Why become a member? ×

how to achieve correct nut height

bassmachine2112

Hi,
I hear all the time about bass set up,things like relief,saddle height,intonation and the like but never how to set up your nut.
What is the correct proceedure.
how do you measure it and what should it be.
I feel it is overlooked.
I had a bass which I could hardly fret the F on the E string due to not having hands like vice but luckily it was a brass nut and come off easily when the strings were off.Instead of cutting the slots I dressed the bottom of the nut with a whetstone and by taking a bit off at a time I got a nice playing bass which which no amount of truss rod tweaking could achieve or saddle twiddling.
I have hunted high and low for tutorials on this and have found nothing.
Is it a black art ?

Is it a black art? Not really, it just involves a bit of effort so most people just ignore it. If you have a Warwick, it's not a black art at all. If you have something which insists on archaic design, then it involves a bit of sanding/filing which most people just don't want to do.

Personally, I like my nut action to be low like a zero fret, that's what I aim for.

Edited by Doctor J

I have Warwicks, and the nut height is adjustable through a screw at each end of the nut.

It's not a black art, but I suppose it's down to personal preference, and should be adjusted together with the string height you set at the bridge. These two settings together will influence string action even before you touch the truss rod.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1326022695' post='1491056']
Is it a black art? Not really, it just involves a bit of effort so most people just ignore it. If you have a Warwick, it's not a black art at all. If you have something which insists on archaic design, then it involves a bit of sanding/filing which most people just don't want to do.

Personally, I like my nut action to be low like a zero fret, that's what I aim for.
[/quote]

Because most nuts on your "everyday" bass arn't adjustable, so once its set in, it's set in. As long as there is suffiecient height so the strig doesn't rattle against the 1st fret, which can be done with great break angles between the nut and string post.

I have a warwick and so raise so I can fit the 0.20 guage under the G-string on the 1st fret.

I was always taught that when you stop down (any) string just behind the 3rd fret, it should just be clear of the 2nd fret & no more - the depth of a cigarette paper being the optimum - not a business card! I have a set of nut files & use them where needed, but be careful as it's dead easy to blow a nut by cutting it too low.

G.

[quote name='TonyBones' timestamp='1326040368' post='1491417']
[url="http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Nuts,_saddles/a-nuts.html"]http://www.stewmac.c...les/a-nuts.html[/url]

There ya go! + .002 for Bass
[/quote]

Different manufacturers and sources will quote different sizes. It's, like everything, whats best for you.

A correctly cut nut, and a decent break angle can really help with setting everything else up.

+1 TBH there's quite a bit out there on the net guide wise, I found that it's best to see what feels good for you and expect to spend a fair bit of time doing your homework, if you must make/cut your own nut then file your slots gradually it's a lot easier to take away than it is to add.

Here's one i made for my P Bass in Brass

[attachment=96789:320813_10150363372232869_559527868_8460719_1436838772_n.jpg]

Thanks for the replies.
This was what I was highlighting.Usually it,s the neck relief,saddles ,intonation and bridges that are in the main in the spotlight for setting up a bass or guitar and the nut is overlooked or not even mentioned.
I feek that a lot of basses could be set up better and easier with proper nut set ups.
Maybe somebody could do a definitive nut set up as a sticky.
My way of doing a nut is to put a capo on the third position and look for light under the string at the first fret then tap down on the string and listen for the click and adjust till it almost dissapears.
I hope this will help people set up there basses .If I,m doing it wrong then I,d love to know how to do it the right way.

[quote name='bassmachine2112' timestamp='1326128301' post='1492660']

My way of doing a nut is to put a capo on the third position and look for light under the string at the first fret then tap down on the string and listen for the click and adjust till it almost dissapears..
[/quote]

This... no click - raise the nut. Any discernable play before the click - cut the slot or dress the bottom of the nut.

And the slots can be lowered very easily with rolled up sand paper. Allows for very small reductions and rolling it up to match the slot width keeps the shape good.
I pretty much always lower the strings at nut as find most guitars and basses to be much higher than optimum. I have always wondered why anyone would actually want a high nut as a perfect nut clearly brings down string height and especially makes fretting at the first couple of frets a much better experience.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1326211167' post='1493856']
I pretty much always lower the strings at nut as find most guitars and basses to be much higher than optimum. I have always wondered why anyone would actually want a high nut as a perfect nut clearly brings down string height and especially makes fretting at the first couple of frets a much better experience.
[/quote]

Exactly. I'm surprised how many basses don't have the hex socket screw system adopted by Warwick in the nut as well.

i [quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1326212619' post='1493886']
Exactly. I'm surprised how many basses don't have the hex socket screw system adopted by Warwick in the nut as well.
[/quote]to be honest BlueJay there are enough variables to set up on a bass that leave it up to the player or tech, to adjust... if the nut is not correctly cut for the strings, and therefore, the neck, its a luthier/bass fault.. unless of course, your a player who really understands bass luthiery, and has the time and patients to adjust it to your liking

nut height, may be a black art, but its an art that you shouldnt have to bother yourself with.. imo

Edited by bubinga5

Well, I'm not a luthier but I did fiddle with the nut height on my 5 - as well as fiddling with anything else I could adjust on it! - and succeded in making the bass feel slighlty easier to play for my tiny little hands.
(Before you ask, intonation and the general sound are still fine despite the slight change in setup - I'm cautious enough not to make a mess when I touch my instruments).