Why become a member? ×

Flatwound strings

Silvia Bluejay

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this thread because I need more help!

I have bought two sets of flatwound strings for my two 5-stringers - the Thomastik and the D'Addario, those identified by the codes helpfully provided by you guys.

I installed the D'Addario on the fretless and hit a problem at the very beginning: the B string (.132) only just fitted in the corresponding hole in the bridge on my Corvette, and had to be stripped of the silk covering and filed a little at the bottom end, where it was a little bulkier. The E string was OK but still needed to be rid of most of the silk, while the other strings were all right.

Once the work on the fretless was finished, I thought I would double-check the gauge of the Thomastik B string before even touching the second bass, let alone cutting off the old roundwounds - good idea. The gauge of the B is .136, which I now know will not even begin to fit into the hole in the bridge. (I haven't tried, but I assume that all pre-2010 all-in-one Warwick bridges are identical, so if that on the fretless only just managed the .132...)

So... anybody know how I could get hold of a flatwound single B string that's no heavier than .130?

Thank you all again and sorry for being hopeless!

Edited by bluejay

Quite apart from requiring removal of the bridge from the body and too much hassle, I'm not sure what such a procedure would do to the chrome or black finish of the bridge(s). I guess I can try again with a Daddario .132, a small file (to be used on the string, not the bore) and some more patience. I'll need to find a single flatwound Daddario B to start with.

[quote name='Andyjr1515' timestamp='1327445151' post='1511499']
+1 for D'Addario Chromes - feel like flatwounds, sound like round wounds. Great, great strings
[/quote]

Indeed! I decided to try these earlier last year, the first flats I'd ever tried. They're brilliant. As and when I get around to changing the strings on my other Basses they will all get these strings. They've been a total revelation.

Late to the party as ever, but just in case it may be of use in the future.
I've had flats (medium tension) and rounds from Status, great strings, great prices, fantastic service. I ordered online again Monday morning and got them yesterday morning :o .
Go to website, click on online store, strings, then follow your heart's desire.
Karl.

[url="http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html"]http://www.status-graphite.com/status/frames/index_home.html[/url]

FWIW, I've just bought a set of 4-string Lakland Joe Osborne flats direct from Lakland, for just over £20 posted. They arrived within 5 days.

They're re-branded GHS strings, apparently very similar to their Precision flats. They seem very nice, too.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1327490365' post='1512060']
FWIW, I've just bought a set of 4-string Lakland Joe Osborne flats direct from Lakland, for just over £20 posted. They arrived within 5 days.

They're re-branded DR strings, apparently very similar to their Precision flats. They seem very nice, too.
[/quote]
I thought I'd been reading they were GHS strings?

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1327490517' post='1512064']
Thanks guys - I will hopefully find that elusive B and also, I'm sure, something else I'm not looking for just yet but which I'll decide I MUST have as soon as I see it/them :D :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Half wound 5 string sets from Status :lol: .
Bugger, I better get some work done.