Why become a member? ×

Hi from Brixton! ...and how not to get your bass STOLEN!

aacred

Hi all,

I'm a new Basschat member from [b]Brixton, London[/b]. I joined at the beginning of the week following an incident in which my bass was [b]stolen[/b]!

I've been playing the bass for 4 years or so now and currently own a beautiful candy apple red [b]Sandberg California JM-4[/b].

I made the mistake of putting it down for 30 seconds outside my front door in Brixton on Sunday morning as I went to knock on a window to get one of my friends to let me in. This was at 3am after coming back from a gig, and my street is always quiet anyway. I've never had any problems before (I could go on for ages about how great Brixton is) but clearly putting anything down for even 30 seconds is 30 seconds too long!

Luckily it seems that the people who took it had no idea what it was worth and took it to a [b]Cash Converters[/b] yesterday afternoon. I had contacted every one of their stores in London; they immediately knew what is was and took it in for me. It's currently with the police and we're hoping to catch the thieves.

I consider myself very lucky.

I've heard a number of stories in which something similar has happened to the owner of a musical instrument. It seems that it really is worth contacting stores like Cash Converters - their staff were very helpful and their quick thinking has got me back my bass.

---

For those who are interested I play my bass through a [b]SansAmp Bassdriver[/b] preamp pedal, which lets me get the tone I want without an amp wherever I go. The bass also has a really responsive blend control between the single and humbucking Delano pickups, along with a really punchy active mode. It's an incredibly versatile instrument for everything from hardcore to swing and fantastic to play.

I'm not going to let it leave my sight again!

Welcome to the forum, glad you got it back, i lived in Peckham for 30 odd years and worked in Camberwell for a number of years wish i could sing it's praises but i have seen the decline in inner London first hand. so i moved to the garden of England and to be honest ...................it's just as bad. Next stop Canada! :)

Welcome to the forum aacred. You'll find a fair few South Londoners on here and a fair few more ex South Londoners. I had my bike stolen from my workshop down Coldharbour Lane - I hadn't left it outside either, the thieves smashed their way in through the roof, so I can imagine seeing a nice looking instrument left in a doorway would be far too tempting for most thieves!

The thing is, I thought Brixton turned all nice, safe and middle class after I left :)

[quote name='aacred' timestamp='1323885395' post='1468290']

(I could go on for ages about how great Brixton is)

[/quote]

Yeah, it sounds like it. 30 seconds? At 3am? Do these scumbags just materialise out of nowhere?

But very glad to hear you're now reunited with your bass. Hopefully the police can track down the culprit(s).

Thanks for the replies guys!

Most people are pretty dubious about Brixton - I guess it's like anywhere else in London and can change from year to year. Only takes one really bad experience to change your mind about an area (@henry: yours sounds pretty nasty). But I think this could've happened anywhere in London, or even where I used to live in Cambridge (@tony: Let us know how Canada turns out :)). I guess a guitar on your back makes you a target and I'm obviously all too aware of that now.

In general this area has been great to live in - the people are surprisingly friendly for London, there's a great market, independent food shops and restaurants, and a pretty active music scene - the Windmill, Hootenanny and the Jamm are all worth checking out for a pretty wide range of high quality live music.

Anyway, I'll stop there. Thanks for the messages. I'll make sure to post some pics of the bass up (minus me screaming) once the police give it back to me :)

True true, I live just round the corner from the Academy. Loads of character and great sound for a big venue!

Just thought I'd also give a shout out to some of the smaller venues, as I don't think my band will be playing the Academy any time soon, haha.

welcome, and i'm glad you got your bass back - nice to hear a story like that turn out nice for a change.

i live in tottenham - is tottenham considered dodgier that brixton these days ?

girlfen was waiting at seven sisters tube for me to come and meet her after a night out and one of the tube workmen came up to her and asked her if she was ok, as this was a 'bad neighbourhood'...she was wearing a ball dress at the time...

maybe he thought some posh bird had got off at the wrong stop :)

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1324044348' post='1470177'] do the police have any leads on your drummers t-shirt? [/quote]

It's a mystery. He always seems to get targeted just before gigs... That picture was taken at a gig in the heart of Transylvania so it may have been a vampire. Whether or not it was and whether they were as hot as the Twilight series makes out, we'll never know...

Howdy neighbour!

I live in Stockwell and go shopping in Brixton all the time. I really like it and it doesn't seem any more dangerous than the places I lived in London before. What happens to you was (thankfully) just a warnin. We should always be aware of the scumbag thieves all the time. I carry a baseball bat in my boot, just in case they try to get cute when I'm unloading... ;)

Welcome to Basschat!

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1324297352' post='1472616']
Howdy neighbour!

I live in Stockwell and go shopping in Brixton all the time. I really like it and it doesn't seem any more dangerous than the places I lived in London before. What happens to you was (thankfully) just a warnin. We should always be aware of the scumbag thieves all the time. I carry a baseball bat in my boot, just in case they try to get cute when I'm unloading... ;)

Welcome to Basschat!
[/quote]

As an American Secretary of State said about dealing with the USSR.. "Speak softly, and carry a Big Stick".

• 2 weeks later...