Why become a member? ×

new pickups (and pre?) for my warwick ss1 4st- recomendations

LukeFRC

So I have a bit of money, and thinking of trying something else out in my warwick. I loved a bass I had with nordie jazz pups and found the tone of the overwater/tanglewood pj was stunning- though overwater told me that their pj pickups are a custom size and will not fit.

Any recomendations and suggestions?

Edited by LukeFRC

Barts are the obvious choice for a Warwick.
Second to those in terms of custom options Warwick offer (read recommend!) are EMG and Duncans.

It depends what sound you are after but personally on a stage I I would probably go for EMG's and put it into line with the original EMG equipped ones from the 80's.

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1324644914' post='1476590']
Barts are the obvious choice for a Warwick.
Second to those in terms of custom options Warwick offer (read recommend!) are EMG and Duncans.

It depends what sound you are after but personally on a stage I I would probably go for EMG's and put it into line with the original EMG equipped ones from the 80's.
[/quote] are EMG and the early MEC pups quite similar?

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1324646111' post='1476612']
What size of pickups do you have in the SS1 - are they those MEC Soapbars? Do you have any pics?
[/quote] no they are the p j pickups you get on the 4 string streamer stage one. I have pics up somewhere but. Wouldnt be able to find them on my phone!

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1324646111' post='1476612']
What size of pickups do you have in the SS1 - are they those MEC Soapbars? Do you have any pics?
[/quote] no they are the p j pickups you get on the 4 string streamer stage one. I have pics up somewhere but. Wouldnt be able to find them on my phone!

Shame you hadn't decided sooner as I've just sold the Bart set that would have dropped straight in and are a great compliment to the maple of your Streamer. I'd agree that the MECs and EMGs though different are IMHO subtly different, SDs will give you a different sound again but what don't you like about the MECs?

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1324649838' post='1476663']
Shame you hadn't decided sooner as I've just sold the Bart set that would have dropped straight in and are a great compliment to the maple of your Streamer. I'd agree that the MECs and EMGs though different are IMHO subtly different, SDs will give you a different sound again but what don't you like about the MECs?
[/quote] that's a shame, they would have been good to try. I don't hate the MEC, but just a feeling of how they react to playing styles and right hand technique and sound a little compressed, like the top end should have more space and bottom more depth, the nordies had that. hard to explain, though the MEC have a bright sound with a hint of the deep darkness of the tone. I love the bass but not amazed with the tone... if that makes sense

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1324650440' post='1476670']
that's a shame, they would have been good to try. I don't hate the MEC, but just a feeling of how they react to playing styles and right hand technique and sound a little compressed, like the top end should have more space and bottom more depth, the nordies had that. hard to explain, though the MEC have a bright sound with a hint of the deep darkness of the tone. I love the bass but not amazed with the tone... if that makes sense
[/quote]

I've often wondered whether some of that 'compression' is from the NT maple construction but yes I think the EMGs emphasis this a little less than the MECs.

Bartolinis are the ones for the SS1 streamer IMO. SD's aren't really the best in Warwick basses, as far as my tastes go. They colour the sound a lot and emphasise the highs and lows with a pretty plain midrange. Whereas a suitable pickup should be giving depth and vibrance to the mids.

My Streamer is all maple with a walnut slice through the middle of it and an ebony board. It should be as sharp as a razor, yet the two Bartolini soapbars in it mellow things out nicely and give it a really rich, musical sound. Crisp, defined highs that aren't shrill and piercing, a tight bottom end sound and a very musical midrange. Quite simply, it sounds bloody fantastic. I'm not sure if it's 'special' because its a limited edition model, but it sounds far better than the usual fare of Streamers with MEC's, EMG's and SD's. Next year I suspect I'll buy a Thumb NT with Barts.

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1324650604' post='1476675']

I've often wondered whether some of that 'compression' is from the NT maple construction but yes I think the EMGs emphasis this a little less than the MECs.
[/quote] that's why I would like to try out something else, worst case the MEC go back in!
How did you find the barts you just sold? Edit: find the sound

Edited by LukeFRC

The Barts never made it into a Streamer but I've had SSI basses with Barts and I'd describe them as having a dark low mid tone (I'm rubbish at frequencies and such but colours and textures I can do LOL). I'd agree that Barts are a good choice if you don't like the MECs and buying used means you won't lose much if you don't like! ;)

Why not try the newer EMG X series? I'd be tempted to go for the JVX bridge and PAX combo....EMG's but with a touch more class?

I put the older EMG's into a SS1 a few years ago and thought it was an improvement, but not a drastic one. I also swapped out the MEC circuit for an Aguilar 2 band - that really was better, and simpler (I never used the mid range). If I did it again it would probably be EMG JVX/PAX with a John East MM 2 band circuit.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1324672154' post='1477015']
Why not try the newer EMG X series? I'd be tempted to go for the JVX bridge and PAX combo....EMG's but with a touch more class?

I put the older EMG's into a SS1 a few years ago and thought it was an improvement, but not a drastic one. I also swapped out the MEC circuit for an Aguilar 2 band - that really was better, and simpler (I never used the mid range). If I did it again it would probably be EMG JVX/PAX with a John East MM 2 band circuit.
[/quote] my streamer is old enough to have the 2 band. The preamp isnt earth shattering but I like it and works well with my tecamp amp eq

What I'd really like to hear is a Streamer with an ACG/East preamp. After all, there was a bloke on here with an ACG preamp in his Thumb and it sounded amazing. Can't find the page now :(

EDIT: got it

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3919-acg-bass-pre-amp/

Edited by Chris2112

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1324676568' post='1477048']
What I'd really like to hear is a Streamer with an ACG/East preamp. After all, there was a bloke on here with an ACG preamp in his Thumb and it sounded amazing. Can't find the page now :(

EDIT: got it

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/3919-acg-bass-pre-amp/
[/quote] in theory amazing, in practice pricey and I thought they stopped making them so hard to find?

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1324677933' post='1477059']
Hi
The ACG EQ02 pre-amp is still very much available the 01 version is only available in my own instruments I am afraid.

Cheers
Alan
[/quote] oops I was wrong, sorry! Off to look at your site but feeling financial pickups and pre may be a two stage job. Out of interest what would you recommend pickup wise (or keep pups with new pre?) Cheers

I would change one at a time. Either change the pickups and see how that goes or the other way round.
If you are not sure which of the two is the weak link in the setup.

Pretty much all my experience is with the Armstrong pickups I use. Aaron can wind pretty much whatever you want in the size you need for the bass,it is worth having a chat with him.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1324681415' post='1477096']
I would change one at a time. Either change the pickups and see how that goes or the other way round.

Pretty much all my experience is with the Armstrong pickups I use. Aaron can wind pretty much whatever you want in the size you need for the bass,it is worth having a chat with him.
[/quote] that sounds good, pups first, think I will try get hold of some barts first. I genuinely think its because the pups are active.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1324681415' post='1477096']

[/quote]
(and cheaper pups and money towards one of your preamps might be better, just been reading reviews)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1324650440' post='1476670']
that's a shame, they would have been good to try. I don't hate the MEC, but just a feeling of how they react to playing styles and right hand technique and sound a little compressed, like the top end should have more space and bottom more depth, the nordies had that. hard to explain, though the MEC have a bright sound with a hint of the deep darkness of the tone. I love the bass but not amazed with the tone... if that makes sense
[/quote]

Frequency limiting?

the SD's will definatly be brighter a have a extended low end, depending on model. they also tend to have an even range (providing the bass is setup ruight)