Why become a member? ×

want a gritty new head and dump my eden stuff

grimbeaver

I have used Eden exclusivley for years but recently changed to a Barefaced twin and I love it. I fancy a head with a bit more grit than my eden wt550 and wonder if I should get one of these orange 500s or even a 1000

What do you reckon? I do like the gucci little shuttles and stuff but they are a bit clean and nice for my taste, I play a hard aggressive fingerstyle all rock.

any opinions would be good

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1322226918' post='1448219']
is the 1000 overkill though? I didnt know if I shoud try the 500 or 1000
[/quote]

The super twelve is 4 ohms isn't it? So you'll get the full output of the amp head. Is there ever a time when 500 watts wouldn't give you enough power?! :) :)

The Eden is a nice warm amp and I have to use quite a lot of EQ to get a sound I like, I will try and define that sound.

Bright and clear sound with gritty bite to it, I like new strings for hard aggressive finger style, like a more modern sound than an overdriven 70s rock sound

I boost treble and upper mids while still trying to keep a decent bottom end to drive the songs

I can best describe my sound I want as a plectrum sound but played fingerstyle, if you get my drift

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1322226918' post='1448219']
is the 1000 overkill though? I didnt know if I shoud try the 500 or 1000
[/quote]

500 is more than plenty. I'm baffled to know where you'd need more volume to be honest.
If you go via the desk a lot the DI is a bit poo though.
I've bought a TC Classic which can more or less replicate the OTB tone and has an excellent DI. Not the huge gobs of volume the OTB does but still very loud.

The OTB 500 is plenty loud. I had one, and for gigs in 100/200 capacity venues, gain & volume on 2.5. In a punk covers band - Pistols, Clash, SLF etc.

Combined with a BF Super Twin I can`t see how it wouldn`t be powerful enough.

I`m in roughly the same position at present, but wanting a bit more flexibility on the eq-shaping than the OTB has, I`ve gone for the Gallien Krueger MB500. I`ll do a review once I`ve used it.

I got the orange terror and matching sp212 cab about 6months ago. I have used it at practice in a 5 piece rock/blues band and have plenty of headroom. I had it out gigging for the first time last week with a jam band which ranges from 3-5 folk at any time and I think I had the volume at 12oclock and the gain at 9oclock and it was plenty loud and just enough 'grit' for what I needed for the job, however if I dialed in more gain and turned the volume down it would have been even more awesome....I was a wee bit disappointed I couldnt use it in anger hahaha.

I swapped the valves as recommended and I have to say the sound is warm and lovely. I was using someones terrible squier jazz but thankfully the rig sorted out a lovely sound regardless.

I am one of these tools who swaps his gear every time it gets a spec of dust on it. Thankfully 6months on I still love this sound and of course the portability and weight :)

[quote name='grimbeaver' timestamp='1322237553' post='1448465']
never tried one tbh I was always under the impression GK was more in the smooth clear and crisp tone bracket
[/quote]
Not at all. Totally in your face and aggressive if you want it to be and they both have Boost "channels" for grit.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1322244515' post='1448616']
Not at all. Totally in your face and aggressive if you want it to be and they both have Boost "channels" for grit.
[/quote]

I agree. I played through an rb1001 a couple of times and it had plenty of grit. Sounded great.

hmmmm GK or Orange, I have GAS so bad I will get one of them, dont want Ampeg s they are big heavy lumps, GK or Orange hmmmmm.

I like the simplicity of the Orange but it looks 1 dimensional and if you dont like it's tone you are fooked, the GK looks far more flexible but I suspect it is going to be similar to the Eden I already have.

hmmmmmm GK or Orange

I have both - an OTB 500 and a GK MB500. Very different beasts obviously, but it's horses for courses.

The OTB is a one-trick pony, but it does that trick really very well indeed. If you like the tone it produces, and especially if you're not pedal-happy, then it's an extremely competent, simple, one-amp solution.

If you need more flexibility, or if you play in more than one band (of different types) then the MB500 is more likely to tick the boxes.