Why become a member? ×

British made P-style necks

leroybasslines

Hello there!

I'm interested in renovating my first ever bass. It's a Hondo Deluxe P copy that my old man got me for my 7th birthday! That'll make it 30 years old and, although it's no competition for my Lakland 5560 that is my main bass, I'll never part with it. However, I'd like to be able to use it as an alternative to the jazz style Lakland and make it into a good P style gig-able instrument rather than it just sitting around looking sorry for itself...

I installed EMG pups in it ages ago which are great, but I'd like to put a new neck on it and upgrade the hardware. It's not exactly a boutique bass (!) so I'm not looking for boutique accessories, but rather good quality and reliable stuff that will take the bass to the next level.

I know of people like Warmoth etc, but I'd ideally like to find a British supplier of necks and the like that could perhaps make something to spec; my ideal would be a maple neck with rosewood fretboard, no inlays. Any ideas? Local makers would be even better - I live in Bristol.

I look forward to hearing your recommendations!

Cheers,
Liam

Probably not what you're looking for as it has inlays, but you can't argue with the price:

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECO-P-BASS-STANDARD-MAPLE-ROSEWOOD-GUITAR-NECK-/170650061147?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27bb89495b#ht_1034wt_954"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SECO-P-BASS-STANDARD-MAPLE-ROSEWOOD-GUITAR-NECK-/170650061147?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item27bb89495b#ht_1034wt_954[/url]

They look excellent value for money! Trouble is, when a company like this only has an eBay store and doesn't say much about their product I get suspicious! How come they're so cheap? Where are they made? Can they do custom requests, etc?

I'd be delighted if someone has dealt with Seco Guitars before and could recommend them...especially for fifty quid!

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325189539' post='1480808']
They look excellent value for money! Trouble is, when a company like this only has an eBay store and doesn't say much about their product I get suspicious! How come they're so cheap? Where are they made? Can they do custom requests, etc?

I'd be delighted if someone has dealt with Seco Guitars before and could recommend them...especially for fifty quid!
[/quote]
He's a mate of mine, so I can vouch that the necks do exist!

I'll have a chat with him about it and see what I can find out...

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325189539' post='1480808']

[/quote]

Hi Liam, hope you're well mate.
Have you considered Mighty Mite?
I've got one on a Sue Ryder bitsa P-Bass, its a decent neck for the money. Give us a shout if you want to check it out.
Cheers
Nick

Edited by nick

Hey @wateroftyne, anything you can find out would be great! Especially regarding quality and possibility of customisation (I'd love a neck with no inlays).

Hello Nick! I have seen Mighty Mite stuff around, but again they don't give away an awful lot on their website! Also, they don't seem to do anything other than a basic maple with a rosewood or maple fretboard. I've heard good things about them though. Is there a British retailer that you know of that I can find out more from?

Cheers guys!
Liam

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325259029' post='1481434']
I have seen Mighty Mite stuff around, but again they don't give away an awful lot on their website! Is there a British retailer that you know of that I can find out more from?

Cheers guys!
Liam
[/quote]

This bloke will sort you out with a Mighty Mite neck, his name is Dave. I (like a few others on here) have bought off of him, he's a good bloke,
very quick delivery too. :)
[url="http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bluebass320&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533"]http://myworld.ebay....984.m1543.l2533[/url]

Edited by pst62

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1325261970' post='1481480']
This bloke will sort you out with a Mighty Mite neck, his name is Dave. I (like a few others on here) have bought off of him, he's a good bloke,
[url="http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/bluebass320&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID&_trksid=p3984.m1543.l2533"]http://myworld.ebay....984.m1543.l2533[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for the tip! I'll get in touch and see what he can do...

It is plywood I think. That's what I thought too - I don't necessarily want a hand made beautiful neck on a cheap body. Rather, I want something quality enough to last and play well to make a decent instrument that'll look great and be a great backup to my main instrument. MM seem the best option, but the option of no inlays would be fantastic! If I can't get that for my budget, then I'll have to compromise!

Hey rumple, out of interest how much did your custom neck cost? If I could find a luthier prepared to do a bog standard neck for a decent price I'd be up for it!

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325268645' post='1481606']
It is plywood I think.
[/quote]
If it's this model, (Hondo made two or three different Precisions) it's more than likely plywood, mine was.
[attachment=96070:Me, Hondo II Precision (In The Talbot Pit, 1981).jpg]

Edited by pst62

It was £150 so probably not worth it in this instance, maybe just keep an eye on the 'for sale' section here on Basschat for a secondhand Fender or Squier one? the good thing about doing that is if you don't get on with that particular neck you can sell it on at no or very little loss of £'s :)

I've fitted two MM necks to cheap basses, and I think they're stonking value. Said it before, but I sold both my US Precisions on the strength of the basses once I'd finished upgrading them. One's better than the other in terms of fret finish, but both are waaaaaay better than a Hondo!

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325259029' post='1481434']
Hey @wateroftyne, anything you can find out would be great! Especially regarding quality and possibility of customisation (I'd love a neck with no inlays).
[/quote]

I've just spoken to Gaz.. he's rushed off his feet at the moment, but going to give me some more info ASAP.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1325261970' post='1481480']
[/quote]

I've just purchased a '70's logo rosewood P neck from his current crop. Not arrived yet (Xmas, New year, etc), but I emailed him about a couple of things and his replies were prompt and helpful, plus he's been in touch since the purchase.Will post about the neck soon as.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1325269992' post='1481620']

If it's this model, (Hondo made two or three different Precisions) it's more than likely plywood, mine was.
[/quote]

Yours looks a little different - more of a straight copy. Mine has a more stylised headstock with a sunburst finish. It's a Hondo Deluxe! It's been a great bass - the stuff it's been through for the last 30 years doesn't bear thinking about but it's still hanging in there!

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325277574' post='1481761']

I've just spoken to Gaz.. he's rushed off his feet at the moment, but going to give me some more info ASAP.
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I got in touch with the eBay chap about MM necks and he was very helpful. He says he may have just the thing - waiting on some more info and pics from him. Would love to hear more about the Seco necks though!

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325318819' post='1482030']
Yours looks a little different - more of a straight copy. Mine has a more stylised headstock with a sunburst finish. It's a Hondo Deluxe! It's been a great bass - the stuff it's been through for the last 30 years doesn't bear thinking about but it's still hanging in there!
[/quote]

Yes they're tough little bastards, mine took some stick in the time I had it, I only had two problems with it.
1. The pickups came away from their covers, but that was easily sorted with a bit of sponge.
2. The nut broke at the outer edge of the E slot, replaced it with a brass nut and never looked back.

I hope you get yours sorted to how you want it! :)

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1325326925' post='1482086']
Yes they're tough little bastards, mine took some stick in the time I had it, I only had two problems with it.
1. The pickups came away from their covers, but that was easily sorted with a bit of sponge.
2. The nut broke at the outer edge of the E slot, replaced it with a brass nut and never looked back.

I hope you get yours sorted to how you want it! :)
[/quote]

I am very fond of mine! It's been thrown, dropped countless times and generally neglected in my rock n'roll formative years but still plays really well. I put some active EMGs in it which sound great. The neck is a slab though!

[quote name='leroybasslines' timestamp='1325329171' post='1482109']
The neck is a slab though![/quote]

Yeah I think I know wot you mean by a slab.
It wasn't until I had a go on a '76 Precision that I realised that the neck on my Hondo was a bit wider than a Fender.
This for me was a welcome discovery, because as much as I loved the Precision look and sound, the wide neck issue had been putting me off wanting to upgrade to another one. I just wish I'd got to play that Fender sooner then I wouldn't have wasted my money on the two basses that followed the Hondo lol.

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1325270156' post='1481628']
It was £150 so probably not worth it in this instance, maybe just keep an eye on the 'for sale' section here on Basschat for a secondhand Fender or Squier one? the good thing about doing that is if you don't get on with that particular neck you can sell it on at no or very little loss of £'s :)
[/quote]
Sorry, just spotted this post! To be fair, £150 isn't a huge amount more than it'd cost to buy one off the peg (e.g. MM) by the time shipping etc is factored in. A luthier commission might be an avenue worth exploring. I can always move the neck onto a fancier body in the future: I'll still have the 'slab' to put back on my Hondo!

I had a look at the thread for your build and it looks great - my main instrument is a Lakland and your homage looks fantastic! Who did you get to build the neck? Would you recommend them?

Sounds like a good idea, our very own Henry Norton (Lawrence) made the neck for me, it's basically a narrower Lakland style with no markers, he's making me a fretless bass at the moment, I'm very happy with his work. The routed body and scratchplate were made by Basschatter Bass Doc (Howard) so you could try getting a quote from both of them to make you a bespoke neck.

I think Howard is making a bass for 'discreet' (Mark) ?