Why become a member? ×

New Zoom B3

dannybuoy

I have just put my B3 straight into one of the superlight Crown XLS1500 power amps. Balanced out into the Crown.

Very, very impressed - the amp models have really come to life. This is an extremely versatile, lightweight and powerful (and cheap) gigging rig. Going to use it live on the BH weekend.

Finally got mine! I need to tweak a lot more, I'm a huge fan of fuzzes and distorted sounds and i think they don't come easy. Also I have the M13 so i miss some things on the B3, also found some very useful. Like it to put on a 15" laptop carrybag with my Markbass and have my amp and fx ready to go!!!

I jut find a thing that doesn't like, if you want to hold for patch, tuner or looper the B3 switches on or off the stomp didn't find a way to fix it.

[quote name='elhambre' timestamp='1338112237' post='1669653']
Finally got mine! I need to tweak a lot more, I'm a huge fan of fuzzes and distorted sounds and i think they don't come easy. Also I have the M13 so i miss some things on the B3, also found some very useful. Like it to put on a 15" laptop carrybag with my Markbass and have my amp and fx ready to go!!!

I jut find a thing that doesn't like, if you want to hold for patch, tuner or looper the B3 switches on or off the stomp didn't find a way to fix it.
[/quote]

I guess that's a compromise, so the effect on/off is instant, and the unit does not wait to see if it's a long press before turning on/off the effect. If it was the other way, the effect would not turn off when going into e.g. patch select mode, but then there would be a slightly longer delay when turning fx on/off - i.e. it would turn off when the foot comes off the switch instead of when it goes on. Probably better the way Zoom did it, just an unfortunate compromise! :rolleyes:

[quote name='OmeDunk' timestamp='1338531598' post='1675806']
Ordered a B3 last week.
But cancelled it when it became clear that delivery date shifted from 30th of May to 20th of june.

Sold my looper and big muff in the meantime...
[/quote]

Where did you order it from? www.effectpowersupplies.com say they're in stock and offer free delivery :)

Thx!

Ordered from Thomann. Great service and communication. Their supplier shifted the delivery date.

But since the cancellation I am considering a VT deluxe tech21 for my desired 3 stages of gain. Or settle for 2 stages and get me a BDI21 or Jackhammer.

And a seperate compressor.

Depending on what order you want your effects in, you may actually be cool with the compressors on the B3! They beat the (quite limited if i'm honest) array of units I've tried, except for the Aguilar! The sansamp model is OK but in an A/B test it's clearly not as good as the real thing or even the BDI21!

BDI + Jackhammer work well together, and would be loads cheaper than a VT Deluxe so I would be tempted to try that first :D Someone on BC was selling a jackhammer last time i looked actually!

• 1 month later...

Still love mine. Gone through a few different phases with it.
1) Recreated a smaller version of my pedal board (phaser, fuzz and mild overdrive) and only used the Zoom
2) Added EHX small stone and Bass Big Muff back on to board and used amp modelling on the Zoom
3) Bought an LS-2 had pedals on one loop and Zoom in the other.

which leads to now and tweaking a few patches I've set up, still using LS-2 so I can keep a reasonable dry signal going through the mix.

The only thing I'm not really liking is the tuner, seems to be a bit out compared to my Polytune, tuner in Amplitube and the tuner in Reason

Excellent, thank you for the reply! - I'm thinking of keeping my eyes open for a second hand one to use with a lil covers band - ya know, for the odd synthy sound or bit of dirt & chorus. Just wanted to know how peeps were getting on with it. What's battery life like?

I really like the chorus sounds on the B3, kick the pants off anything I've tried by EHX!
I dont use synth much but they track pretty well, as does the octaver :)
Drive models can sound good, but noticeably inferior to the pedals they're based on

For the price you pay, just the above is more than enough for your money! I also use the gate on it which is easily good enough. And the tuner has replaced my Korg pitchblack

Edited by chrismuzz

Here you go, some badly played bass through the 2 different pitch shifter 'pedals'
[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/pitchshift"]http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/pitchshift[/url]

from 0:18 - 2:00 is the monopitch pedal, this is the monophonic shift.
from 2:005 onwards is the PitchShift

The whole patch mix is 50% and then the effects ate blended 75% in.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1342212775' post='1731977']
Here you go, some badly played bass through the 2 different pitch shifter 'pedals'
[url="http://soundcloud.com/warm_leatherette/pitchshift"]http://soundcloud.co...ette/pitchshift[/url]

from 0:18 - 2:00 is the monopitch pedal, this is the monophonic shift.
from 2:005 onwards is the PitchShift

The whole patch mix is 50% and then the effects ate blended 75% in.
[/quote]

Good demo, very impressed with the tracking on the monopitch as well. It made me want to make 70's cop show music for some reason.

The monopitch is pretty impressive really. That was the first time I've used it. Copes with polyphonic playing better than the PitchShift effect.

There's also the PedalMonoPitch is the Whammy pedal. It's also pretty good.

If you want anything else recorded, just ask.

Edited by bartelby

Just noticed that there's already a version 2.0 upgrade to the guitar version of this pedal which allows you to use six effects together by allowing you to scroll the screen, rather than three as before. Anybody know if this will be available on the B3 anytime soon?

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342385119' post='1734194']
Just noticed that there's already a version 2.0 upgrade to the guitar version of this pedal which allows you to use six effects together by allowing you to scroll the screen, rather than three as before. Anybody know if this will be available on the B3 anytime soon?

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/"]http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting, how would you turn the additional pedals on and off?
Or can you only do it in pairs?

A B3X would be quite nice too

EDIT: Just read the G3 manual. Looks like you have to scroll across to the pedal to turn it on and off.
Will have to learn how to tap dance for this...

Edited by bartelby

[quote name='silentbob' timestamp='1342385119' post='1734194']

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/g3/
[/quote]

I've been wondering if they would add that feature, or wait until the 'B3X' to release it... Either way it's an upgrade I'm looking forward to using!

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' timestamp='1342455784' post='1735397']
Slightly off topic but has anyone seen the Zoom Multistomp series which made it's debut at NAMM? Looks like an M5 style version of the B3 but more compact.
[/quote]

Nope, got a link?

I'd like a B5 too, wonder if Zoom have one of those planned...