Why become a member? ×

New Genz Shuttle amps/cabs

Musicman20

I've been sat on the fence whether to pick up one of the current Genz bargains, but I think Im firmly waiting for these to hit the UK:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/genz-namm-products-we-must-close-announcement-835049/index6.html"]http://www.talkbass....049/index6.html[/url]

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/shuttle-6-2-12t-combo-840979/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5pITQwhGlc

New Shuttle 6.2, new Shuttlemax 12.2, and new Shuttle 9.2. Similar amps, but with the 3DPM from the Streamliner and some other tweaks. Apparently they revoiced the signal shape filters as well.

The interesting thing is the new Shuttle 6.2 combos. The cabs look very modern and have been redesigned yet are still light.

I'm still tempted to pick up a 9.0 or 6.0 12T combo and not worry about the upgrades, but we shall see!

I presume Bass Direct will have pre-order prices very soon.

Edited by Musicman20

Ed's got one as well.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SP-OazNzPdY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SP-OazNzPdY[/url]

They sound interesting, i like the tone in these clips more than the Streamliner clips. Hmmm, maybe.......just maybe...

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1325848085' post='1488584']
Ed's got one as well.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SP-OazNzPdY"]http://www.youtube.c...e&v=SP-OazNzPdY[/url]

They sound interesting, i like the tone in these clips more than the Streamliner clips. Hmmm, maybe.......just maybe...
[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHA I knew I would find you in this thread :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1325849783' post='1488629']
:-), you can blame Gareth for that. I really only hear about new amp gear when i speak to him, i should put him on my ignore list lol.
[/quote]

I think we could extend this and blame Gareth for a lot of things. Lets make him the offical BC scapegoat. I'm sure he won't mind :)

Shut up Gareth, you're not helping lol.

Knowing my gigs I don't feel I need spend out for the higher wattage heads, I don't ever have to turn my F1up past 11 o'clock, although I know that's not a true indication of watts.

As you know I did like the Streamliner but I felt it missed something, just going by the very limited videos I feel the new Shuttle could well be the best of both.

No real GAS but quite interested none the less.

Here we go again.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1325946687' post='1490203']
Shut up Gareth, you're not helping lol.

Knowing my gigs I don't feel I need spend out for the higher wattage heads, I don't ever have to turn my F1up past 11 o'clock, although I know that's not a true indication of watts.

As you know I did like the Streamliner but I felt it missed something, just going by the very limited videos I feel the new Shuttle could well be the best of both.

No real GAS but quite interested none the less.

Here we go again.
[/quote]

Agree, I have the shuttle 6 and decided to get the streamliner because I couldn't get rid of the Gas on it. Liked it but my shuttle just has something I liked a little more so sold the streamliner within a week. Haven't listened to kens demos yet, just Ed's. Will tune in tonight.

[quote name='tonyclaret' timestamp='1325955787' post='1490379']

Agree, I have the shuttle 6 and decided to get the streamliner because I couldn't get rid of the Gas on it. Liked it but my shuttle just has something I liked a little more so sold the streamliner within a week. Haven't listened to kens demos yet, just Ed's. Will tune in tonight.
[/quote]
I did find the Streamliner to be a nice head, especially the 3D power management, but after using MB heads for so many years and I could only afford to have one head, so the GB had to go this time. To my ears it just seemed to lack the sparkle I was used to, even though it had a great tone. I could have lived with it if I didn't have the F1.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1325955890' post='1490381']
Dave, I think you should buy one so if I am ever interested in your F1 then you can sell me it :)
[/quote]

This is my big concern. I made the mistake of getting rid of my MB heads last year, but ended up getting the F1. I don't want this to happen again.
I think it was you who persuaded me against the Shuttle 6.0 last year, based on the slightly lacking low end.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325956048' post='1490390']
I want the Max 9.2. Don't really need cabs/combos like the 6.2 12T (although would never say no) but the Max 9.2 really does have everything I want.
[/quote]

Ken Jung suggested the 9.2 max last year when I was thinking of getting the Streamliner. It did tick all the right boxes but I felt it had too much I wouldn't use, and didn't want to pay more for them. Of course back then the 6.2 didn't exist but now it does...........

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1325959767' post='1490473']

This is my big concern. I made the mistake of getting rid of my MB heads last year, but ended up getting the F1. I don't want this to happen again.
I think it was you who persuaded me against the Shuttle 6.0 last year, based on the slightly lacking low end.

[/quote]

Don't worry, I'll be telling you to get EBS soon :) I must admit I don't miss my Genz Benz Shuttle 6 or 9 at all and to be honest, those new sound clips/videos do nothing for me. In the flesh they may sound different but not enough to make me want to go and look at them. If I was going to get something else than the EBS then it would be MarkBass for sure.

I do think the MB heads just sound right with any cab I've owned. That's probably why I've never really had amp GAS. To be honest I can't ever see me getting rid of the F1, I would need to find the money from somewhere though.

I've just watched Kens Streamliner vs 9.2 max head and I definitely preferred the Max tone, even though both were pretty good.
I know a YT video is no way of auditioning a amp but as both were recorded under exactly the same conditions I felt I could at least hear the difference and liked what I heard.
I felt the Streamliner had more of a middy tone, good, but considering I don't need any more mids I think that why it didn't quite work for me.

Do we have an estimated street price on the 6.2 yet?

I don't get what the excitement is all about.

The original 6.0 is a fantastic head and I'm a little disappointed by all the hype over the modifications. More lows aren't necessarily a good thing on a hollow stage either. The reason I chose the Shuttle over the Markbass LM1 is precisely because it had more focussed lows. The eq on the amp is used for compensating onstage acoustics, not for compensating any deficiencies in how the instrument sounds. So if I need more low end I'll turn it up on the bass.

I felt the bass Ken Jung was using didn't show the amp at its best either. Did you hear how his bass lacked so much in the lower mids when he went down onto the B string at 1:27? Just listen to the comparative volume of each note as he plays it and you'll hear a big ol' scoop. There's a bit of techno-babble in some of the opinions on the talkbass threads as well, eg. using "accuracy" when "confidence" might fit better. Gear is mostly about how much playing confidence it inspires at the end of the day.

The one change I'd make to the head is switchable inputs so two basses can be plugged in (say a fretted and fretless). However if the 6.2 means the original 6.0 is going to become cheaper on the used markets I'm not complaining as I've wanted another for quite some time.

While I have never played a Shuttle the one negative comment I keep reading is the lack, for some, of low end.
They are obviously good, usable amps but we all like different things and some peeps just don't seem to get on with the shuttle.
I've not read anything bad about the low end on the max so I guess GB are just addressing an issue based on feedback.

While I agree that EQ is really just there to tweak for the venue etc every head has a certain character that I feel you have to like first. No matter how I tweaked the EQ on my Streamliner it could never sound like my F1.

That's how I see it anyway.

Edited by dave_bass5