept it! Mind you, if your body was ash, then your pups were different I think to mind

Still haven't got around to taking pics of this B, but here's a link to Tonys original for sale thread which had a host of nice pics (hope you don't mind me using them T).

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160211-sold-pending-fender-jazz-usa-75-special-edition/page__p__1436188#entry1436188