Why become a member? ×

P Bass copy project.

Jobiebass

[quote name='jono b' post='193890' date='May 7 2008, 02:35 PM']If you think £18 is too much, I suggest you buy the pickguard blank and try making it yourself, then see if you think £18 is too much.[/quote]

lol, Ill make a total mess of it im sure, I failed Tech in 2000 (handed 2 pieces of wood in as my "project" lol), so im sure 8 years on I wont be any better.

I really had no idea how much they were I just expected them to be all mass produced and wouldnt cost as much as they do. I guess im wrong.

If you really begrudge paying £18, you could try [url="http://www.highlystrung.co.uk/acatalog/Pickguards__electric_guitar.html"]Highly Strung[/url]. About half way down they have Precision scratchplates starting at £11. They're made by Venom, and look a bit cheap close up, especially the packaging, but they're alright. I think they're made to fit MIM Fenders, I got one for my Jazz and I know others on here have too and the screw holes line up but there's a fair old gap between the scratchplate and the control plate on mine.

hummmm....

well I want one that fits more then anything, the control cavity seams to be pretty wide, the old scratchplate barely covers it. ill take the body into a guitar shop in the weekend and see if I can get one to match up. I need to pop in to see about some pots anyways, not sure if I need to buy it all seperate or I can just buy it all together already soldered.

No problem. I bought a wiring kit for a Strat from them but I think that was to ambitious for my first attempt at wiring, so I decided to try again with an H/H/3 way switch config. to see if it's any easier. Single conductor wire humbuckers are the way forward!

Edited by jono b

• 2 weeks later...

Well, got up this morning, went for my first Bass lesson, turns out i have "a great technique" which supprised me. anyways I digress, I got home at 11, pollished the body, put the tuners on, put the bridge on, got to 12 midday, Did half the wiring and thought.. hold up.. if this diagram right? went on fender site.. turns out it wasnt right so started again and did it like the fender site said. this took till 9pm... yes 9 hours lol. put the pups on, wired them up, put it all together and... suprizingly IT WORKS!!!!!!

even with my dodgy soldering skills it sounds fantastic. Im really suprised actually, I expected it to sound terrible cause I know nothing about putting a bass together. The tone is fantastic, goes from a bright clean sound, to a Wahhhh sound (which I only thought you got with an effects pedal) to a deep metalica type of deep slight destortion. Its emense. Oh yeah, after the strings were on I though.. lets see how far out it is, the action is perfect stright off the bat. the A string at the 12th fret is a little out but the saddle just needs moving 1-2mm. Spot on.

I really expected this bass just to look pretty and to sound terrible, but im so pleased with the sound. Probably more then how it looks.

Oh yeah, went to the bass shop this morning for my lesson and picked up a few parts, turns out my scratchplate is totaly diff size to a fender one and a cheep copy one. looks like im gonna have to spray this one.. which doesnt sound fun as its "formica" (I dont know how to spell it) and thats hard to spray supposedly as it peels off.

Just got the scratchplate to do and I forgot to put the string tree round thing on. but apart from that... ITS DONE!!!

Excuse my stupidity... That scratchplate looks like it fits, where does the problem lie?

Also, I do hope you have some knobs for it?

Other than that, it is looking nice :) I was dubious about the paint, but it looks pretty groovy ^_^ Nice one!

got the badass off Basschat, forgot who... Burpster!! (pretty sure)

I took a few pics without the knobs and strap things off, but if you look down the last few pics have them on.

the scratchplate is the original that came with the bass, its not a very nice colour, some kind of cream, I want a black one really...

Gold you say??? Would gold work??? problem with that is id have to change the bridge and knobs for gold ones and I just got them lol.

The white/cream looks of for now till I can figure out how to paint it, Been told if I rough it up with some 320 grit or something, it should be ok to paint. But the current scratchplate is growing on me.

Oh and Finbar.... it looks 10 times better in real life. got a few bits that could be better on the paint, few tiny dots in it and at somepoint its had a knock neer the pups and slightly indented, but you can only see it at a weird angle. Ill be in sheffield next weekend if you wanna take a look at it. Wouldnt mind checking out your Shucker build when you get that too! monday isnt it?

Not sure exactly when I'm picking it up. Jon said he hopes to have it finished this weekend, but I'm just waiting for the word from him really. Could be anyday!

Not sure what I'm doing next Weekend, but I do think I'll be away Sunday, and probably checking out Steff's new studio on the Saturday afternoon. I'm sure I can fit something in :)

BTW, even if you rough up the plate and paint it, the paint will probably wear off... The white plate doesn't look too bad as it is IMO. I think i'd stay away from gold myself.

[url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=O49MnBDFHU0"]Sound clip[/url]

If you wanted to hear how it sounds, Im rather supprised how good it sounds as the electronics are done my me and the pups are only MIM.

Oh and sorry for my bass playing, im not quite used to not having lines.

Edited by Jobiebass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='201346' date='May 18 2008, 01:15 AM']Gold you say??? Would gold work??? problem with that is id have to change the bridge and knobs for gold ones and I just got them lol.[/quote]

you wouldnt have to change the hardware. if you look at the fenders with gold pickguards (mexican active p bass and 59 reissue i think) they all have chrome hardware, i think that looks great. i'd say it'd look better than with gold hardware, but thats just my opinion and imagination.

[quote name='neepheid' post='201430' date='May 18 2008, 11:23 AM']Looks great man, and I wouldn't grouse too much about the pickguard - personally I think white suits most dark colours. It's sharp and it's smart, like a dark suit and a white shirt :)[/quote]

I think it looks OK how it is, with the white. I agree that black'd look better, but i wouldn't fret too much.

thank you all for your kind words.

Im really pleased with it, Think im going to leave it be now, just the string tree to fit and its done. Oh could do with setting up a little better but ill get round to that.

I got STOO's Olp 'ray on friday and I havent played it for more then 30mins cause im so happy with the P.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='201606' date='May 18 2008, 04:59 PM']J,

looking at it now its back together,

if it were mine, I'd put black screws in the PG and black V+T knobs with a blk nut on teh jack and leave that white PG....

It looks pretty.....!

Overall ...... Very well done on your 1st build.![/quote]
good suggestions here and won't put you out too much. diggin' the white/cream PG too. good job!