Why become a member? ×

Overwater endorsement!!

Chlo_treacher

Have you tried the jazz neck yet.
Might be worthwhile and it gives you the change between jazz and precision.

I'm 100% sure Chris and the guys will give you the best advice and might be worth waiting to see what they suggest.
I'm assuming you've been at the workshop. They will have sample basses on display which is always a big help when deciding.
Chris also knows 100's of bassists that I'm sure he would be able to get someone to bring theirs along to maybe let you try.

Chris also attends the Moffat Bass Bash in Feb i think but that's maybe too far away for you to wait both in time scale and distance for that matter.

Good luck with it.

Dave

Welcome to the Overwater owners club - Chris May was very helpful when I was having my J5 built nearly 8 years ago. We spent about 30-40 mins on the phone discussing woods, hardware & so on, & when I made the trip to Carlisle to collect, I spent another couple of hours chatting to both Chris & Laurence about all things bass!

Top people to deal with, you won't be disappointed :)

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1323393717' post='1462985']
Also, as a working player I'd personally say image is about 50% the deciding factor of getting the gig or not. You can be the best player in the world but if you don't look right, you won't get the gig.
[/quote]

sorry to stir off conversation a little bit. But i think image if not already will definitely soon be almost 70%. Students are finding it easier to get a good education in music. There must be at least a dozen good contemporary schools and even more conservatoires that a producing amazing players ever year.

Back on conversation. With a 5 string you have to accept that your probably going to want 35inch scale to get the best tone from the low B, also i like the neck to be wider nearer the pickups side for solo'ing. As a small being, 5ft 10, this completely takes away any "badboy" image that being in a band is supposed to create. 80% or so of my gigs that are on electric bass are done on the 4 string basses for that reason and also i dont need the low B without showing off :)

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1323445711' post='1463535']
*waves* yaay thanks lol I feel so loved already this is all extremely exciting lol. What overwater do you have woodster? x
[/quote]

I've got the Fiesta Red PJ 5 in my avatar and also a 5 string Jazz deluxe in blue.....
Enjoy the process, I promise you won't be disappointed. I'm excited for you!!

Chris

[quote name='woodster' timestamp='1323469175' post='1463819']
I've got the Fiesta Red PJ 5 in my avatar and also a 5 string Jazz deluxe in blue.....
Enjoy the process, I promise you won't be disappointed. I'm excited for you!!

Chris
[/quote]

Awesome! :o Thanks, Chris says either he or Lawrence are going to call me next week to discuss even more details. I'll keep you all updated on how that conversation goes!

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1323448950' post='1463581']
Have you tried the jazz neck yet.
Might be worthwhile and it gives you the change between jazz and precision.

I'm 100% sure Chris and the guys will give you the best advice and might be worth waiting to see what they suggest.
I'm assuming you've been at the workshop. Good luck with it.

Dave
[/quote]

Haven't been to the workshop yet, I met Chris at bass day in manchester this year but other than that all conversations have taken place either by phone or facebook. Definitely going to rely on Chris' advice. I already get the feeling he totally understands my needs as a player and will not push me into anything I dont need just for the sake of it, which is a wonderful feeling in itself. Very much looking forward to heading up to the workshop at some point though,
Cannot wait for the day when I have the bass in my hands for the first time. I'll probably get all emotional ahaha! :)

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1323464088' post='1463775']
sorry to stir off conversation a little bit. But i think image if not already will definitely soon be almost 70%. Students are finding it easier to get a good education in music. There must be at least a dozen good contemporary schools and even more conservatoires that a producing amazing players ever year.[/quote]

Yep definitely agree with you there, as a female player I'd say its there already anyway if not more. I'm well aware that 95% of the gigs I get is because I look good on stage, it still amazes me how many people (audience/band memebers/md's alike) are 'suprised' at the fact that I can actually play too. :)

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1323464088' post='1463775']Back on conversation. With a 5 string you have to accept that your probably going to want 35inch scale to get the best tone from the low B, also i like the neck to be wider nearer the pickups side for solo'ing. As a small being, 5ft 10, this completely takes away any "badboy" image that being in a band is supposed to create. 80% or so of my gigs that are on electric bass are done on the 4 string basses for that reason and also i dont need the low B without showing off :)
[/quote]

Lol yeah well Im about 5ft 1 which is why Chris was saying about making it smaller scale and lighter. The idea of having an instrument that wont completely dwarf me on stage as well as break my back (actually the 79 p-bass I own is pretty light but after a while even that wears me down) is totally weird for me lol! We'll see how it goes, I'm getting impaitent already and it hasn't even started!! :o

Chlo x

Edited by Chlo_treacher

Well done!
Just visited your YouTube Channel! Some good stuff there...Stevie Wonder but I think it's just showing off to play right AND left handed!

Anyway.....can I have your old unwanted basses?

Remember...a bass isn't just for Christmas.... :)

Edited by merello

[quote name='merello' timestamp='1323622639' post='1465119']
Well done!
Just visited your YouTube Channel! Some good stuff there...Stevie Wonder but I think it's just showing off to play right AND left handed!

Anyway.....can I have your old unwanted basses?

Remember...a bass isn't just for Christmas.... :)
[/quote]

lol I'm actually right handed it was just the stupid program on my computer that made it look as if I was a lefty! But thanks for the compliments. I might be selling a few basses to raise some cash for this overwater bass so when the time comes will put an add up on here for people to have a look.

x

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1323624298' post='1465149']
lol I'm actually right handed it was just the stupid program on my computer that made it look as if I was a lefty! But thanks for the compliments. I might be [u][b]selling[/b][/u] a few basses to raise some cash for this overwater bass so when the time comes will put an add up on here for people to have a look.

x
[/quote]
I'm from Scotland! Pay?!?!

No - joking, well done. I'm only a wee bass dabbler at school concerts but it's always good to see someone doing well. When you get on the telly, will you remember us? :)
ps - I'd keep the left/right thing to confuse everyone!

Congratulations on the deal, I've never owned an Overwater, but I've liked the few I've picked up..also met Chris at the workshop a few years ago. Seemed like a very decent person and not at all phased by the presence of my (6 months old?) son.

Sounds like a 32" scale PJ would fit nicely, with those discreet and musical active electronics. No one seems to mind active basses, if they look like they could be passive? I wouldn't ask your manager's opinion, except for the colour...maybe.

Hope it works out well

So Chris will be giving me a ring hopefully this evening to go over the final details of the bass....I've decided to go for a white j series 4 string, 32" scale with rosewood fretboard and torteshell scratch plate. Possibly smaller machine heads and might have them slanting towards me too, so I can reach everything ok :lol:. It wont look custom to the eye but it'll be easier/better to play and probably (from what I've gathered) sound better (well cleaner) than a fender too! Keep y'all updated with how the conversation goes. excited much?!?!

x

Edited by Chlo_treacher

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1324051535' post='1470326']
So Chris will be giving me a ring hopefully this evening to go over the final details of the bass....I've decided to go for a white j series 4 string, 32" scale with rosewood fretboard and torteshell scratch plate. Possibly smaller machine heads and might have them slanting towards me too, so I can reach everything ok :lol:. It wont look custom to the eye but it'll be easier/better to play and probably (from what I've gathered) sound better (well cleaner) than a fender too! Keep y'all updated with how the conversation goes. excited much?!?!
x
[/quote]

Sounds v tasty! Looking forward to the 'build diary'!

Woohoo!!

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1324051535' post='1470326']

x
[/quote]

Hi - sounds good! I had a 32" scale Jaguar-styled bass made the Bass Doc recently (info [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/150814-bass-doc-electric-iv/"]here[/url]). I love it, but found the shorter scale took a bit of getting used to at first. A cheap way to try an almost 32" scale is to put a capo on a 34" bass at the first fret - might be worth trying that before pushing the button on the build to check it's for you...

By the way, did you used to play in Unkle Bob? Great band!

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1324072171' post='1470689']
Hi - sounds good! I had a 32" scale Jaguar-styled bass made the Bass Doc recently (info [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/150814-bass-doc-electric-iv/"]here[/url]). I love it, but found the shorter scale took a bit of getting used to at first. A cheap way to try an almost 32" scale is to put a capo on a 34" bass at the first fret - might be worth trying that before pushing the button on the build to check it's for you...

By the way, [b]did you used to play in Unkle Bob?[/b] Great band!

Cheers,

B.
[/quote]

Yes, that was me!! Where did you know us from? It was a really great band for sure, I will miss them dearly. :( BUT having said that we might be doing a farewell mini tour sometime early next year so there might yet be a chance to say goodbye...

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1324080563' post='1470790']
should be similar to this then....

[attachment=95447:overwater 1.jpg]
[/quote]

;) yep cant wait soooooooo pretty :gas:

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1324210166' post='1471766']
Yes, that was me!! Where did you know us from?
[/quote]

Small world - my brother & Rob the drummer's brother were in the same class at school! Came to see the band at the Head of Steam up here in Newcastle a while back - great gig!

Hope you'll be back up north on your farewell tour - Newcastle's not far from Overwater HQ... ;)

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1324228736' post='1472063']
Small world - my brother & Rob the drummer's brother were in the same class at school! Came to see the band at the Head of Steam up here in Newcastle a while back - great gig!

Hope you'll be back up north on your farewell tour - Newcastle's not far from Overwater HQ... ;)

Cheers,

B.
[/quote]

Ahhh I know Andrew well, thats so cool! Rob's family are some of the nicest people I've ever met, total sweethearts. I remember doing that show! I think it was on the first tour I did with them, supporting a god awful girl band if I remember correctly no? Dont worry if this farewell tour does actually happen there will definitely be a date up t'north. Most likely to be Barnard Castle for obvious reasons but its going to take a while to organize and get everything running smoothly. So keep you updated. :)

x

[quote name='Chlo_treacher' timestamp='1324249161' post='1472313']
Ahhh I know Andrew well, thats so cool! Rob's family are some of the nicest people I've ever met, total sweethearts. I remember doing that show! I think it was on the first tour I did with them, supporting a god awful girl band if I remember correctly no? Dont worry if this farewell tour does actually happen there will definitely be a date up t'north. Most likely to be Barnard Castle for obvious reasons but its going to take a while to organize and get everything running smoothly. So keep you updated. :)

x
[/quote]

I remember that girl band - there was a guy near us in the crowd who kept saying it was a travesty that you went on before them!

Andrew's a great guy - he put together a band for our wedding last year with my bro guesting on vocals & did a great job.

Hope to catch you if you make it up here - always happy to have an excuse to go back to the dale. If it takes a while to organise then it'll give you a chance to take your new Overwater out too!

Cheers,

B.