Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II Cardinal series - views?

Paul S

Been reading a little about these but can't find much hands on experience - I really like the styling. Does anyone have one - what are they like? Mainly - are they heavy and what neck size?!

If they are heavy and have wide necks, are there any Aria Pro basses that are lightweight/skinny necked things?

Ta.

I have a Lovely blue Cardinal CSB380 32" medium scale and at 3.8kg its certainly not heavy, neck is very comfortable and fast ( 42mm at nut )

Mine will be up for sale ( or trade for an acoustic bass ) shortly!

Will.

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1323293621' post='1461801']
I have a Lovely blue Cardinal CSB380 32" medium scale and at 3.8kg its certainly not heavy, neck is very comfortable and fast ( 42mm at nut )

Mine will be up for sale ( or trade for an acoustic bass ) shortly!

Will.
[/quote]
Ditto that (I've got a CSB300 as well).

They're both a similar weight, slim (depth-wise) Precision type necks, with a grunty P type sound with a bit of added 'flap' from the shorter scale. Differences between the two are the glossy finish, a couple of less pieces of wood in the body and smoother tuners on the 380 - though they both hold tuning equally well.

Hi I,ve had one from new since 80 something,transparent blue with original aria case.
Best neck I,ve ever had.
Nice and light,fabulous action-I have never adjusted it from day one.
Considering it was a budget type bass at the time they were really well built and finished.
My one is bolt on neck but they did make set neck ones as well.
I,ve often wondered if I should squeeze a musicman pick up in it and run it passive.
Either that or get Andy at Wizard to do a rewind sprinkle some magic on it.It would be worth it cause it,s a great bass to play.

Thanks for your input, chaps. So they are pitching against the Epiphone EBO type range? That hadn't occurred to me but, looking again, it makes sense. My guess is that these would be a notch up in quality compared to the Epis and probably on a par with the Westones?

I think the neck may be too wide - the Westone/Washburn 40mm wide necks are about as fat as I can get on with and these sound a little wider and perhaps a little thicker, too.

I had a lovely blue CSB-380 Cardinal series as my first bass. I sold as i wanted something more modern looking at the time, still regret selling it now. The neck's are great on them, it was my first bass and i don't have the biggest hands but i found it really easy to get on with. If you can get your hands on one to try it i would definitely recommend it, you won't be disappointed!

My first bass was a Cardinal Deluxe. At the time I didn't realise it was a shorter scale :)
Discovered that fact after I'd part-ex'd it for an SB Elite and wondered why I got the wrong fret, every so often, for a day or two.
But the Cardinal was great to play

I have a defretted CSB-300 (the walnut one) & it's surprisingly good. Not heavy at all & while the neck's around Precision width at the nut,it's really thin so easy to get around.

The hardware on these things is great - really solid bridge & a nice humbucker near the bridge. I think they were made in the same factory as early Westones, so a really solid build. At current prices you get a bargain compared to buying new!

Coincidentally I'm thinking of moving mine on too, but that's only because I'm pretty rubbish on fretless... :)

Cheers,

B.

[quote name='benebass' timestamp='1323802317' post='1467320']I think they were made in the same factory as early Westones, so a really solid build.[/quote]
Westone instruments were built by Matsumoku. Certain models in Aria's CSB range were built by Matsumoku, but not all. The CSB range was a bit cheap and cheerful, many of the instruments using laminates in the bodies, or a number of pieces of lesser solid timbers glued together. The pickups and circuits also used less expensive components than found in the likes of the SB and TSB/RSB ranges. Compared to the PB design, the CSB is a less well executed take on the compact-body bass, and the neck-through PB, with its DiMarzio pickup, balances better and plays better.

The nut width, on the CSB, according to Aria's original technical specifications, is stated as being 43mm (not 42.5mm).

• 2 years later...

Can anybody help me? I am trying to reassemble an Aria Pro Cardinal bass. CBS-380 model. But there is a component missing. I am not sure if is the volume or tone pot I need to replace. If anyone has one of these basses, a photo of the wiring would help me greatly in getting my instrument back in a working condition. Thanks

An old thread to resurrect, but I have 3 of these basses. Brilliant basses for the money, not too heavy and really good neck. Especially good for pick playing as the string spacing at the bridge is not as wide as Fender basses. I do think 3 is maybe too many now I don't gig. If anyone fancies on let me know... I could be persuaded to part with one!