Why become a member? ×

Another "Do any of you also play..." thread - turntables!

thisnameistaken

And another thing that I don't do myself but would like to:

Do any of you do turntable scratching?

I never had a pair of turntables, so I'd visit my friends who did and take soul records with me so I could practice scratching. I was never amazing at it but I loved the sounds I did manage to make.

Anybody here any good at it? It's the one thing other than playing drums (and piano) that I really wish I'd learned to do.

Never tried it, but *really* got my wrist slapped by Jeff Klopmeyer over on the 'Bandwidth' forum at Musicplayer.com when he referred to such a player as a 'musician' & I asked how he figured that?

I mean, where does that leave my son, having done 5 years at music college & come out with an LRAM & later a BMus? I suppose he'd better just saved all my cash & got a couple of turntables, then?

Very useful in its place, though - I'm not knocking the skill.

G.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1322553713' post='1452368']
some of the turntablists I have worked with in my time both as a DJ and within bands would definitely be considered musicians IMO. Truly creative.
[/quote]

That's fine, as I said, I'm not knocking the skill, but musician? If I put a Mahler Symphony staff in front of them, could they sightread it first time? My son can - along with the other 20-odd musicians in that orchestra.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1322553713' post='1452368']
some of the turntablists I have worked with in my time both as a DJ and within bands would definitely be considered musicians IMO. Truly creative.
[/quote]

^ I couldn't agree more.

Turntablism often gets snubbed as being "not proper music", but it's always by people who confuse scratch DJs with turntablists (Google it). I've seen certain DJs create entirely new tracks by snatching a kick from here, a snare from there, or by 'playing' their own basslines and melodies using vinyl. Truly amazing stuff that takes years of solid practice to master... arguably far longer than it takes to gain a workable or gig-ready understanding of playing bass/guitar, in my opinion.

Can I do it myself? I wish :) I used to DJ and have a pair of decks gathering dust in the spare room at home...

Are they musicians? Depends on how you define 'musician'. If it means being able to sight read and play Mahler then no, they're not musicians. But by that same definition neither are most rock bands. If you define musician in terms of being able to play an instrument then I'd say yes. It just happens that the instrument is an unconventional one - but nonetheless it makes noises that people like to party to.

If you want to hear the real deal, try YouTubing the likes of DJ Q-Bert, Prime Cuts the Invisibl Skratch Piklz, the Beat Junkies and more locally, Peter Parker/Fingathing.

We have a turntablist in one of the bands I play drums in. He only uses one deck (I guess 'cos he's scratching to a band, not another record). He'll generally find a record where he likes one or two samples for a particular song, and then drop those samples in from time to time, adding rhythmic scratching when appropriate. He's seriously good and I would never think he's not a musician!!!

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1322566488' post='1452617']
We have a turntablist in one of the bands I play drums in. He only uses one deck (I guess 'cos he's scratching to a band, not another record). He'll generally find a record where he likes one or two samples for a particular song, and then drop those samples in from time to time, adding rhythmic scratching when appropriate. He's seriously good and I would never think he's not a musician!!!
[/quote]

I'm trying to put a band together at the moment (missing a drummer, same old story) and have been trying to find a DJ to bring in, no luck yet.

I suppose defining 'musician' is quite hard but I wouldn't class myself as one despite 20 years of playing bass. I can think of a lot of DJs who are way more creative than I am. :)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1322560673' post='1452495']
If I put a Mahler Symphony staff in front of them, could they sightread it first time?
[/quote]

To be honest Geoff, there would be plenty on Basschat or any other " Musicians" forum who would make a quick exit,
When they came face to face with that.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1322569934' post='1452715']
To be honest Geoff, there would be plenty on Basschat or any other " Musicians" forum who would make a quick exit,
When they came face to face with that.

Garry
[/quote]

To be honest, so would I, but I'm trying to make a point about 5 years' study. I accept some of these blokes are exceptionally good at what they do.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1322560673' post='1452495']
That's fine, as I said, I'm not knocking the skill, but musician? If I put a Mahler Symphony staff in front of them, could they sightread it first time? My son can - along with the other 20-odd musicians in that orchestra.

[/quote]

That's a great skill, but how does it make anyone that can't do it not a musician?

Pretty certain Jimi Hendrix couldn't sight-read Mahler. Conversely, how many of the 20-odd musicians in that orchestra could re-define the boundaries of what their instrument can do?

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1322568667' post='1452687']
I'm trying to put a band together at the moment (missing a drummer, same old story) and have been trying to find a DJ to bring in, no luck yet.
[/quote]

Ahh well, good luck. Playing with a good DJ is loads of fun.

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1322575450' post='1452874']
I can not sight read, doesn't make me not a musician.
[/quote]

I've always thought the exact opposite - I'm not a musician because I have no real understanding of music theory & cannot read music.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1322525064' post='1452277']
I mean, where does that leave my son, having done 5 years at music college & come out with an LRAM & later a BMus? I suppose he'd better just saved all my cash & got a couple of turntables, then?
[/quote]

Depends if he'd then practiced them through his childhood, got up to a decent standard and then spent 5 years REALLY practicing, like you do at music college! He'd be pretty good then I reckon, probably make a very tidy living (not that I've noticed orchestral musicians doing badly, quite the opposite in fact). Lots of late nights though...

I can't read music but i'm deffinitely a musician. I can write and play music on musical instruments. If that doesn't make you a musician... What about someone who can read music but not play - surely no-one's going to call them a musician?

Our DJ contributes to the writing of the music in a very positive way. He brings something to the band, and we wouldn't sound as good without him. Like a lead guitarist who knows his place, he might only be playing for 20% of each song, but you really miss it when he's not there. I'd say that makes him a musician.

Edited by cheddatom

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1322646440' post='1453797']
What about someone who can read music but not play - surely no-one's going to call them a musician?
[/quote]

If they can read & write music & have a thorough knowledge of theory then I'd most certainly regard them as a musician, more so than somebody that plays in a band but doesn't have these skills.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322660388' post='1454052']
If they can read & write music & have a thorough knowledge of theory then I'd most certainly regard them as a musician, more so than somebody that plays in a band but doesn't have these skills.
[/quote]

But there's a different word: Composer.

IMO anyone who plays a musical instrument is a musician.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1322661227' post='1454074']
"Composer" could also & equally apply to somebody that makes up songs or but doesn't read or write music.
[/quote]

Indeed. We have a word which could be used to describe people who can write music but not play it. Why call them musicians?

It's just language, it doesn't bother me, I guess I joined in because it sounds like a few posters wouldn't consider the DJ in my band a musician, and he really is - he plays his turntable like a musical instrument, and with a lot of skill, and that seems to fit the most common definitions of the word.