Why become a member? ×

Fender Std Precision and Squier Vintage Modified Precision: The Difference?

Marvin

Seriously looking at getting a Pbass and although the merits of both have been discussed infinitum, apart from the headstock logo and being made in different parts of the world, what is the difference between a Mexican Precision and its Squier Vintage Mod counterpart? What is it that makes that near £200 difference?

Is the neck different? Can you get a better set up on one? Body wood? Pick ups? General feel? :blink:

EDIT: One difference I noticed, the MIM comes in different colours, otherwise - [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/productComparison.php?section=basses"]http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/productComparison.php?section=basses[/url]

Edited by Marvin

Hmmm, difficult one that. Not had any dealings with the Vintage Modified, but do have a Classic Vibe 60s P, and, having had MIMs in the past, I can`t really think of any real differences. In terms of playability, the Squier is right up there. It may be better quality parts/woods for the MIMs, but all in all the Squiers are great basses.

I had two of the Mex Fenders (now replaced by a Dirnt and a MIJ) and still have the Squier VM with a quarter pounder in it. I'd say that compared to the Fender, the Squier is lighter and feels less substantial, the neck isn't tinted and isn't finished as nicely, the tuning machines aren't as heavyweight or smooth and the pickup has less bite.

I'm not going to tell you the Fender is or isn't worth the extra cash, just that I think it feels like a slightly better quality instrument all round. To put it another way, the Squier is serviceable whilst the Fender is actually pleasing.

All 100% my personal opinion :)

My point of view, is that there is a most definite effort to turn up the desirability on Fender badged ones compared to Squier badged.
As above, neck tints make a huge difference to the appearance. They could do it with the squiers, but I would suggest that they don't to keep the ranges apart.
Same with scratchplates, there's a hierarchy up through squiers into Fenders.

I love the squiers, but would struggle with an affinity because it's been so decontented as I believe the car industry calls it.
Turn up the wick on desirability and you'll always find the price point for any given punter.

My own price point, no mistake, is with the Deluxe Jazz five I have and I now realise it's just me. I don't think I'll ever not have one now.
Hopefully the standard Squier J I've just acquired will be the same.

If it's any help, the Mexican Jazz Five Active I had, I didn't much care for and preferred the Squier. Both bought new.

As ever, buy the one you like and can afford.

Had a play on an MIM this morning and it was OK, seemed very solid, neck was nice and the quality was there. Unfortunately I couldn't spend too long noodling (bloody Mrs Marv phoned, "can you pick me up from..")

I'm hoping to borrow a Squier VM PBass from someone for a band practice.

Not mad keen on the sound of the Dirnt sig bass I'm afraid J. Mainly the neck. Thanks for the links.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1328384636' post='1526345']
Seriously looking at getting a Pbass and although the merits of both have been discussed infinitum, apart from the headstock logo and being made in different parts of the world, what is the difference between a Mexican Precision and its Squier Vintage Mod counterpart? What is it that makes that near £200 difference?

Is the neck different? Can you get a better set up on one? Body wood? Pick ups? General feel? :blink:

EDIT: One difference I noticed, the MIM comes in different colours, otherwise - [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/products/productComparison.php?section=basses"]http://www.fender.co...?section=basses[/url]
[/quote]

I would bet there's a big difference in the quality of the pickups. (I write this having upgraded to quality pickups on my Squier jazz and getting a HUGE difference.)

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1328389101' post='1526416']
Great video in this vein:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFZQGycfQs8&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

That video's ace. Looks like a CV's going to be the starting point for my Bitsa after seeing that.

I'll never fail to be amazed at the first time I played a P in a band situation.....it just made all my previous basses sound weedy....I could actually be heard with minimal effort!

I briefly had a VM-P, and that was a great sounding bass as well. Maybe not finished as well as the more ££££ models, but at about £255 new, there's certainly no drawbacks in my book.

I only sold it on after acquiring another P, otherwise I'd probably still have it. Good bass! :)

Go used!
I was that close (imagine gesture with finger and thumb) from getting a Modern Player then ended up buying an almost immaculate MIM deluxe P Special for about the same as the Jag and fifty notes less than the MP T or J. And its a P with a J neck for my little hands!

Still want the MP Tele though.

Edited by Leon Transaxle