Why become a member? ×

Why did I not do this sooner?

Moos3h

Yes I'm not sure I quite got the shelf reference unless it's a very obscure filter gag?

When I started following and reading this thread I was firmly of the mind that the MT sounded like the next "must have" bass related gadget. However I'm increasingly more reluctant to click "Buy Now"; more so as 4 strings are quite enough for me personally. I can't quite put my finger on why this is although some of the manufacturers posts cause me to raise an eyebrow, in these uncertain economic times I wasn't really programmed for such a relaxed take it or leave it response.

Anybody else harbouring similar doubts or am I just going to have to wait for the next batch to be produced?

How about raising a posse of 4 string players to see what a "bulkier" order might do to the unit cost of a custom shop filter for us less talented/more easily confused musicians?

I read with interest some of the posts and I would like post some general comments about them.

We are of course entitled to have our own opinion and each one of them have my respect but I would like offer my personal viewpoint on some of them.

/// Technical details
As any other company operating in the technology market, [sfx] is ready to make public a certain amount of information and keep undisclosed other information.

Each company draws a line somewhere. On one side public technical details, on the other confidential information. Inevitably, this line makes someone unhappy. There is always someone that would like to know something more. I am genuinely sorry about it but it is a decision a business has to take.

As I don’t want to sound too difficult, if you really want to know more about the micro-Thumpinator please send me an email (not a PM please) where you state that you are ready to keep the information I give you confidential and that you will be ready to face the legal consequences of breaking the agreement. I’ll answer to your questions (within reason).

Just for the sake of it, I re-read all the technical information I posted in this thread. I have more experience in electronics than the average person but I can assure you that, if you wanted to do it, you have enough details to build your own version of the micro-Thumpinator. You may not end you with 100% exactly the same circuit but from the functional viewpoint it would be the same.

/// 4 vs 5 string
The micro-Thumpinator works well with 4 or 5 string bass. If you play only 4 string bass you do not need a different version. [sfx] has no plans for a 4 string version. A lot of my customers are 4 strings players and they are happy with the standard micro-Thumpinator

I play 4 and 5 string bass and I use the same micro-Thumpinator.

As a Custom Shop project I can design/build a micro-Thumpinator tuned on any frequency/instrument (e.g. cello). Although strictly speaking it is not necessary, I can make a 4 string bass version on request.

/// Take it or leave it
In all purchases there is a point in time where, after all the questions, discussions and comments it is necessary to take a decision: I’ll buy it or not. In this [sfx] is not different from any other company.

We can ask the butcher the age of the cow, where it lived, what its diet was and when and how it was killed. He can tell you that all his customers are happy with the meat of that specific cow and that he had a stake from the very same cow for lunch and that he really liked it. No matter how many questions you ask, there is a question the butcher cannot answer: whether *you* will like it or not.

Having said that, “take it or leave it” is not accurate. According to the [sfx] terms and conditions you can order a product, try it for a few days and return it back if you are not happy with it. Although I would be interested to know why you return an item, the policy is “no question asked”.

In other words, a more accurate description is: “take it, try it, keep it or return it”.

So far, no one returned a micro-Thumpinator.

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1328600949' post='1529628']
When I started following and reading this thread I was firmly of the mind that the MT sounded like the next "must have" bass related gadget. However I'm increasingly more reluctant to click "Buy Now"; more so as 4 strings are quite enough for me personally.
[/quote]

I for one definitely didn't intend to put anyone off this product - not that this discussion seems to, judging by the speed at which they flew off the shelf :) Max answered all questions reasonably and was happy disclosing construction specs, which are of a high quality. Wrt to the 4-string versus 5-string, it won't have a negative impact on the tone of a 4-string, it's just that in theory you can 'get away' with a higher cut-off and even more protection if you don't want to go down that low. In practice a roll-off beginning at 25Hz or so will still offer considerable benefit [i]assuming your amp is outputting much down there[/i] [i]in the first place[/i] (a fair few will being to roll off to varying degrees around then, including Markbass, Genz). It's only if you are playing through relatively small/high tuned cabs to their absolute limits then it won't offer total overexcursion protection, though importantly it will still help a significant amount if the amp has minimal filtering of its own. These cabs are all tuned higher than the standard low E anyway, so you could either set a filter to begin rolling off around 42Hz or for ultimate protection you would compromise slightly and roll off higher but this will be audible albeit only on the lowest notes and only a modest amount (these cabs will already be 10 or 12dB down at this point).
NB I would think based on spec the Thumpinator would be an excellent match for the Barefaced cabs, which quite a few people are running.

I've emailed Dave Funk about my TFB550, and he said; “The amp runs down to 13Hz”.

So as I know my cabs can’t reproduce 13Hz I thought the Thumpinator would be a good fit. But I played a loud gig last night, SRV flat out on 11, and I spent a lot of time looking at my Bergantino AE210 speaker cones. They were hardly moving.

That's left me wondering what benefit the Thumpinator would be to me with these cabs.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1328649688' post='1530768']
I contacted Markbass re this but got no reply - they're usually pretty quick to respond, so maybe they just don't want to give out this information. Do you happen to know what the roll-off is for the LM series, for example? Thanks. :)
[/quote]

Sadly I can't give a good answer, measuring response that low requires a better scope than my PC soundcard! But, if you look at the pre-amp filter section in the MB manuals you will see the response starts to roll off around 30Hz. It's hard to interpret this without knowing how they made the graph (and the graphs don't quite tally with published specs in one or two details). But the roll off looks pretty gentle, maybe 6dB an octave so if that's the case there would still be substantial benefit to a proper rumble filter. Whether there's anything happening beyond the EQ section I can't say. It would be nice if bass manufacturers published proper specs like respectable PA companies! The Genz amps from what I understand have a more extreme roll-off that starts a bit higher.

[quote name='Silent Fly' timestamp='1328606974' post='1529724']
A quick note to let you know that the batch is ready. Unfortunately, there are only a few left. If you are interested in buying one, I suggest you move quickly.
[/quote]

I also ordered with international shipping like a numpty... I was pleasantly surprised by the refund.
Looking forward to receiving my Micro Thumpinator!

:)

Think it looks like an awesome bit of kit that does the job really well. Imagine it would make the amp and cabs last longer too.

I think, as someone who dabbled in some electronic gubbins that it's unfair to ask quite so many questions in a public forum, I'm pretty sure from what he said that I could sit down and work out how to build something similar.... but would it be tuned just right? would I know what the best components were? nope - the man makes a good product, if you want it buy it.

It's OK people, I'm better now!

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1328649003' post='1530755']
NB I would think based on spec the Thumpinator would be an excellent match for the Barefaced cabs, which quite a few people are running.
[/quote]

I had a quick e-mail exchange with Alex in relation to the Barefaced issue and he's a big fan of this type of unit.

Anyway "Buy Now" was clicked upon yesterday, not sure whether it was in time or not though.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1328689504' post='1531061']
Ah, the thumpinator lottery :)
[/quote]

Didn't realise so many people were playing!!

Max, maybe you could let us know who got one and who's going to be waiting? Ta.