Why become a member? ×

Even in the darkest moments...

niceguyhomer

I’ve been feeling really gloomy lately about the band and the future of live music in general :huh: . You know the stuff - dwindling audiences and fewer gigs etc., which I as an industrial grade pessimist can’t help thinking will get even worse if the government lowers the drink driving limit as proposed.

Then there’s the drummer, who joined the band knowing we like to go out at least once a week but has taken it upon herself – while the rest of us are out looking for gigs, to fill most of the remaining blank weekends in our 2008 gig diary with trips away on the piss with her mates. ;)

We’ve lost three gigs in the last month – good ones too (one an all-female party ;) :huh: ;) :D ) because of her being away and we’ve had to find a stand in drummer for a gig next week and I’m thinking to myself - I can’t be doing with all this.

Last night however, was a revelation and lifted my spirits so high, I nearly soiled myself :) . Our singer’s Dad is 60 in May and he’s having a bit of a do to celebrate at our local pub. He’s Elvis mad and was hoping to have a certain Elvis impersonator (who did his 50th), do the gig but sadly, the guy ate too many hamburgers and died.

So, we thought we’d do it ourselves and just turn up unannounced on the night changing the band name to Nice Guy Elvis – a brilliant idea. We’re gonna dress up reflecting various phases of Elvis’ past – the singer’s doing the GI era and I’m doing the fat, bloated not long to go period ;) .

Last night we had our first rehearsal (sans drummer of course – she was away) and we had a fantastic time just with guitar, bass and vocals. We really got an authentic sound – me on my P with flats and the guitarist with a battered old Tele into an old reverby combo and the singer who does a brilliant Elvis voice. Drums & percussion were provided by tapping on tables, slapping strings and stamping feet.

We boxed off eight songs from scratch and had the time of our lives – so much so, we’re thinking of doing it as a sideline to the soul band thang ;) .

Just goes to show that when your in a lousy situation and all you want to do is hang up yer boots, there’s always a chance that something good will happen to revitalise your interest and put thoughts of retirement on hold.

I wouldn't care if it was bloody Lena Zavaroni Alan you enjoyed yourself and that's what it's about :huh: You don't know how envious I am that you are in a regular gigging band where you hone your skills and perform regularly.

I went to Jam night last night and ended up stopping the 1st song in front of a packed Dickie Doodles because the guitarist was playing Red House in a different key (he didn't know what key!) and I missed the bleedin' intro.

Then we discovered that I knew none of the songs he knew and reverted to a 12 bar bloody mixolydiam jam!

Oh for a chance to hone some numbers without a packed house in front of you and with some actual communication :)

Look forward to your Elvis tour, tongue in cheek but actually some great songs.

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='168269' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:31 AM']I wouldn't care if it was bloody Lena Zavaroni Alan you enjoyed yourself and that's what it's about :) You don't know how envious I am that you are in a regular gigging band where you hone your skills and perform regularly.

I went to Jam night last night and ended up stopping the 1st song in front of a packed Dickie Doodles because the guitarist was playing Red House in a different key (he didn't know what key!) and I missed the bleedin' intro.

Then we discovered that I knew none of the songs he knew and reverted to a 12 bar bloody mixolydiam jam![/quote]

Ohhh... I hate that... I much prefer it if they know what the pattern is supposed to be for a blues and what key they intend it to be in... also helps if they tell me if it's supposed to be a quick IV and what the last four bars are supposed to do key wise...

If they call it out properly, then I can do it...

OK, it's an uptown up, in A with a quick IV and we take it from the V...

There's absolutely [i]nothing[/i] wrong with Elvis Presley, what's wrong with him? I saw the original Vegas band when they toured a couple of years back, with Jerry Sheff playing bass, and the fantastic James Burton on guitar. Great night, great songs.

Sounds like a hoot Al, I remember you telling me about it a couple of weeks ago. It'll be a hoot at the gig itself I'm sure.

Pity about the drumming situation, any chance Mick will come back?

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='168444' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:26 PM']Have you got an Elvis towel? Or one of those Elvis plates that get sold on the back of tv papers? Fantastic (not)![/quote]

If I did I would be a proud. Any man who can be proclaimed as the King of Rock & Roll, live on meatloaf and hamburgers, and have 18 TVs in his house is OK in my book.

[quote name='Rayman' post='168412' date='Apr 2 2008, 01:04 PM']There's absolutely [i]nothing[/i] wrong with Elvis Presley, what's wrong with him?[/quote]

Well, he is a bit rotten! I suppose bassists will appreciate that these days he can really kick out a funk.

And it's war!

Come on kids. Jazz is for some people. Elvis is for others. Subjective, innit! Some people like Elvis and Jazz. Some people like neither. Some people would like both if they made the effort. Some people never will.

Hi-fives all round!

Edited by Cantdosleepy