Why become a member? ×

How on earth do you pick a Fender Precision?

SebCarr

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1323796304' post='1467212']
Raising that old chestnut "[b][s]How[/s][/b] Why [b]on earth do you pick a Fender Precision[/b]?" when there are many other arguably better offerings available. :)
[/quote]

I'm a sucker for block and bound necks and you don't see that on many P basses, just thought the OP shouldn't limit the search to Fender alone.

[quote name='Randy_Marsh' timestamp='1323823985' post='1467588']

I'm a sucker for block and bound necks and you don't see that on many P basses, just thought the OP shouldn't limit the search to Fender alone.
[/quote]

While I think precisions, and Fenders in general are best when they're left plain and simple.

I didn't pick mine, it chose me. It was sitting on eBay one Monday lunchtime with an hour to go, £200 start and no bids. I won it by a margin of about 35p from one other bidder who also thought they could get a bargain. It plays better than anything I've had before or since, which is nice in a way, but I'd quite like a change.

I didn't get to play any cheapies today, but I did play a US standard and a Road Worn in Wunjo (who were very friendly and helpful). I liked them both better than the Mex standard I tried at the weekend.

The US model was a bit brighter, but the strings felt fresher so that may account for that. It had a bit more punch as you'd expect from a more modem pickup style.

The Road Worn was lighter and just as nice to play, and had that lovely comfortable worn in feel. I'd rather have this, but with the hotter punch of the US pup I think! Hmm, Road Worn plus Wizard... Getting pricey! No wiggle room on price, either.

Since building my Warmoth my JV feels too wide....a p-bass [i]needs[/i] a Jazz neck...I only discovered this with my Warmoth....do Fender make a Jazz necked P anymore? Late 70s P specials had a Jazz neck as far as I remember but I don't think they make that combo currently

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1323904422' post='1468663']
Since building my Warmoth my JV feels too wide....a p-bass [i]needs[/i] a Jazz neck...I only discovered this with my Warmoth....do Fender make a Jazz necked P anymore? Late 70s P specials had a Jazz neck as far as I remember but I don't think they make that combo currently
[/quote]

Fender Duff McKagan Signature bass. I want one!

This doesn't so much like 'which precision' as 'how do I find THE one'.

My feeling is that there's 2 approaches to take:

1) Go find a shop with a large stock and spend an afternoon (or a whole day) working your way through methodically - this is the approach to take when you need something fairly quickly. I did this when I bought my No1 strat, and played somewhere between 25 and 30 guitars back-to-back.

2) Buy a cheapish version of what you want, then consider what works for you and what you wish were better. Use the experience gained to find your 'ultimate' instrument. I did this with Les Pauls (except the first one was 'nice', and the really good one was cheaper). This is a better way of choosing except that one can get diverted off onto other instruments or even other activities.

Somebody mentioned MIJ instruments. All my favourite guitars are Japanese: Fender, Washburn and Tokai. I own handmade English and American guitars, but they don't have what my MIJ instruments do.

[indent=1]It's the "shop with large stock" bit that's stumping me. I mean, in my dreams I'll wonder into a shop on a whim and find selection of Squier Affinity, VM, and CV, a Mex standard, Mex 50s, Road Worn, USA Highway 1, USA Special, USA Standard and a Custom Shop all lined up, with more than one of each in a bunch of colours, plus a used selection including US stuff from the 70s, 80s and 90s, various Japanese, an SQ, a JV and a Silver Series. All there, all at decent prices, with a friendly salesman, loads of time and an iso booth so I don't have to subject the rest of the shop to my noodling. Then I could play away, comparing two at a time and picking which I prefer until I get my answer.[/indent]

[indent=1]But that's not going to happen. It's hard to find anywhere with even half of those new options in stock, let alone the used selection. So whether I spot a bargain on eBay or buy from a shop I'm going to be taking a bit of a punt.[/indent]

[indent=1]I don't really need to play [i]everything,[/i] but I need to play enough stuff to feel like I made an informed decision, and that my P is a GOOD P. We've all heard about Fender's sliping standards and the 70s dogs, and how the JV really shook Fender up - yet every 70s and 80s P I've seen on sale has said something along the lines of "But don't worry, this is one of the GOOD ones" and I need to be in a position to say "yup, it sure is" or walk away with my cash still in my pocket![/indent]

Last time I was in Dawsons music in reading they had quite a big selection of basses (according to the website they have 29 different models of precision). Might be worth giving them a call to ask what they have that you'd like to try.

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/stores/music-shop-reading"]http://www.dawsons.c...ic-shop-reading[/url]

http://www.dawsons.co.uk/guitars/bass-guitars/product-range-precision-bass

Edited by Ancient Mariner

dawsons in reading is good. Also, PMT in Oxford (and elsewhere i imagine) has a fantastic stock of fender and squier basses. I was in the oxford store yesterday and they had squier affinity's, cv's, vm's, fender mexicans and fender USAs. I think there was a roadworn P there too. They also had those modern player fenders there too.

So, this really doesn't get any easier!

Today I played a Squier Affinity, a Squier CV 50s, a MIM Standard, a MIM 50s, a Tokai Hardpuncher, and a Highway 1, initially in that order.

The biggest surprise was the Affinity (black, rosewood). What a bass for £180! Light, nice neck, sounded, looked and played like a P. Looks a little cheap and wimpy pups but really impressive. But I don't [i]want[/i] one. If that was the only thing on offer it'd be fine, but it's not!

The CV (blonde, maple) felt like a whole lotta bass. Loads of character. I really liked this. Roll off the tone and it sounded lovely, too. Not a very 50s finish (looked and felt like it'd been dipped in a large vat of extra thick and glossy varnish), and the pup was a bit of a wimp too. The 3 piece body looked fine, but I know that'd start to bug me in time (as my guitars hang on the wall).

MIM Standard (sunburst, rosewood) Meh. Just Meh. Looked fine, played fine, sounded fine, but so lacking in character. Maybe it just needs a better pup to bring it to life? But it wasn't inspiring like the CV.

MIM 50s (fiesta red, maple). I couldn't tell you where the extra £200 goes, but you can tell it's somewhere. Just [i]better[/i] in some way than the Standard and I don't know how or why. But I'd pick it over a standard, for sure.

Tokai: disappointing. Thick finish. Very wide, flat fingerboard. All of the others felt like P basses. This looked the part, but didn't quite sound or feel like a P bass to me. Very different in character to the others - so I can see why they have a loyal following - but it's not for me.

Highway 1 (honey, rosewood) - Hmm... love the nitro. Very woody tone. Nice to play, but something was lacking. BUT I just get the impression that this is probably old stock, with old strings. It sounded very dull unplugged. Nice to play, but felt a very different beast from a 50s (as it should, to be fair).

All I know so far is an Affinity is too cheap and cheerful, a Tokai isn't for me and a MIM Standard doesn't get my pulse racing. Beyond that, I'm still lost - but making progress!

If you liked the MIM 50s, try a Road Worn. Virtually the same bass, but much more comfortable due to the fake relicing. Just like those comfy old jogging bottoms that are knackered beyond belief, but feel so comfy. I`m not a fan of fake relicing, but I am a fan of these basses.

Oh, and agree about the Squier Affinity - they really are much better than the price tag, and position on the range would suggest.