Why become a member? ×

P Bass copy project.

Jobiebass

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='180681' date='Apr 19 2008, 07:55 PM']bahh, I got the cab and its awesome, but I was too late to pickup the neck. AUGHH[/quote]

Hard luck, that's sh*t! Collection depots have a habit of closing early on a Saturday because, er, electricity cos double on a Saturday, and if they don't lock the doors early they wont lock at all. Or something. Quite often I've got to pick up stuff on a Saturday and the place just hasn't been open at all. Lazy bastards. Anyway, make sure when you leave the seller feedback that you mark the communication rating 0 stars.

My neck has turned up, my pups turned up, its alllll gooood.

1 slight problem, the neck is about 3 mm longer. hoping its not going to make too much of a diffrence.
Not sure if I want to sort the neck and action out myself, or weather to take ti in a shop and get them to fit it.

How hard is it to fit myself? ive offered the neck up to the neck pocket and its a tight fit, moves left and right a bit but im guessing thats expected? if anyones fitted a neck before and drilled the holes themselves, let me know how you got on.

ill get some more pics this weekend, if its only a 2 min job to put the neck on and I dont have to take it in the shop, then it'll be sprayed this weekend.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='183484' date='Apr 23 2008, 08:42 AM']My neck has turned up, my pups turned up, its alllll gooood.

1 slight problem, the neck is about 3 mm longer. hoping its not going to make too much of a diffrence.
Not sure if I want to sort the neck and action out myself, or weather to take ti in a shop and get them to fit it.

How hard is it to fit myself? ive offered the neck up to the neck pocket and its a tight fit, moves left and right a bit but im guessing thats expected? if anyones fitted a neck before and drilled the holes themselves, let me know how you got on.

ill get some more pics this weekend, if its only a 2 min job to put the neck on and I dont have to take it in the shop, then it'll be sprayed this weekend.[/quote]

You ought to have 3mm of adjustment in your bridge, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Bear in mind also that the only important measurement is the distance from bridge to nut.

Basically, put the neck in the pocket, flip it round then mark the centres of the holes in the heel of the neck using the neck screws (or a nail). Take it off and drill. It is preferable to use a drill press or at least a hand drill in a vertical stand.

Experiment with a scrap bit of hardwood and different drill bits before you drill. Drill the holes in the scrap wood and check that the neck screws get a good bite. Drill your holes too wide and it'll be very inconvenient for you.

[quote name='neepheid' post='183513' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:14 AM']You ought to have 3mm of adjustment in your bridge, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Bear in mind also that the only important measurement is the distance from bridge to nut.

Basically, put the neck in the pocket, flip it round then mark the centres of the holes in the heel of the neck using the neck screws (or a nail). Take it off and drill. It is preferable to use a drill press or at least a hand drill in a vertical stand.

Experiment with a scrap bit of hardwood and different drill bits before you drill. Drill the holes in the scrap wood and check that the neck screws get a good bite. Drill your holes too wide and it'll be very inconvenient for you.[/quote]

its ok, ill just use those plastic plug things and gaffa tape if it goes too big. :)
nahh thanks for the advise though, ive got my old neck to play with so ill drill the hell out of that untill I get it right. cheers mate.

ooooooooooooo

Got it sprayed today, It looks better then I ever thought it would do. the crazy lacker takes 24hours to dry so it'll be getting pollished tomorrow and ill take some more pics, should be getting the neck on tomorrow too, hopefully if the bass shop it open ill go pick up some pots and get the wiring started, still waiting for the BAii Bridge, so might try and get one from someone else. now its looking like a bass again I just want to finnish it and play it.

just need to figure out what im doing with the scratchplate now, was going for a chrome one but after looking how dark the bass is im thinking I might go for something a little darker, maybe just plain black, not sure yet.

Ive been informed its now pollished and ready to put the neck on and build up.

Should have most of the parts I need by the weekend to at least make it look bass like. Ill get some decent pics although I took some on my phone of the neck spray job and it doesnt show how nice it is from the pics. the paintwork is awesome.

Just found a mem card slot on my laptop for photos, very handy!
ive tried to take good pics but im not very arty, shame you cant see the metalic sparkle in the paint really.

Just gotta get some pots, scratch plate, wait for my knobs and neck plate to turn up, paintwork needs polishing more, got a few imperfections I need to iron out, and then re-stringed. Woop

[quote name='The Burpster' post='192031' date='May 5 2008, 08:29 AM']Ahh but thats the rub. Its only as clear as you want it be....

You can fade the blagk out as much as you want..... the purple would then fade into the black....

Why no likeee clear?[/quote]

ooooo, I see what your getting at.
make sure where the cavity is is black, and then fade out to the edge. ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

That sounds really good. can see it being a bit tricky though, around the pot cavity thats pretty much gonna have to be all black cause the cavity pretty much nearly touches the edge of the scratchplate. hummmm...
might have a bit of a play on ms paint... gimme 20 mins :)

thanks for the idea Bob!!!!!!

Humm, I dont know. :|

Why I dont like clear scratchplates?? er... TBH I think they serve a reason, to stop scratches and to look pretty. clear ones serve only one reason, stop scratches (imho) But if your not using a pick I dont see why not just leave the plate off and fill the cavities.