Why become a member? ×

Dodgy for-sale pictures... do they bother you?

Mylkinut

A memory just popped into my head.

A few months ago I was browsing eBay mindlessly when I saw a MIM Precision for sale for not alot of money. Half interested, I took a look at the pictures and was instantly turned off. You see, the chap had decided to take his shots with the bass balanced on top of a brick wall so it was lying perpendicular to it, with some other photos of it plopped on his cement driveway and one of it face-down in the wet, dewy grass in his garden :mellow:

The bass was in OK-enough condition, it just made me wonder what else that bass had been through. I mean, my basses aren't pristine but I do look after them and when I buy second hand I like to think the previous owner did too.

So do you cringe when you see a for-sale picture where it just doesn't look like the owner cares too much about what they're selling? Of course, maybe it's more honest to show how a bass has been stored. Like balanced on a wall :rolleyes:

Edited by Mylkinut

What really gets me is no pictures at all, or 'pictures to follow', or 'I can't upload pics at the moment', or 'my camera needs recharging,' or 'my phone camera's crap', or 'aliens stuck my camera up the dog's bottom,' and so on and so forth.

Edited by discreet

I google the item numbers on some of my more interesting items, to see if people on forums are giving away things I should put into the listing, found one where people were complaining about there only being one pic, whilst there was a whole album of pics in the middle of the listing.

Uusually find its worth mesaging and asking for pics with an email, because uploading can be hard for some people.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327163360' post='1507288']
What really gets me is no pictures at all, or 'pictures to follow', or 'I can't upload pics at the moment', or 'my camera needs recharging,' or 'my phone camera's crap', or 'aliens stuck my camera up the dog's bottom,' and so on and so forth.
[/quote]

When I read that kind of thing, it just makes me think the sale is moody

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327164267' post='1507308']
This is OK with SS amps, isn't it? :D
[/quote]

Heh, I err on the side of "if the manual says so" myself! But yeah, was more the all-tube variety I was referring to.. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327163851' post='1507302']
I don't understand why. :)
All you need to do is stick the pics on Photobucket and link to them... or am I missing something?
[/quote]

Missing that some people can't operate complicated things like computers, information, and suchlike, but still assume they have the right to do so.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1327167338' post='1507373']
Missing that some people can't operate complicated things like computers, information, and suchlike, but still assume they have the right to do so.
[/quote]

True... I was assuming at least a basic level of knowledge from the vendor(s). :)

Edited by discreet

I was never too bothered with pictures of bass leanded against the wall, but the concrete driveway or wet grass is not too nice setting for bass.

But if I was asked about the pic with the most disturbing '[i]beautyful bass vs. malicious setting[/i]' factor, this pic takes the cake:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1327163360' post='1507288']
[/quote]
Amen. Pile of cr**p to justify the poor quality, that's what it is. But once I've found an auction like that and was sceptic, but later the pics were uploaded and my jaw dropped. I don't remember what bass it was, but I clearly remember the feeling itself :D

Edited by Immo

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1327168407' post='1507396']
Ah OK then - only when you know you have a true Standby switch :huh:
[/quote]

Really, there isn't a reason to do it anyway, so better rule is just don't. If you plug in the amp after its on, it means you are poking around the back of a live high voltage electrical thing, which is seriously silly.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1327161133' post='1507243']
I notice that the basses with the most enticing and professionally photographed images end up much better selling prices at the end of the day.
[/quote]

+1

One more thing from me: I love those auctions with poor pics of great stuff you can't go wrong with. I also love silly auction titles like 'Bass guitar".
In cases like that one could buy cheaper some great stuff that no one else would be willing to buy because of the poor pics/description.