Why become a member? ×

Scratch in brand new Warwick Rockbass

Silvia Bluejay

I have just received my new fretless Rockbass from Thomann and found a scratch on it. The lighting in the photo makes it look worse than it is, but still...

What would you wise BC folk advise me to do? Return it? Is there any way I can try and fix the scratch by myself (furniture polish or something else)?

Thank you!

Edited by bluejay

If you can feel it with your finger nail then it will require more than just cutting and polishing out - it will need sanded out first. It also looks to be in a wee bit of a PITA area to work on.

I have a feeling T/mann just work a collect and replace pollicy but contact them and ask what your options are. If they offer a decent partial refund and you want to keep ithe bass take it .. as it is fixable... unless you like "mojo" and want to leave it. :D

As the scratch is smaller than it looks in the photo, I think I can live with it, but I'm worried that the very presence of a scratch may mean that the bass has been handled roughly.
While I wait for Thomann to get back to me, i will go through every possible check on the bass, and make sure it isn't damaged in any other way. Then I'll decide, depending on what options they offer me.

Thanks, Dean.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326377127' post='1496283']
As the scratch is smaller than it looks in the photo, I think I can live with it, but I'm worried that the very presence of a scratch may mean that the bass has been handled roughly.
While I wait for Thomann to get back to me, i will go through every possible check on the bass, and make sure it isn't damaged in any other way. Then I'll decide, depending on what options they offer me.

Thanks, Dean.
[/quote]

it doesn't look like rough handling, more like something rubbing on the area every time the box was moved in transit. my guess anyway, was it one of the super cheap lefty ones?

Yup, it was, and I like it in every other way. As mentioned in that thread, it's very basic and the pots aren't exceedingly powerful, but it's fine for me just playing at home.

Thomann are taking their time replying. If I can get a discount voucher or sumfin' out of them I'll probably go with that. But I do want some sort of compensation, even if it's a cheap guitar - after all, the money I gave them had no 'defects' ;)

tch tch. cheap bass or not, it's brand new. If it's packaging that's done it, then it wasn't properly packaged.

I too would accept a gift voucher and live with the cosmetic scar, which will be repairable to a certain extent,
Oh, the thought of re-packaging, sending it off, waiting a few weeks.......grrrrr

Oh, don't forget to take the roundwounds off. So much damage to the fingerboard is possible with them.

Edited by leftyhook

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326386404' post='1496549']
Oh, don't forget to take the roundwounds off. So much damage to the fingerboard is possible with them.
[/quote]

!!!! Good job Jaco Pastorius didn't swap his rounds for something less abrasive. Where would modern Jazz bass playing be????

I agree on the gift voucher angle though - I wouldn't think one graze means the entire bass has been abused. Just push for decent compensation - even German companies will try to fob you off.

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1326386932' post='1496579']
!!!! Good job Jaco Pastorius didn't swap his rounds for something less abrasive. Where would modern Jazz bass playing be????

I agree on the gift voucher angle though - I wouldn't think one graze means the entire bass has been abused. Just push for decent compensation - even German companies will try to fob you off.
[/quote]

Yeah, but don't forget Jaco coated his fingerboard with an epoxy resin. I ripped up the ebony fingerbaord on my Wal with rounds and subsequently needed a layer taken off on 3 occasions, until there wasn't enough to take any more off. :(
if yu are a light player, it will buy you some time.

I have Daddario Chromes on my fretless. smooth and bright.

Look at it this way - it's already got its first ding and it wasn't your fault, so you don't have to worry about it! :D

[size=4][quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326389425' post='1496634'][/size][size=4]PS I am a light player.
[/quote]

I'm not! :lol:[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326389194' post='1496628']
Yeah, but don't forget Jaco coated his fingerboard with an epoxy resin. I ripped up the ebony fingerbaord on my Wal with rounds and subsequently needed a layer taken off on 3 occasions, until there wasn't enough to take any more off. :(
if yu are a light player, it will buy you some time.

I have Daddario Chromes on my fretless. smooth and bright.
[/quote]
Yeah, epoxy helps but - asides from changing the sound/feel for many players - IMO it's important to arrive at the sound and feel you want regardless of whether it wears out the fingerboard faster or not. In other words I'd rather wear my board out than have it sit there unplayed because I don't like the sound. I earn my living (in part) by epoxying fingerboards but I don't believe it's for everybody, just like using flats on a fretless.
I could understand with the values attached to Wal basses, you'd be worried about wearing ruts in your very expensive fingerboard but I'd think a Rockbass would be the perfect instrument to experiment on, especially as bluejay will hopefully be getting some kind of discount :D

[quote name='henry norton' timestamp='1326401104' post='1496860']
Yeah, epoxy helps but - asides from changing the sound/feel for many players - IMO it's important to arrive at the sound and feel you want regardless of whether it wears out the fingerboard faster or not. In other words I'd rather wear my board out than have it sit there unplayed because I don't like the sound. I earn my living (in part) by epoxying fingerboards but I don't believe it's for everybody, just like using flats on a fretless.
I could understand with the values attached to Wal basses, you'd be worried about wearing ruts in your very expensive fingerboard but I'd think a Rockbass would be the perfect instrument to experiment on, especially as bluejay will hopefully be getting some kind of discount :D
[/quote]

fair comment!
However I never want o have to avoid certain positions on my fingerboard live again to avoid a nasty buzz coming through the P.A. "Once bitten..."

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1326401388' post='1496864']
fair comment!
However I never want o have to avoid certain positions on my fingerboard live again to avoid a nasty buzz coming through the P.A. "Once bitten..."
[/quote]
Ha! That's how I got into coated boards in the first place, although if I had a Wal I'd probably be too scared to use it....

Thomann replied to my email this morning, requesting a photo of the scratch and also of the packaging. I only emailed them the photo I posted at the start of this thread, and confirmed to them that the packaging was fine inside and out - surely no point taking a pic of open boxes and ready-to-be-discarded plastic sleeves...?

I'm waiting for further developments.