Why become a member? ×

P Bass copy project.

Jobiebass

What pups are they?

could you get some silver covers.....

(stop me I'm on a roll here!)

SILVER pup covers and silver under the clear guard fading away (to match teh BA) )and,

black fading from the control cavity

PS above art shoppie idea is getting there but my thoughts were a tighter fade around the pup cavity maybe a max of 10mm fading into the clear.....? it'll never look right with a big line around it... take that off as thats what the finished article will look like....

How about just doing a pro job of applying the aluminuim foil to teh rear of teh clear plate in a sweet pattern, that'll look semi mirrored if done well...... again just a pattern around the pups and control cavity.....

Slapping a solid colour plate over that paint job (Like a PRS 10 top ) would be sacriledge... IMO

Pups are MIM Fender, got them for £14 delivered from someone on here, so I thought id see what they are like, I can always upgrade them later to something more expensive when I figure out what kind of tone I want from it.

well i first wanted to make a chrome scratchplate, but then I realised it was gonna take far too much faffing about so I didnt bother. Plus, looking how dark the bass is, I think the scratchplate would look daft in anything else but black/dark

I do like the black and the black/silver idea but my dad normally sprays cars so he wont have a small enough nossle to airbrush it. hummmmmm...

aughh, I was quite content with a black scratchplate but now ive gone off the idea, THANKS BOB!!! geez! :) :huh:

I like the thought of a purple LED under the SP now too. But its not an active bass. although I could cover the cavity in silver conductive paint, spray the whole or part of the SP black, put purple led's in the pup cav and pot cavity attached to a watch battery in the pot cavity and leave a 0.5cm ring clear around the knobs/pups so they glow purple. without seeing the actual LED's.

AUGHHH bob what have you done to me! ;)

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='192130' date='May 5 2008, 11:25 AM']AUGHHH bob what have you done to me! :huh:[/quote]

You started it...... :)

J, you Cant go to all that trouble with a complete rebuild and NOT finish it as well....

There must be someone near you with an airbrush and if not send it here and I'll do it....

Order a big chunk of 3mm Lexan and lets have a play....

RIGHT!!!
im gonna get my "MSPaint on"

Im at work but there aint nothing to do so I might as well mess about.

While im messing about on paint, can I order premade clear SP's or do I have to make it? I dont think I have the tools to make it to a decent quality.

[quote name='neepheid' post='192117' date='May 5 2008, 11:07 AM']You get these minimalist covers:

I toyed with the idea of using them in my fretless project, but decided to go down the clear route, so as not to obscure any of my sister's artwork.[/quote]

Sorry I just noticed this post.

I do really like the pot cover one. Not sure on the pup cover though, seams a bit square in a sea of curves.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='192168' date='May 5 2008, 12:23 PM']Sorry I just noticed this post.

I do really like the pot cover one. Not sure on the pup cover though, seams a bit square in a sea of curves.[/quote]

Could always round off the top end though...

[attachment=8412:p.jpg]

that pickguard would look good in a sort of burst finish, so spraying the outsides with a fairly tight fade, and spray the control cavity and the pickup cavity bit with a fairly tight fade. of course, if you're doing and black fades it'd also make sense to spray the insides of both cavities black, especially if you're airbrushing because there might be small holes you dont notice at the time, but when you put it on you might see the purple beneath. just an idea.

I seriously dont know what to do.

My current thoughts are...

..I dont like clear SP (sprayed might be diffrent but I cant see it turning out well if I do it)
..I dont really want to fill any holes
..I dont want to make a SP from scratch (ill make a mess of it)

If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Fill the holes and repaint over the areas it leaves.

Though for me, to be honest, that would be a white scratchplate. Leave chrome alone ;p

Edited by Finbar

i still think a chrome one would look best. im liking the idea of black, too. IMO you dont want anythign that'll draw the eyes away from the finish, and something thats really different will do just that.

I would be happy with a black SP, it does its job and means I dont have to fill holes, but then it is a shame to cover up the paintwork with a piece of black plastic.

although, if I could find someone with the right tool for the job, and if it wouldnt look stupid, I could get the slayer god hates us all album cover thing cut out of it so you can see the purple behind. just the crosses like.

any take on if that would look tacky or not?

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='193670' date='May 7 2008, 10:10 AM']mehh, given up on the slayer idea.

Anyone know where I can get a black SP from with black screws for cheep????[/quote]

have you tried ebay?

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='193670' date='May 7 2008, 10:10 AM']mehh, given up on the slayer idea.

Anyone know where I can get a black SP from with black screws for cheep????[/quote]

I got some bits for my guitars here recently -

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeplates.htm"]http://www.axesrus.com/axeplates.htm[/url]

They do black screws and P-style scratchplates. Irritatingly though, scratchplate shapes and sizes are considerably less standard than you'd think. My "Telecaster" copy is a different enough size to make it completely incompatible with any Fender tele sized guards. Even genuine fender MIA/MIM/MIJ can differ between themselves, and for different years. It's quite possible you'll find the same with your bass.... Might be worth just buying a blank and cutting one yourself using your old one as a template, if you still have it.

Tried evil bay yeah, no luck unless I want it delivered from the states.

yeah i guessed it wouldnt fit and would have some routing to do to make it fit, the old SP looks like they bought it, then routed it at the neck to make it fit anyways, so i was planning on doing the same. I dont think i trust myself routing the whole thing, Im pretty good at bodging things up, for example, I started screwing in the tuners, couldnt figure out why I was rounding the screws off, now ive gotta get more screws, drill tiny pilot holes and try again.

[quote name='stoo' post='193785' date='May 7 2008, 12:39 PM']I got some bits for my guitars here recently -

[url="http://www.axesrus.com/axeplates.htm"]http://www.axesrus.com/axeplates.htm[/url][/quote]

I checked that site the other day actually, but I just thought it was expensive, I mean, £18 for a black SP? then posting, hummm, seams a lot of a piece of plastic. its £10 just for the plastic which I also thinks quite expensive for what it is. Might wait around and see if anyones selling a 2nd hand one or if i get bored at the guitard shop this weekend I might pick one up if they have one in.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='193842' date='May 7 2008, 01:30 PM']I checked that site the other day actually, but I just thought it was expensive, I mean, £18 for a black SP? then posting, hummm, seams a lot of a piece of plastic. its £10 just for the plastic which I also thinks quite expensive for what it is. Might wait around and see if anyones selling a 2nd hand one or if i get bored at the guitard shop this weekend I might pick one up if they have one in.[/quote]

Postage is free from axesrus, if that's any help.

[quote name='Jobiebass' post='193842' date='May 7 2008, 01:30 PM']I checked that site the other day actually, but I just thought it was expensive, I mean, £18 for a black SP? then posting, hummm, seams a lot of a piece of plastic. its £10 just for the plastic which I also thinks quite expensive for what it is. Might wait around and see if anyones selling a 2nd hand one or if i get bored at the guitard shop this weekend I might pick one up if they have one in.[/quote]

£18 for a black scratchplate is a good price. It'll be 3 bits of plastic laminated together, and cut to shape. Postage is free from Axes'r'us, like neepheid said. At the end of the day, you're not just paying for a piece of plastic, you're paying for the skills that are needed to make the scratchplate as well as the tools too. If you think £18 is too much, I suggest you buy the pickguard blank and try making it yourself, then see if you think £18 is too much.