Why become a member? ×

Marshall MB4210 :D

Stephen Anglin

Hey guys! :D

I've just gone and ordered a Marshall MB4210 amp and was wondering what your opinions on it were?

I'm currently in a 4 piece indie rock band and have had some issues on my last two gigs with my amp not making any impact at all, becoming completely unheard (It's a 75w Fender Rumble - don't laugh) I've got anyway with it for 6 months with the help of mic-ups but previous venues haven't had this ability and I need something to match my drummers frantic style.
Being on a budget is my downside. No head/cab for me :( I couldn't go over 350 quid and this came in right on the money thanks to January sales with 300w of power and 2x10 speakers. I was going to go for an Ashdown MAG and borrow some extra money to afford it but both of my guitarists swear by Marshall's and I've gone for the plunge and ordered.

I've researched and found mixed reviews online with people saying the MB4210 is an amazing amp and has a high quality sound for the price and also some saying that the build quality isn't great and that people have had alot of faults with them. (soldering issues, buzz from amps). I know I should go into a music shop and listen for myself but sadly my local shop only has Ampeg, Vox and Orange. All completely out of my price range.

I guess what I'm asking from you guys is your opinion and advice. Am I just overthinking it? Or have I just done something bad :o

All replies greatly appreciated!

First off, in my opinion, no you haven`t done anything bad, quite the opposite. The build quality issues were on the first batch, that Marshall found out hadn`t been assembled "too well". They had to redo a lot of the insides, hence the batch that got out before Marshall were made aware. I had the Marshall MB4210. It was very versatile, down to 3 different mid-selections, and 2 different channels - Modern, with compression, and Classic, with gain, and boost. These could both be blended together, so many different sounds available. Though I only ever used one sound from it. I used to use it in a very loud heavy rock band. At practices,in a small venue which held 120 people, I just used to use it on its own, and it was fine. In general, I`d be running the volume on about 5. At gigs, I`d bring along the 115 extension cab. This added some oomph to the sound, plus, made it look like a Marshall stack, which was obviously very important in a heavy rock band. In terms of volume, the combo on it`s own was loud enough for me, but the addition of the 115, especially in bigger venues, just added that extra "body" to the sound. For a covers band, the combo on its own should be fine, for heavy rock/metal (especially with 2 Marshall half-stacks), the extra cab is worth having. I liked it so much, I bought the head and 410 as well. Did loads of gigs with that, no problems at all.

Edited by Lozz196

I was looking at them when the 1st batch came out, but the QC issues them was pretty bad.
Marshall are known for making guitar rigs, but not so much for bass (not that they've not tried, just that the bassist has a lot of good options).
From the reports on here over the past few years from the chaps above & a few others on here, they have a good sound for the money but you'll need a flatbed with a hiab for transporting the thing! :swoon:

I have got the MB4410 (4x10) and its a great amp for the money. With an extension cab its louder than you will ever need for pub gigs etc. I tried it with a 1x15 extension cab and it nearly blew my trousers off!! You don't need to worry about volume. Play with the 2 channels and the 'Blend' option, its great.

It is bloody heavy though (obviously the 2x10 will be lighter)

Jas

I had the Marshall MBC410, the 4x10 extension cabinet of the range. I was concerned about the QC issues when I bought it, but at that point in time it was the loudest cab I could afford. I opened mine up to check connections, etc and everything was in place. I used heavily for a year and sold it still as new. Good stuff if you don't mind the weight.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The only thing I don't like about it is the size and weight of it, especially with the MBC115 cabinet.I've put my bass next to it for scale, so you can see what it all looks like because I find that the pictures on music sites don't always give you a good idea of how big some amps are.[/font]

[attachment=96522:IMG_0194.jpg]

You'll love this "Little" combo Stephen - don't know why everyone moans about the weight!
I used to cart around a Trace Elliot AH 250 head and an Ampeg 8x10 a few years ago - when I was a little younger and much fitter. Moved over to this Marshall MB 4210 about 3 years ago to save 'The Back'.
Not got the bollocks of the TE etc; but very versatile and loud and loads of different sound combinations. You will have to play around to find your own sound, and this can't be done in a couple of minutes. Take your time and it will come.
I do think it needs the help of a 15" underneath when played out. Not only for volume but for that little more bottom end which I think it lacks.. Another good thing about the combo is that you only have to take the single unit to practice - no carting about huge amps and cabs. I can throw this beauty about no trouble (put wheels on the bottom - that helps; and a small sack truck)
Come back after a while, and tell us all how you got on.
ENJOY!

I always thought they sounded bloody great for the money, and I'm glad to hear the QC issues seem to have been resolved.

It's a shame Marshall never took bass amps all that seriously, although the DBS stuff was great (even if it weighed a ton). Marshall recently bought out Eden, so maybe they'll take advantage of that - I'd love to see the Eden E-series (the new name for the Nemesis range) become the next Marshall bass range. :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1326386107' post='1496537']
got to agree with most of the post's on here, I've had a 4210 for about 2 years did have a fault when new but it's been no trouble at all since, would advise getting a 1 x 15 ext cab when you can afford it, it does make quiet a big difference
[/quote]

I played through one with the 4x10" extension cab - it was seriously loud, very punchy and loads of bottom end. To my ears, it sounded as good as anything short of a big boutique rig. If they'd only go the lightweight route with their construction and choices of speakers (maybe with the choice of 2x12" configurations), they'd become a big contender in the bass space, since that's where the interest seems to be right now.

I would shy away from a 15" cab and go for a 2x10 or a 4x10.
you don,t lose any bottom end.A lot of people have gone the 15" bottom and ended up smoking them due to the handling capacity imbalance but a lot of people have had no problems,just a thought.
I would go for a 2x10 4 ohm cab for portability,flexibility and it,s easier to move a 2x10 around than a 4x10.
They are monster amps when you unleash the full 450 watt.