Why become a member? ×

Ashdown and Hartke

paulypbass

few tips.... for the ashdown.....

turn off the sub button. experiment with the preshape off.

and.... they sometimes do something funny depending how you plug speakers in.
If you have two cabs, and they have two ports wired in series, plug one into the amp, and then the second daisy chained to the first (if the cabs are wired in serise that will be okay) i had the same amp and if I plugged both cabs directly into the two outputs on the amp the volume went.

[quote name='Protium' timestamp='1326925407' post='1503986']
Switch the sub harmonics off. Waste of time.
[/quote]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327157355' post='1507162']
turn off the sub button. experiment with the preshape off.

and.... they sometimes do something funny depending how you plug speakers in.
[/quote]

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1327155086' post='1507108']
Any ABM lacking volume into two correct cabs would certainly suggest to me there's a fault.
[/quote]

Is anybody else reading this and thinking that if you have to turn off features that are commonly agreed to be a waste of time, be careful how you connect the cabs for fear of idiosyncratic 'features' and then if all else fails declare it faulty, an ABM head might be a bad idea? ;)

Edited by Ed_S

I've just sold my TC Electronic Classic 450, which wasn't for me, and bought myself an ABM 500 III and frankly it's exactly the sound I want. It's immensly loud and has earthquake like low end (I have to turn a lot of the lower frequencies down)........and that's through a 2x12! I recommend turning the bass frequencies down on the amp then bring the volume up to band level. Then bring the the low mids and bass back in again until it sounds how you want it. I'm sure you'll get a better sound that way and more volume.

And keep the sub atomic generator OFF!

It's Pino Pallidino's amp of choice and if he thinks it's good.............it probably is.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1327159915' post='1507217']
Is anybody else reading this and thinking that if you have to turn off features that are commonly agreed to be a waste of time, be careful how you connect the cabs for fear of idiosyncratic 'features' and then if all else fails declare it faulty, an ABM head might be a bad idea? ;)
[/quote]
not really, some people get hold of an EQ setting on an amp and do such daft things with it you start to tell them to turn it off/learn how to use it.
It's the same with the ashdown, the sub feature is one that in your mind you may want, like bass is good - but does everybody understand the way low frequancies use up the power of the amp? I doubt it.
The preshape, like the trace elliot stuff that ashdown shares a design family with is part of the amp' sound. It sounds great on- however in a band setting I have found it better to be off, and change the eq to suit- the idea that you make your bass sound better you start by turning something off that makes it sound worse/different isn't a logical step.
The cab thing is strange, I have no idea why it was different, but it was. Maybe trying it solves the problems?
is an ABM a good idea? well if you like the tone yes, they are great heads, and cheap second hand. If not no

The rehearsal room we use (new facility in Cumbernauld, check it out [url="http://www.amrehearsals.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.amrehearsals.co.uk/index.htm[/url]) has Ashdown stacks in all 3 rooms.

They're, mmmm, ok is all I would say.

I think I've said this previously, but I've tried to like Ashdown stuff on so many occasions. Compared to my old Trace head and Peavey 410 cab, the sound just isn't there. Enough volume, but really no clarity. Regardign EQ, I could easily be convinced that the tone controls aren't actually connected to anything.
Through any three of them, my Squier Jazz sounds pretty dull.
Through the trace, there shed loads of snappy top end.

As I said, I've tried to like Ashdown many times, to the point of having owned 3 or 4, but for me it just hasn't worked.

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1327155086' post='1507108']
Hartke are great value for money, but I've got an Ashdown ABM500 and an ABM300 and at 4ohms they're both easily loud enough with tonnes to spare. And this is in a loud rock/punk band with a very enthusiastic drummer :) . The VU rarely enters the red.

Any ABM lacking volume into two correct cabs would certainly suggest to me there's a fault.
[/quote]

wells its at least 12 years old now and iv only had it for 4 months so i dont no how it was treated in the past.

[quote name='JohnFitzgerald' timestamp='1327163318' post='1507286']
The rehearsal room we use (new facility in Cumbernauld, check it out [url="http://www.amrehearsals.co.uk/index.htm"]http://www.amrehears...co.uk/index.htm[/url]) has Ashdown stacks in all 3 rooms.

They're, mmmm, ok is all I would say.

I think I've said this previously, but I've tried to like Ashdown stuff on so many occasions. Compared to my old Trace head and Peavey 410 cab, the sound just isn't there. Enough volume, but really no clarity. Regardign EQ, I could easily be convinced that the tone controls aren't actually connected to anything.
Through any three of them, my Squier Jazz sounds pretty dull.
Through the trace, there shed loads of snappy top end.

As I said, I've tried to like Ashdown many times, to the point of having owned 3 or 4, but for me it just hasn't worked.
[/quote]

same here. this is my third Ashdown amp My first was a mag 300 then an ABM evo 2 500. i then sold it and stoped playing for a year or 2 and then got the evo 1. bit gutted about it really but i guess the ABM isnt for me. love the sound of the hartke HA5500 though.

[/quote]

Personally ive tried lots of amps and ashdown abm's have always shone through as the best sounding for me. The sub octave is just an effect and should be used as such. It works for some things but not others; I don't think there's many who would have it on all the time.

One thing I do know is that when a lot of the eq is cut, that reduces the volume significantly more than I've noticed on other makes/models. Subsequently when boosted it adds a lot more volume. Deffo worth playing about with the eq because as I said before, there should be more than enough volume in an abm head for most gigs.

Edited by danhkr

• 11 months later...
Guest gazzatriumph

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1327160719' post='1507233']
I've just sold my TC Electronic Classic 450, which wasn't for me, and bought myself an ABM 500 III and frankly it's exactly the sound I want. It's immensly loud and has earthquake like low end (I have to turn a lot of the lower frequencies down)........and that's through a 2x12! I recommend turning the bass frequencies down on the amp then bring the volume up to band level. Then bring the the low mids and bass back in again until it sounds how you want it. I'm sure you'll get a better sound that way and more volume.

And keep the sub atomic generator OFF!

It's Pino Pallidino's amp of choice and if he thinks it's good.............it probably is.
[/quote]
I just got an ABM 500 EVO3 and it sounds awesome im using MAG 410 and ABM 115, i have the sub harmonic only just on and the bass dial turned to about 10 o'clock and the sliders just below half way. I have no prob being heard with a heavy hitting drummer and two guitarist, in fact was asked to turn it down.

I play in a loud band with ABM rig and never had a problem (either using an abm 410 cab or 2x210 for gigs). For what its worth - this is what I do. Preshape off. Bump the left hand sliders a bit (they should be labeled OOMPH!) Everything else pretty much flat. Valve at 12.00. Maybe a teeny weeny bit of subharmonics (just because its there). Gain at as high as I can get without being into the red too much (usually about 11.00 or 12.00). Volume: the last 30% of the dial has all the volume you'll ever need. Crank it as much into that area as you need to. If you really can't cut through with all that, maybe the rest of the band is just being silly. If you want to keep up with a bigger rig don't forget the earplugs :lol:

Edited by BluRay

i bout hartke 350 the other week took it back a week later!! its loud!! great sound,turned it up to 2 and fried a 15 inch speaker!!! the reason i took it back was i couldnt get it down low enough,at a 1/4 it was too fuzzy turned up too load as i dont have drummers to fight against....drum machines so i drowned everything,if i join a band with a drummer...yea id get another!

[/quote]

Not really, the majority of people don't run an octave pedal all the time so why use it on an amp?

The only time I had volume issues on my ABM 500 III amp was when I pressed the EQ button in (or out I can't remember) the volume dropped to next to nothing and I thought my amp was done! I don't know how, or why it works that way or why the big drop in volume but I'd check that setting too.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Hartke LH500 and run it through one of the Transporter Series cabs and I really like it. I've had Ashdown amps before and although, there is no doubting the quality, they just weren't for me! Just found them really woolly (humour me!) and not too versatile!

But I guess you like what you like!

Guest gazzatriumph

I tried the ABM 500 evo3 through ABM 810 and a Hartke Kilo through 2 410, I much prefered the tone of the Ashdown. I bought the ABM 500 and ABM 610 and admit the volume is at 2/3 o'clock but got through 2 guitarists and a very hard hitting drummer.

change your cabs mate, leave the head alone ;) well I'm not ashdown lover at all but abm head can sound ok, but their cabs (especially budget series called mag) are rubbish! not even suitable to be used as a bed side table... if you have no money - try to find peavey tx/tvx or hartke 410XL or old trace elliot 4x10 cabs - your sound will improve straight away.

[quote name='JazzBassFan' timestamp='1358290455' post='1936673']
change your cabs mate, leave the head alone ;) well I'm not ashdown lover at all but abm head can sound ok, but their cabs (especially budget series called mag) are rubbish! not even suitable to be used as a bed side table... if you have no money - try to find peavey tx/tvx or hartke 410XL or old trace elliot 4x10 cabs - your sound will improve straight away.
[/quote]

I have to say that in my experience, when EQed well, the MAG cabs sound decent (as do the MAG heads). Nothing special ofcourse, but definitely worth their price point.

As far as other Ashdown stuff goes, the studio my last band practiced in had an ABM 500 and an ABM 810, and my god was that a beautiful sound.