Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

50 gigs & the Orange Tiny Terror is dead !

punkypuncher

Just done my 50th gig with my Orange Tiny terror,but tonight it died on me,never had a problems as yet.
So after having to go via the PA witht the bass,in the interval we checked every thing,valves were changed,power lead.
So on with the second set,3 songs later and what do ya know,it's died again.
Well have i found a fault with these so called worhorse amps ! or have i killed it.
Never used passed 2nd notch & gain is et at 2 to 3,so i'v hardly cained it.

Any idea's Basschatters !!!!!

Orange i will be on the blower on Monday.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1323568712' post='1464686']
In what manner did the amp die? Did it cut out completely, or is it an intermittent fault? Did all the LEDs go out or did they stay on and just no sound? More info will help indicate the fault to the more experienced tech-savvy posters.
[/quote]

Ok,it just died,light on front went out,then faded on & off ,like there was some kind of power loss.
Hence why we changed the power lead,then changed the valves.
i'm baffled by this.

Some guitar shops call it the "Tiny Terror Bass" but that's not its name - it says Orange Terror Bass on the tin.

Before you bin it, try checking the power supply at the venue.

My OTB refuses to work properly at the George IV in Chiswick High Road, and ONLY at that venue. Every other place I've played since I bought it, the amp has worked fine.

My rig includes a Power Conditioner with an LED display of how clean the power supply is. Most venues, it's lit up into the green, a few it drops occasionally into the orange. At the George IV it routinely runs in the orange, frequently dropping into the red.

Both the valve pre-amp section and the Class D power section require a certain minimum amount of power to function at all, let alone work properly. You may find that you were just playing a venue with a crap power supply.

Edited by Happy Jack

Can you give us a link on the Orange web site for the exact amp you have. I can't see anything called the Tiny Terror Bass.

There's the Tiny Terror range of amps which are low wattage all-valve designed for guitars, and the Terror Bass range of amps which are high-wattage valve/digital hybrids for bass. Both ranges work in a completely different way and will suffer from different problems, so unless we know which one it is we can't really give you good advice.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1323614852' post='1465030']
My OTB refuses to work properly at the George IV in Chiswick High Road, and ONLY at that venue. Every other place I've played since I bought it, the amp has worked fine.
[/quote]

Sorry, going OT but if you play there, we must be neighbours then. And Maiden live in the area too.

We'll be playing three sets, on the hour, starting at 9:00pm. We're expecting a real party atmosphere, and The George have just give us our first three dates for 2012 so clearly they're pretty happy with us. :)

We normally set up around 7:30-ish if you want a chance to chat.

http://www.lemonrock.com/junkyarddogs

Great, Jack. I've checked the link in your siggy too, good to see you have lots of dates at the George. Will pop down!

PS More apologies for hijacking the thread.

Ancient Mariner, will check that thread. Thanks.

I will stop posting off topic on this immediately. Sorry for this.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='punkypuncher' timestamp='1323685811' post='1465659']
The orange amp is going to tech support at Orange today,most helpfull too.
If there's a fault,full replacement.
Well i can't ask for anymore than thayt really.
[/quote]

Sounds good.. I've never had any problems with my Terror bass.. I use it alot, bought secind hand off here and it's been fine for the last 18months.. Nice support form orange

Do we all know the bass amp is called the Terror bass and the Tiny terrors are actually the guitar amps, not the bass ones :)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1323645629' post='1465473']
I know it`s another lump to carry, but perhaps an Uninterruptable power supply might prevent power problems with valvey ampage.
[/quote]

Could maybe save a few pounds in weight and money by ditching the battery pack and just getting an APC Line-R or similar line conditioner. I don't know how good the [url="http://www.ebuyer.com/53035-apc-le1200i-line-r-1200va-automatic-voltage-regulator-200-230-240v-4-output-connectors-le1200i"]new ones[/url] are, but the old ones were great.

[quote name='punkypuncher' timestamp='1324050515' post='1470307']
OK Orange have replaced my Terror Bass Head with a new 1,lets see if i kill this within 50 gigs,if so im going Ampeg.
Oh & i still not sure what the fault was ?
Orange your on probation.
[/quote]

did you buy this brand new and provided receipts etc.. if not and it's over a year, I'd say you've done very well mate. Not all amp companies would do that without a fight. New have a new one now

Are you sure your comments shouldn't be 'thanks Orange, let's see how this goes'?

Edited by algmusic