Why become a member? ×

New GK 210MBE cabs from Thomann

bottomfeed

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I'd been thinking about a lightweight 10" stack for a while.. at present I use either a GK1001RB or Genz Benz neo-pak, through 2 Aguilar GS112's.. [/color][/font]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]I like the sound I get from both but with a lot of the gigs I do, the most important thing to me is being able to hear what's going on in what tends to be, acoustically sh*te environments! ....A[/color][/font][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]fter a recent gig where my rig was on the drum riser but I was on the floor, I started thinking that I wanted speakers nearer my ears!... [/font][/color]

[i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]There's the justification for blowing my NYE gig dosh on new cabs! [/font][/color][/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :rolleyes:[/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :)...[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]They arrived today (9th), after being ordered on 4th Jan... [i]pretty impressed so far![/i][/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I don't normally like buying blind but with Thomann's 30 day policy, I thought I'd take the risk....[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]My point is this... They sound great but I need to gig them on the weekend to be sure.... [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BUT.......[/font][/color][list]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One of the cabs is a little scuffed (not really a problem) [/font][/color]
[*][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]When they are stacked, they rock a little, not a tight fit ( I guess I can live with that) [/font][/color]
[*][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]One of the horns doesn't seem to turn off!! the switch seems a little dodgy.... (!?!) [/color][/font][i]although after more fiddling with it, it now seems to be off.... [/i][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] (I don't tend to use horns at all)[/color][/font]
[/list]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Can't decide if it's all troublesome enough to bother to send back... I know they are [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]relatively[/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] cheap cabs at about £250 each & there's no guarantee that replacements wouldn't also have little foibles, after coming through the post at me... Nothing is 'wrong' enough... but it's the principle of £500 worth of goods, not being perfect.... or am I just being finicky? [/color][/font]

Edited by bottomfeed

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1326142164' post='1492947']
how light are the cabs? and what kind of sound do they have? I've been looking at the 212 version, but I can't get anywhere to try one.
[/quote]

The GK cabs are 30lbs... compared to those Aggies, which are 42lbs!...
really light & a surprisingly fat tone for cabs that are not as deep as the Aggies.... I think I am going to like them, soundwise... Probably not as well built though... You can get [i]some[/i] idea of the sound, comparatively by using the sound clips on the Thomann site....
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/gallien_krueger_210mbe_8_ohm.htm"]http://www.thomann.d...10mbe_8_ohm.htm[/url]

I really wanted to try them out .... & Manson's in Exeter had them in stock (on their website!)... in real life not... It's not easy to find places to try stuff out & compare sounds these days it seems!

Edited by bottomfeed

that's cool :) I am looking for a lightweight 212, and the gk seems very good value. At the moment my main options are the GK MBE, the GK neos, a barefaced super twelve (which is much more expensive, lol), or looking out for a secondhand ebs or bergantino neo.

I will look forward to your full review. :)

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1326143403' post='1492972']
that's cool :) I am looking for a lightweight 212, and the gk seems very good value. At the moment my main options are the GK MBE, the GK neos, a barefaced super twelve (which is much more expensive, lol), or looking out for a secondhand ebs or bergantino neo.

I will look forward to your full review. :)
[/quote]

I used to have a couple of Berg AE112's... & despite the quality build & expense!... I didn't really get on with them.. the Aggies did a better job for me, at a much cheaper cost... (it's all very subjective though!)

I spent a little while going through the sound clips on Thomann... comparing sounds of cabs I had some experience with, against others I haven't.... It helped me choose the GK's over others..... although the real test will be at a gig....

I`m really glad you put this post up. I`ve been considering the 410 version of this cab, but Thomann don`t have the sound sample for it, and the 212 is a little too bassy/lacking top end for what I`m after. Whereas the 210 sounds exactly like the GK sound I want.

Roll on some dosh, I think I know where it will be going!

Re the problems with the cabs - unless you bought B Stock, get Thomann to sort. You`ve paid for brand new, fully functioning, that`s what you should get.

I've decided to gig the cabs on the weekend, see what I think of them.... Then I'll send the one back that has the scuff & [i]now working,[/i] intermittent horn switch!

I messaged Thomann & they got back to me very fast.. Saying they could arrange pick up if I require it...

A/B -ing the GK's against the Aggies at home... I prefer the tone of the Aggies, to be honest... Although the GK's are pretty punchy with a fair bit of bottom end... & hopefully they will solve some live issues for me... we shall see....

[quote name='Coldflows' timestamp='1326239603' post='1494483']
Will they let you send back one if it's not broken and also been gigged?

Actually they look pretty epic to be honest, I don't know much about them but them but being 'wobbly' and light cause problems when they are turned up loud?

£500 sounds like a worthy investment!
[/quote]

The fault with the horn switch is intermittent.... which I've told them about... The only way I'm going to find out if they are going to work for me, is to try them out loud at a gig... Whether the wobble causes a problem or the horn switch situation becomes more obviously an issue at volume...etc..
I can't have them at volume in my flat, unless I want an angry mob waving torches & pitchforks outside my front door!

It's a bit of a risk taking them out to a gig... I will have to look after them with kid gloves... I reckon that, because I've already reported the fault (& as long as I don't destroy them in transit!) it'll be fine sending one back to be replaced at Thomann's cost... If I find I don't actually like the cabs, I believe I will have to foot the return carriage bill myself, under the Thomann 30 day return deal... [i] (I think!) [/i]

I hope they just wow me with their awesomeness :huh: :)

Ive sent a few things back to Thomann's because i didnt like them, They always foot the bill.
I once had two Lakland Duck Dunns at home from Thomann's (long story) and they told me gig each one and just send back the one i didnt like.
As long as you dont damage it it should be fine.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1326281501' post='1494796']
Makes you wonder what they do with the bits that have been sent back?!
[/quote]
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/blowouts.html"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/blowouts.html[/url]
"In this section you'll find bargains, blow outs, remaining stock and [b]returned items[/b] from our current range of products."

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1326293448' post='1495031']
Just stumbled upon this after searching for the 212MBE, seems like a whole lotta cab for the money. You think a single 212 with some sub re-enforcement from our PA would be enough for small/medium pub gigs?
[/quote]
... Well they certainly seem to be pretty loud & punchy cabs!.... & the 10's are not short of bottom end...
My criticism would be that they seem a bit cheaply put together... But at that price, that's what would be expected.

Just spoke to the UK distributor for GK, they seem to think the 4ohm versions of the MBE cabs will be in very short supply. If you want one, you pretty much have to special order one in from the US - 6 week lead time. Most seem to be buying the 8ohm versions of the whole range.

The GK MBE cabs are very good for the money I've heard (I've only used an MB210 combo, never used the seperate cabs), they are very little money though. But I'm surprised you've had problems with the build quality, the odd duffer will get through anywhere but to be wonky and have a problem with the wiring is strange, usually they're solidly built. £500 for two 2x10s is a rediculous price for cabs that are so good. There's not a lot that can compete IMO.

Quite a few of GK's line can be hard to come by in the UK. When I ordered my big rig one of the cabs had to be ordered in from the US for me and that's as an endorsee directly in contact with Polar Audio. Sadly there's not a huge demand for them as they're expensive and not very well known compared to say Markbass or Ashdown.

My second rig uses two Neo212s and I can honestly say that they're brilliant cabs. They weigh very little and I've never had a problem with volume with both of them. At festivals and big venues I'd be hesitant to use just one but I have done before and it took it in it's stride. GKs are mighty beasts when it comes to volume, I've used an RB700 and one 210RBH in a large church hall before without PA support and it coped. :) My 2001RB and 2x210RBH rig is a beast and I can't ever imagine playing a gig that it won't cope with.

Update: Did a wedding with them last night.... I was suitably impressed!...
It wasn't a great room acoustically, which was a good place to trial them... Very pleased with the sound.. punchy, plenty bottom end, Stack much closer to my ears, so if things got a bit dense I could lean back & hear myself well. Good spread of bass sound around the stage too... Me likey!

What to do next?...

The horn seems to have cured itself of the intermittent problem... I keep them both off anyway... so as long as I don't touch the switch, I don't envisage it bothering me.
But if I chose to use the horn in the future, will there be a problem?

On advice of my drummer, I've just tried swapping the plastic corners over on the one cab... & the wobble is virtually gone, if I stack them one way... if I swap them, the wobble is back though... but it looks like it's the plastic feet that are causing it, not a badly put together box... Maybe I can swap more corners & cure it completely?

I don't think the small scuff mark is enough justification to send back... more will inevitably appear over time anyway...

Two 2x10 GK cabs for £500, that tick most of the boxes for me is indeed a bargain!

I've ordered some covers from Roqsolid, these are gunna be keepers...

Good to hear they worked out.
The only thing I can suggest is to open the cab up and see if there is a loose connection. Personally I would want it fixed, either do it myself or get it replaced. This would be mainly to help the resale value further down the line but also it would bug the hell out of me, whether I wanted to use the horn or not.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326629396' post='1499624']
The only thing I can suggest is to open the cab up and see if there is a loose connection. Personally I would want it fixed, either do it myself or get it replaced. This would be mainly to help the resale value further down the line but also it would bug the hell out of me, whether I wanted to use the horn or not.
[/quote]

Yeah, you've got a point.... Maybe I should just send the one cab back anyway... You know what it's like when you get a [i]feeling[/i] that something is a bit of a duffer... Never seem to be able to have full confidence in it....

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1326629396' post='1499624']
[/quote]

This.

It is brand new so send it back if not upto scratch.
I buy/keep all my stuff with a resale in mind. You have paid full price with a fault... you can't pass that on to someone else as they will knock you for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd update this....

Thomann took the cab back & sent a replacement ... It arrived very swiftly & there are no problems with it at all...

This is the 1st time I have bought anything major from them & I'm thoroughly impressed with their service. swift, efficient, polite, good communications.. Can't fault them.

The 2 cabs together are sounding great, although, while I waited for the replacement to arrive, I had to do 2 gigs with 1 GK & 1 aggie... which wasn't a bad combination at all!

I'm liking using the Genz Benz head though the GK's as well as the 1001RB... Reckon there is a lot of mileage in different tones to be had by the various combinations of the two rigs.... Result!

Edited by bottomfeed