Why become a member? ×

Soft Machine and the Canterbury Scene

Len_derby

I'm really enjoying listening to Soft Machine albums 3 to 7, which I bought for a £10 all together.
They're in the 'Original Album Classics' series by Columbia.
I haven't listen to some of the this stuff for nigh-on 30 years.

Can anyone recommend any books about the band and the Canterfbury Scene they were part of?

Don't know about books, but I would strongly recommend also getting the "BBC - RADIO 1967 - 1971" CD compilation - worth it for the fabulous "Top Gear" live version of Moon in June alone. Also, Vol 2 is a brilliant album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L-Ylf4UV1w&feature=fvst

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328711663' post='1531495']
I seem to recall a book called 'Canterbury Rock', but I can't remember any details about it... I'll Google it later, or maybe you can Len, I gotta go do the school run! :D
[/quote]

How's your Italian? ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canterbury-Rock-Robert-Machine-Hillage/dp/123262750X/ref=as_li_wdgt_js_ex?&linkCode=wsw&tag=bumblebeecons-21

Thanks for all the feedback and info chaps. As someone said above, a lot of these players are still around and active. However, the longest serving bassist, Hugh Hopper, died in 2009.

It's all great stuff. Very English and eccentric.
Everyone else in the house hates it though. :D

Caravan are great: check out Waterloo Lily, If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It Over You and their brilliant In The Land Of Grey And Pink.

The common thread with these albums is bassist Richard Sinclair - I can't recommend him enough, and his voice is perfect for the band as well. You'll also find him in Hatfield And The North, look out for their eponymous album and follow-up The Rotter's Club.

I saw Soft Machine a few times in recent years when Hugh was still with us - wonderful stuff. I once ended up sitting a few feet away from him when they played downstairs at the Pizza Express on Dean St. A big lesson there.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1328821514' post='1533365']
Caravan are great: check out Waterloo Lily, If I Could Do It All Over Again I'd Do It Over You and their brilliant In The Land Of Grey And Pink.

The common thread with these albums is bassist Richard Sinclair - I can't recommend him enough, and his voice is perfect for the band as well. You'll also find him in Hatfield And The North, look out for their eponymous album and follow-up The Rotter's Club.

I saw Soft Machine a few times in recent years when Hugh was still with us - wonderful stuff. I once ended up sitting a few feet away from him when they played downstairs at the Pizza Express on Dean St. A big lesson there.
[/quote]

You have to pop into BassGear & play on his old fretless - Phil is more than happy for people to play it. It's just not for sale!

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1328830862' post='1533605']
There is a current Canterbury scene also :rolleyes:
[/quote]

So, when you playing next?
Must admit, Canterbury has always seemed out on a limb regarding gigs round here. Hardly ever get to play it.

As far as I know...CAravan had some dates lined up but a few stalwarts aren't/can't do them, so not sure who the band line-up is.

I guess I should visit a few pubs round there :lol: <_<

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1328865026' post='1533768']
As far as I know...CAravan had some dates lined up but a few stalwarts aren't/can't do them, so not sure who the band line-up is.

I guess I should visit a few pubs round there :lol: <_<
[/quote]

I saw Caravan playing in a school hall (when I say school, I mean The King's School - it's [i]old[/i]) last Autumn. The line-up is frontman Pye Hastings who's been there forever, Geoffrey Richardson on viola, guitar, spoons etc who's a long-time member. Original drummer Richard Coughlan has had to retire recently due to poor health to be replaced by Mark Walker (also can be seen in Rolf Harris's touring band); Jan Schelhaas and Jim Leverton on keys and bass are relative newcomers (ie within the last 10-20 years)

They're doing another Canterbury gig very soon: see [url="http://www.caravan-info.co.uk/events/2012/03/04/canterburychristchurchprogrockweekend2012"]http://www.caravan-info.co.uk/events/2012/03/04/canterburychristchurchprogrockweekend2012[/url]

There's some great pubs in the area as well :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328830654' post='1533598']
You have to pop into BassGear & play on his old fretless - Phil is more than happy for people to play it. It's just not for sale!
[/quote]

I'll check it out next time I'm passing! I think I have pictures somewhere...

*rummage*

Is this it? (May 13 2006 at the Borderline, history fans)

Edited by toneknob

+1 for the Paul Stump book.

I also have a Hatfield and The North DVD I put up for sale on Amazon (mine is the £12 one)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000062XI1/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

Anyone who wants it here can have a Basschat discount!! (PM me)

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1328866413' post='1533803']
I saw Caravan playing in a school hall (when I say school, I mean The King's School - it's [i]old[/i]) last Autumn. The line-up is frontman Pye Hastings who's been there forever, Geoffrey Richardson on viola, guitar, spoons etc who's a long-time member. Original drummer Richard Coughlan has had to retire recently due to poor health to be replaced by Mark Walker (also can be seen in Rolf Harris's touring band); Jan Schelhaas and Jim Leverton on keys and bass are relative newcomers (ie within the last 10-20 years)

They're doing another Canterbury gig very soon: see [url="http://www.caravan-info.co.uk/events/2012/03/04/canterburychristchurchprogrockweekend2012"]http://www.caravan-i...rockweekend2012[/url]

There's some great pubs in the area as well :)
[/quote]

Thanks

I knew Richard was inactive as you hardly see him in the pub these days. JL and JR are out and about

Don't know the other guys.

[quote name='toneknob' timestamp='1328866631' post='1533809']
I'll check it out next time I'm passing! I think I have pictures somewhere...

*rummage*

Is this it? (May 13 2006 at the Borderline, history fans)

[/quote]

No - the one Phil has is sunburst, I think he's had it a while as well so maybe pre-dates this one.