Why become a member? ×

What would you teach your kid on?

Bassmonkey

My 9 year old is keen to learn the black art of bass playing. Trouble is he is a shrimp so my Ricky, P Bass and Stingray are too big, he cant reach the bottom of the neck. I have a shortscale Epiphone Rivoli which fits better but the semi body is too big again. I guess my dilema is, do I buy a cheap 3/4 scale new bass (which will likely have a cr@p action and playability) or buy something like a Musicmaster which is short and should have decent playability? Typically, none about right now except at too much money. OR is there another cunning plan someone can shere with me? Waddya think? what would YOU do? Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='164775' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:48 PM']My 9 year old is keen to learn the black art of bass playing. Trouble is he is a shrimp so my Ricky, P Bass and Stingray are too big, he cant reach the bottom of the neck. I have a shortscale Epiphone Rivoli which fits better but the semi body is too big again. I guess my dilema is, do I buy a cheap 3/4 scale new bass (which will likely have a cr@p action and playability) or buy something like a Musicmaster which is short and should have decent playability? Typically, none about right now except at too much money. OR is there another cunning plan someone can shere with me? Waddya think? what would YOU do? Andy[/quote]
Tanglewood Mini-Elf. That's what I did, until mine was old enough to go onto a 30" scale.

At that age it's not just the scale length ... it's also the weight, the string spacing, and the finger strength needed to fret strings under tension. Been through all that recently with my own boy (he's now 12).

My solution was obvious, given that I collect Hofners.

Buy your son a Hofner 500/1 CT (the "Contemporary" version of the violin bass, made in China under Hofner's supervision). List is about £350 but you can find them for less.

Small body, short scale but still a "real" bass, narrow neck, weighs half what a P or J would, low tension on the strings. All boxes ticked.

And you'll find it's a fun bass for you to play occasionally, too.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='164775' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:48 PM']do I buy a cheap 3/4 scale new bass (which will likely have a cr@p action and playability)[/quote]

Wait for a good value bass suggestion.

Watch out for nut width! (he may not notice that's the problem)

Re-title the thread/subtitle to include short-scale.

+1 vote for a CIJ Mustang. I got a good-as-new secondhand one for £300. Apart from 30" scale (JF 324 strings fit :huh: ) Its nice & light and the nut is definitely narrower than the 70s mustangs I tried (overpriced / knackered ones in Denmark street).

I have a danelectro longhorn which is nice & light, bt the body is quite large.

I have a nice squier musicmaster I've been thinking about selling, however its pink :)

If I was buying for a nine-year-old though, and the budget was limited, I'd look out for one of these:

[quote name='ste_m3' post='164799' date='Mar 27 2008, 09:11 PM']Theres a short scale gretsch AND roland combo amp on the forums going for a silly low price. Id happily raise my nearest and dearest on one of those![/quote]

thanks mate - appreciate the plug. Can't believe I missed this thread. Looks like Andy and I will be doing the deal next week. If we had more room and my daughters were remotely interested in playing I would gladly keep it. I'm sure his young'un will be a very happy bunny :)

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='165588' date='Mar 28 2008, 09:42 PM']thanks mate - appreciate the plug. Can't believe I missed this thread. Looks like Andy and I will be doing the deal next week. If we had more room and my daughters were remotely interested in playing I would gladly keep it. I'm sure his young'un will be a very happy bunny :)[/quote]
Yep, thanks all, great advice. looking forward to getting the little Gretsch and Roland combo now. Shame Nick and I live 200 miles apart !!
Thanks again
Andy

[quote name='Bassmonkey' post='164775' date='Mar 27 2008, 08:48 PM']My 9 year old is keen to learn the black art of bass playing. Trouble is he is a shrimp so my Ricky, P Bass and Stingray are too big, he cant reach the bottom of the neck. I have a shortscale Epiphone Rivoli which fits better but the semi body is too big again. I guess my dilema is, do I buy a cheap 3/4 scale new bass (which will likely have a cr@p action and playability) or buy something like a Musicmaster which is short and should have decent playability? Typically, none about right now except at too much money. OR is there another cunning plan someone can shere with me? Waddya think? what would YOU do? Andy[/quote]

I'd look at the Squier Bronco. A nine year old should have no trouble with one, and they're surprisingly good for not much money. I speak from experience as my son (who's now grown into Precisions!) learnt on one.