Why become a member? ×

A lovely jazz w/flats jam...

wateroftyne

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1328362709' post='1525987']
WoT wheres the vid of your new bass?
[/quote]

I've given up. They all sound like a right load of b*llocks compared to the likes of the above...

Lovely, lovely bass though. I'm playing it as I type, and I'll be gigging it tonight. Beautiful.

thing is i don't get with the millions of bass vids on youtube that people put up is they just seem to be playing as many licks as they have at their disposal.

Why can't people just come up with a melody and make a song out of it, then put that up instead?

The bass sounds very nice though the guys got great technique.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1328363491' post='1526002']
thing is i don't get with the millions of bass vids on youtube that people put up is they just seem to be playing as many licks as they have at their disposal.

Why can't people just come up with a melody and make a song out of it, then put that up instead?

The bass sounds very nice though the guys got great technique.
[/quote]

As the title of his YouTube clip says, it's just an improv...

Hi WoT,

A couple of questions if that's ok?

Did the flats require a big change to the truss rod? I put a set of LaBella Deep Talking on my Jazz, got scared by how much the neck bowed and took them off shortly after fitting! :unsure:

Do you still have a wide variation in tones available compared to before fitting flats?

I like the tone you have in the vid. deep growling 'E' and yes, I liked the vid, nice one. I'm tempted to try again with flats after seeing this.
Regards
Mark

Edited by MSL

[quote name='MSL' timestamp='1328378351' post='1526238']
Hi WoT,

A couple of questions if that's ok?

Did the flats require a big change to the truss rod? I put a set of LaBella Deep Talking on my Jazz, got scared by how much the neck bowed and took them off shortly after fitting! :unsure:

Do you still have a wide variation in tones available compared to before fitting flats?

I like the tone you have in the vid. deep growling 'E' and yes, I liked the vid, nice one.
Regards
Mark
[/quote]

Hello Mark!

I'm flattered, but it's not me in the vid. I just stumbled across it.

FWIW, I use La Bella flats on my 70s J, and once the truss is tweaked a little to compensate if necessary, it's fine.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1328378652' post='1526246']
Hello Mark!

I'm flattered, but it's not me in the vid. I just stumbled across it.

FWIW, I use La Bella flats on my 70s J, and once the truss is tweaked a little to compensate if necessary, it's fine.
[/quote]

Oops!
Cheers for the reply! :blush:

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1328364346' post='1526017']
thats not improvisation thats just noodling around a key centre. Completely un musical to me
[/quote]

I also rather liked it. It made me wonder what kind of theory I need to learn to be able to noodle something like that myself. And the sound is great, I thought.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1328430553' post='1526690']
I also rather liked it. It made me wonder what kind of theory I need to learn to be able to noodle something like that myself. And the sound is great, I thought.
[/quote]

although it sounds simple its obviously not. But first learn every note on the fretboard, learn what notes are avaliable in the key you have selected and use chromatics to add flavour. His playing is just very heavily licked based, so would be easy to emulate if you chose to.

I like it up until about 1.04 because he is keeping to one lick and refers back to it, but after that it just becomes a mash up.