Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348699318' post='1817244']

1. No, probably the most transparent multi effects unit there is! If it wasn't I would not have even considered getting it.
2. You have to hold one of the footswitches down for a few seconds to go into 'patch mode', then you hit a footswitch to cycle through the patches. It's a bit of a ball ache if you want to turn individual effects on and off within the patches, but if not just keep it in patch mode! :)
3. I'm not much of a synth/filter user, but I found they sounded pretty decent and tracked pretty well even for me not being used to them.
4. I use mine with a few analog pedals. Works fine, but if you have them sharing an un-isolated power supply you do get a strange high pitched electronic noise constantly. For now, I use the ZNR (gate) to deal with the problem when I'm not playing... It's not noticeable on a gig but I will be getting an isolated thingy eventually for it.

Hope that helps! All in all you couldn't get a better unit for the price... I went from this:

And am very happy. I call it an upgrade! :)
[/quote]

Thanks for that, very useful info! I'm not much of a synth/filter user, but I'm anticipating I may have to use a little for an upcoming project. How does it perform as a DI box for recording?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1348702776' post='1817269']
Thanks for that, very useful info! I'm not much of a synth/filter user, but I'm anticipating I may have to use a little for an upcoming project. How does it perform as a DI box for recording?
[/quote]

I haven't recorded with it yet, but I've tested the DI straight into a PA and its a good quality sound, especially using one of the many amp sims!

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1348702776' post='1817269']
[/quote]
When I first got mine a few months ago, I made a very rushed attempt to record something on an ancient 8 track just to see how it came out (see soundcloud link). I've meant to do it again better - with eq suggestions from the guys here - but not go around to it yet due to band projects. But based on that, I think it would take some trial and error to prepare it for a "proper" recording situation - its so versitile that you'd want to spend some quality time with it selecting patches and fiddling with the parameters and blends. I just haven't had the time to get the most out of it yet.

I haven't had chance to use my B3 for a few weeks.
Earlier I had a few minutes free so, after a day of listening to Rollins Band yesterday, I set out to get an Andrew Weiss distorted tone. Within 3 mins I got damned close, need to tweak it when playing through an amp.

Lets try again:
[url="http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29216/AWeiss.b3p"]Andrew Weiss patch[/url] <---- Right click and Save As...

Edited by bartelby

• 2 weeks later...

In this video, (About 0:40) Vix says you can "Blend up to 6 at a time", does that mean this update may actually be coming? Or am I misunderstanding him? :P

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b26eRD2yS4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b26eRD2yS4[/url]

Edited by Thatguy59

[quote name='Thatguy59' timestamp='1350417052' post='1838643']
In this video, (About 0:40) Vix says you can "Blend up to 6 at a time", does that mean this update may actually be coming? Or am I misunderstanding him? :P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b26eRD2yS4[/media]
[/quote]

Thanks for posting this! Excited :D

[quote name='Thatguy59' timestamp='1350518529' post='1840113']
Good news, they just confirmed it in the comments ;)

But I can't find it anywhere :( On the G3, it was under the "Software" tab, but there's just the asio drivers and the edit and share software :(
[/quote]

...I've just had a look too and the update is not on their website :(

[quote name='Thatguy59' timestamp='1350584473' post='1840942']
Quite worried now that they've pulled down the original video, and uploaded a new one with the bit saying 6 at a time cut :S
[/quote]

I've just seen the new edited video, I guess that's not good news then :angry: ...On Samsontech's website they still have the original though.

Well I guess the software update is only available to Victor then at the moment. Its quite normal for manufacturers to give their endorsees the benefit of upgrades etc. before they are out. I used to have a Korg pedalboard for guitar that The Edge had used extensively for one of the U2 albums. I got the board the week it came out and all the presets sounded just like the new U2 album!

So it may be coming, but in development still...

Has anyone else been able to clip the input of the B3? My Shuker basses have a good strong output level and if I boost my bass EQ I can get an ugly clip noise when slapping for example. There's no global input gain control it seems!

[Quote]Has anyone else been able to clip the input of the B3? My Shuker basses have a good strong output level and if I boost my bass EQ I can get an ugly clip noise when slapping for example. There's no global input gain control it seems! [/Quote]

I haven't got my B3 here at work to have a look, but isn't there a gain/volume control in the "Total" menu somewhere?

Probably a silly question, but have you checked to see if the passive/active switch isn't on active?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Greg

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1350668796' post='1842145']
Has anyone else been able to clip the input of the B3? My Shuker basses have a good strong output level and if I boost my bass EQ I can get an ugly clip noise when slapping for example. There's no global input gain control it seems!
[/quote]

I haven't managed to clip the input on mine and I have a 18v EMG preamp in my Jazz, going into a hard driven Compressore (gain and output vol both at about 3 o'clock), going into the Zoom, so its pretty hot by the time it gets there, but then I don't slap (I find a punch more effective). I will say though the response of some of the effects patches very much depends upon the input strength of the signal going in - the synths, for example, track better and sound fuller with a really loud signal.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Yup, I've got it set to Active - I'll go have a look, I may have missed a gain setting as I haven't had the board out since last week, being busy elsewhere. I too have an 18V EMG system and I am running a few pedals before the B3 as well. Maybe there's some extra boost happening through those too. I'll investigate further and get back to you guys! Definitely clipping on slap passages though and I am sure it is neither the head, bass or pedals separately. - I have to say though, it won't clip with any of my other basses. I know that EMG circuits can be pretty hot!

Guys,

If you're interested in sharing B3 patches (ie. uploading your own and downloading others to try out through "Zoom Edit and Share") then visit this Google Docs folder.....

[url="https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7b88q8uy5hYekRCUjV6R0J3SEU/edit?pli=1"]https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B7b88q8uy5hYekRCUjV6R0J3SEU/edit?pli=1[/url]

Download them into a folder on your computer then simply drag them into Edit and Share. They'll be loaded automatically into your B3.
You will need a Google log-in to access it.

It would be great to be able to create a library of B3 patches for everyone to share.

Greg

There is a great thread over on TalkBass sharing patch ideas:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/zoom-b3-patch-ideas-918990/

Might be good for us to start something similar on here.
It would be great to get some actual settings listed.
Cheers
Thebassman

Edited by thebassman