Why become a member? ×

Single cab solution.

dirtystatic

Because of the limited number of music shops around here it's difficult to try out any cabs that aren't Laney or Ashdown. Would love to hear your opinions on the following cabs: Goliath III 4x10, Ampeg SVT410HLF and EBS Proline 4x10. I'm after a single 4ohm, 4x10 to run my GK head through (tempted to swap this for a Genz Benz).

Size and weight aren't an issue, I'd just like to hear about their reliability, performance and suited music style.

Thanks in advance!

Most familiar with the Goliath.

I thought the mk ll was a classic rear ported cab..Huuuuge lows and and the ability to cut through loud bands.
Not sure how the mk lll is different but I'd think it is front ported. I also prefer rear by choice but that is just me.

At their time, the Goliath was as good a cab as any, IMO..but have probably lost a lot of ground..as has most SWR gear
since they went corporate.
Ampeg ST410HLF...a big cumbersome beast and not a patch on the SWR. Quite basic.

Don't know EBS close up.

If the gig was a funk type thing..EBS and SWR would be at the front out of the cabs you have listed.

Ampeg will look good in a rock band...can't think of much else to say about it, tbh.

If size and weight aren't an issue... give the Goliath Snr 610 a look.
You could be able to pick up a SH one for around £300-350..and that would be a thunderous cab, IMO.

Casters and wheels help out here for cabs this size, IIRC, the Ampeg and the SWR Goli 610 have them.

[size=4][font="Arial"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][font="Arial"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial] My choice for a 410 would be the 2 Bergantino AE210's that are (hope they still are) in the FS section. [/font][/color][/color][/font][/font][/color][/color][/font][/size]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4][font="Arial"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/font][/size][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4][font="Arial"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial]If size and weight is really not an issue then there’s a Bergantino NV610 here as well. That would kill any 410.[/font][/color][/color][/font][/size][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4][font="Arial"][color="black"][color=black][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/color][/font][/size][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="black"][color=black][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#222222"][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4][font="Arial"][color="black"][color=black][font=Arial]Then again I would also expect a Barefaced Super Twelve to outperform the 410’s you mentioned.[/font][/color][/color][/font][/size][size=4][font="Arial"][color="#000000"][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/font][/size][font="Arial"][size="2"][color="#000000"][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/size][/font][/color][/color][/size][/font]

+1. I have the Goliath II. Thunderous lows for a 4x10. I used to run a 1x15 alongside, these days I don't bother. Really solid Cabinet (mine has been chucked around for decades and its still going strong). And the overall sound is really good for cutting through a loud band.

The Goliath II cabinet was designed by David Eden. I have heard that since Fender bought SWR the accountants have moved into the design studio and they are not so great now. You may be able to find a S/H Goliath II but take a good look at the speaker cones for creases. I had to replace mine after i lent it to somebody less careful than me and the original PAS drivers are discontinued. The replacement speakers from SWR themselves are not the same (they are for the [Fender] Goliath III onwards). I had to get some Eminence ones matched to the cab volume in the end - Eminence were really helpful with this though.

I once had an Ampeg - vastly over-rated IMO - don't get me wrong their amps are amazing, their cabs are nothing special and very expensive for what you get these days.

EBS are pretty dear too. I have tried a couple of EBS cabs. They're a great, clean, punchy sound but the 10"s lack balls in my opinion. Lovely clear mids, crisp highs, but there no bottom end. If you're playing Jazz/Funk then these are your best bet for punch. If you want some bottom end in there go for the S/H SWR - or have a look at some Eden cabs (essentially what SWR once were if you ask me!)

P.S. I'm actually thinking of trading my SWR in the new year for something a bit smaller and quieter, as these days I don't do such big gigs and it is a lump to haul around. But you can probably find one in better cosmetic condition than mine :)

Barefaced Big One (15" + 6"; weighing 40-odd pounds) would also fit the bill, I would suggest. I happen to have one I want to move on (albeit one BC'er has first dibs and I am waiting on confirmation from him)

Here's a pic of mine (grill a bit scratched up but could be replaced fo £25)
[attachment=93836:Big One.jpg]

If size/weight is not a problem, and you want to buy something new, you can't beat the Ampeg B-410HLF. Unbelievable sound, specially for the price (DV has them for £449). I did a month long season using one last year and was extremely pleased. I was told it was going to be an SVT610, so when I got there and saw the B series 410 I must say I wasn't so happy. But that feeling disappeared when I hit the first note. Very deep and well rounded lows, nice Ampeg mid growl and all the sizzle in the world with the adjustable tweeter (I don't like it, but if you want it is there). They only come in 4 ohms.

There's also an Aguilar GS410 for sale here on basschat. It's 8 ohms, but these are loud cabinets. I have the 2x10 version and can only imagine the damage the 4x10 can do... You won't be disappointed with this bad boy.

Cheers for all the replies. From what's been said I'm assuming that Goliath II > Goliath III?

I'm surprised at the comments about the Ampeg. On paper the SVT-410HLF looks great and has some fantastic looking specs, looks like the ultimate one cab solution.

I've had Ashdown rigs, Laney rigs, TE rigs, GK rigs and most recently a TC Electronic rig. I always seem to have the same gripe. The mids and highs are well defined and sound fantastic (GK rig especially), but the lows are either non-present or so unruly and unfocused that I have to EQ them out. Always makes me a little bit sad :).

I am pondering over a nice Barefaced rig though. Compact and a Midget with a Genz Benz head. Hmmmmm...

We still talking one cab solution here..??

I can say the 10's of a Goliath are quite mid punchy but the mk11 is massive with very little boom.
Bang for buck at £350 in the FS pages for a SWR610 with PAS 10"'s... pretty unbeatable IMO if in good nick.

I run mini 12 and 10 inch rigs but another 610 is on the wish list....no doubt about it.

[url="http://www.epifani.com/products/UL2_410.php"]http://www.epifani.com/products/UL2_410.php[/url]

If you want serious lows and still retain a good clean sound in a 4x10 (i would prefer a 2x12" solution due to the phase problems with 410 design) this is the one i would go for! I've heard the 210 and it has some heavy low end going there so i would imagine that the 410 will have even more!

[quote name='dirtystatic' timestamp='1322225271' post='1448175']
I'm surprised at the comments about the Ampeg. On paper the SVT-410HLF looks great and has some fantastic looking specs, looks like the ultimate one cab solution.
[/quote]
Very good for bottom end, but the upper mid is missing. Not necessarily a problem if you don't like to dial in upper mids. :)

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1322232617' post='1448354']
[url="http://www.epifani.com/products/UL2_410.php"]http://www.epifani.c...cts/UL2_410.php[/url]

If you want serious lows and still retain a good clean sound in a 4x10 (i would prefer a 2x12" solution due to the phase problems with 410 design) this is the one i would go for! I've heard the 210 and it has some heavy low end going there so i would imagine that the 410 will have even more!
[/quote]
Thanks for the comment. The 2x10 has most of the bass of the 4x10, but not quite the clarity or punch. Strange, but true!