Why become a member? ×

Jon Shuker's Build Course - Complete, with pics!

Pete1967

Folks - I've just booked the third (last) place on Jon's build course starting June 25th. Just wondered if there was anyone else (on BC) going? Gonna add a PJ to my arsenal, assuming my novice luthiery skills produce something playable!

P

Edited by Pete1967

[quote name='giblett123' timestamp='1327040582' post='1505494']
When the time comes stick a few piccies of the finished article, be interesting to see how these turn out.
[/quote]
[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1327009886' post='1505303']
Lucky man, I was only just emailing Jon this week about his next available courses... have a great time!
[/quote]

Thanks guys... I'll surely get some pics up.

Clarky72 - Jon said to me he was hoping to run three courses this year so hopefully you'll get to go one one. He really does know his s***t and I'm really looking forward to learning off him.

Of course chief. I'll put some pics up tomorrow (I know I keep promising - so, if I don't get distracted...) and you're more than welcome to have a go. The idea was to build something big and solid, very Gibson-like; yet fit the Jazz format. It's got a very cool neck as a result.

• 4 months later...

Yeah Gust0o did the 121 course I think - details in other thread, and it looks amazing. I'm a complete noob at woodwork (I'll probably cut a finger off) so I'm on the basic course to see how it goes. I may go back and do a 121 if I create anything at all playable....

After five days, blisters, blood, swearing, laughter, lots of tea, biblical rain and a very pretty young lady in the buttie ship... I made this. Thank you to Jon and Clive (my co-coursee) for an incredible week... Unforgettable.

It's testamant to Jon's skill that this is truly a professional grade instrument, built by someone that usually hacks lumps out of himself.

For the record:
Swamp ash body
Maple neck
Birdeye maple fretboard
Nordstrand NPJ4SE pickups
Gotoh hardware
The colour was something Jon had in a bottle - it works for me.

If anyone's ever thought they might like to have a bash at a build, and I mean a build from scratch, (even the scratch plate on this is 100% custom) I wholly and heartily recommend it. A great week away from the rat race.

Edited by Pete1967
  • Like 1

[quote name='Pete1967' timestamp='1341010589' post='1712953']
After five days, blisters, blood, swearing, laughter, lots of tea, biblical rain and a very pretty young lady in the buttie ship... I made this. Thank you to Jon and Clive (my co-coursee) for an incredible week... Unforgettable.

It's testamant to Jon's skill that this is truly a professional grade instrument, built by someone that usually hacks lumps out of himself.

For the record:
Swamp ash body
Maple neck
Birdeye maple fretboard
Nordstrand NPJ4SE pickups
Gotoh hardware
The colour was something Jon had in a bottle - it works for me.

If anyone's ever thought they might like to have a bash at a build, and I mean a build from scratch, (even the scratch plate on this is 100% custom) I wholly and heartily recommend it. A great week away from the rat race.

[/quote]That's gorgeous mate! I can't wait for September when my mate and I are doing our week long stint up there!!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1341057330' post='1713293']
That's gorgeous mate! I can't wait for September when my mate and I are doing our week long stint up there!!
[/quote]

Thanks Clarky... You will have a great time, I absolutely guarantee it!!

[quote name='Clarky72' timestamp='1341181502' post='1714937']
We seriously cannoty wait. My first child will be born in 3 weeks and I'm not sure which I'm more excited about... is that wrong?[/quote]

Not at all. Your child will eventually disappoint you. :lol: ;)