Why become a member? ×

Gibson SG

CaioBM

Hey, I was thinking about buying a Fender 50's P Bass, but it's a bit heavy, and
I started searching about lightweight (and good-looking) bass guitars.

Then I found the Gibson SG standard, and I fell in love with it.
What do I do? So, the Fender or the Gibson?

Oh, and don't recommend original Gibson EB 3s and EB 0s, they're just
too expensive.

IME Fenders vary a lot in weight. If you've been put off by the weight of one, try and find a shop with a large stock of Precisions and keep trying them until you find one that feels comfortable.

I don't know if you've tried the SG yet, but if you can, try one with a strap standing up. I've heard they're a bit neck heavy, which over an evening can be more tiring on your shoulder than a heavy bass that balances well.

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1326203362' post='1493711']
The SG's are surprisingly light, far lighter than Epiphone EB0's. But as said above, there are some massive differences between your two options, so just have a play of a few, see what feels right.
[/quote]

What are these massive differences?

SG basses are great I've had a few, but keep going back to my original EB3's and EB2' s I play in a "Heritage" rock band.

Check out www.theproperboys.co.uk or YouTube us

Never found neck dive at all, and they are much more versatile than the old ones and I would recommend them to anyone.

The faded finish is good value and you can pick them up for a reasonable price.......oh and put flats on them if you really want the retro sound.

You either love Gibsons or hate them in my opinion, and I'm in the former category

John

While they may have spent time with different basses James Jamerson and Carol Kaye are both most associated with Precision basses. You may find a particular string type (ie flatwound) will give a more retro sound.
I most associate Macca with the Hofner violin bass , couldn't really advise on how to get that sound.
The main issue for me is the scale length, I don't like short scale basses, I'd guess that I'm in the majority, that's not to say that it isn't for you.
My gut instinct is that the Precision is the more versatile bass, shop around , there are many variations, you may find a lightweigh precision.... or try an SG and fall in love ... or ....

I have recently bought a 60`s Jazz bass and it is one of the lightest basses I have ever had and that is made in the same factory as the 50`s P. But as said earlier, the weight varies so much you just need to try a few. If you fell in love with the SG bass then get it. If you fall out of love with it, you can always swap it for something else on here.

Only can decide which bass is the right one for you. Good luck and give us a shout back!

Jez

[quote name='CaioBM' timestamp='1326215306' post='1493950']

What are these massive differences?
[/quote]

As Dom in Somerset pointed out, the first and biggest difference is gonna be your neck scale length, one is short, one is long. Depends which you like best.

I have an SG at home and feel that it's short scale neck is really quick and easy to get around. By comparison my main gigging and recording bass is a 5 string jazz so they both feel totally different!

Pickups again are a significant difference between the 2 basses you are looking at, so it really comes down to what you like.

Can't get any better advice than to try as many as you can, see what YOU like. Taking time to try them out will pay off for you in the end.

Your playing style might be relevant. If you play lot's of busy runs and fills, you'll love the shorter scale of the SG bass. If you prefer to keep things simple, with the odd slap and pop chucked in, you might prefer the Fender. Not that you can't play fast on a precision, it just hurts your fingers a bit more when you do.

A middle ground might be a Fender Mustang or Musicmaster?

I'd chose the SG bass (I already did - I have a nice [url="http://www.flyguitars.com/gibson/bass/2006gibsonSGreissue.php"]blue SG reissue bass[/url] - doesn't have the neck markers or inlaid logo, but otherwise the same)