Why become a member? ×

My bass got wet! - advice appreciated

Darshan

Hi

I just got back to my college digs from college Christmas holidays to find that my bedroom roof had been leaking and my bass (through it's thick padded case) got wet.. thankfully there are no cracks in the wood and it seem to be playing fine. I dried it with a towel immediately and the only things that it seems to have affected it is the fact that it still has a damp smell to it and that a small amount of the neck gloss appears to have worn away.

Is it possible that there is any damage done to the instrument that I'm not aware of, or something that won't show up until later.. and is there anything that I should do if so?

Thanks,
Nick

I think I'd be inclined to take a look under the scratchplate and make sure that there's been no ingress there, perhaps giving the pots a squirt of switch cleaner to get rid of any moisture that might be inside.

Giving the external mechanical parts (machine heads and bridge) a wipe down with a WD40 moistened cloth might not go amiss.

Apart from wiping away obvious moisture, don't be tempted to accelerate drying by sticking it next to a radiator though or you'll definately be asking for trouble.

My misses spilt a cup of tea over my active bass :(

I pulled the battery and dryed the obvious etc.

A day later thought about the scratch plate and lifted it.

Yep, still moisture there :(

Finally stripped it and left it apart for a few days before rebuilding and it plays like a dream (when some one else is playing it of course :lol: )

Good luck with yours :)

The smelling will be moisture trapped somewhere, neck pocket, under the plate, need it all apart to dry properly. I have to sort a bass played by a dude sweaty enough that it had pooled under the scratchplate, whole thing smelled like armpit, was gross, and all the shielding foil had corroded away.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1326926188' post='1504003']
The smelling will be moisture trapped somewhere, neck pocket, under the plate, need it all apart to dry properly. I have to sort a bass played by a dude sweaty enough that it had pooled under the scratchplate, whole thing smelled like armpit, was gross, and all the shielding foil had corroded away.
[/quote]

That's quite disgusting.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1326631565' post='1499661']
My misses spilt a cup of tea over my active bass :(

I pulled the battery and dryed the obvious etc.

A day later thought about the scratch plate and lifted it.

Yep, still moisture there :(

Finally stripped it and left it apart for a few days before rebuilding and it plays like a dream (when some one else is playing it of course :lol: )

Good luck with yours :)
[/quote]

This..