Why become a member? ×

"Go on, - play me something"......

Gazza 2905

If they know me at all...they'll have seen me play.

If I was in a shop and fancied a play on a bass..I would just go through my little sound check type thing..which is a bunch of stuff which tells me what the Bass/amp/cab is doing on that room...so same applies to the shop.

I wouldn't be concerned whether the shop or whoever thought I could play or not.

Usually I dont bother, rarely play in shops anyway. There always seems to be some young kid trying out a Squier sounding like a wasp in a tin can, or with a bass doing his slap party piece.

I got a nice walking bass line that goes from C at the third fret up to the 17th and back for sound checks and for when some dickhead says 'play somfin then'.

Cheers 51, you made me late for work :)

I youtubed "Bach cello suite 1 bass" & found this...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7uyk9NANmY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7uyk9NANmY[/url]

Spent the rest of the morning learning the 1st part of it. Gonna see if I can learn the full thing for Saturday's gig. :)

I usually sound like I've never touched a bass before when I try one in a shop.

I play an open note & then twiddle the knobs to see what they do. Then I just mess about playing notes & trying to get fret buzz or anything else that I don't want, then the assistant comes over & takes it off me. :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320750620' post='1430766']
Hmm... that doesn't sound right... I'll check the tab I've got. I can play it alright, it's just playing quick iirc.
[/quote]

Should've posted the maths I s'pose. (Oh, and perhaps made the point that said kid was a guitar student...)

[b][i]Ahem[/i][/b]:

Marked tempo is 200 bpm

Rhythmic feel is semiquavers (i.e. 4 per beat)

200 x 4 = 800 notes (not Beats, mind) per minute

800 / 60 = 13.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 notes per second (approx.) (Q.E.D.) (B.Sc.(Hons)) (PGCE and bar)

I rounded it up to 14 for extra effect.

In my defence, it was said in jest. As in 'not meant to be taken too seriously'. (Although it did actually happen pretty much as stated.)

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1320761816' post='1430976']
I usually sound like I've never touched a bass before when I try one in a shop.

I play an open note & then twiddle the knobs to see what they do. Then I just mess about playing notes & trying to get fret buzz or anything else that I don't want, then the assistant comes over & takes it off me. :)
[/quote]

ha ha ..me too.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1320763388' post='1431019']
Should've posted the maths I s'pose. (Oh, and perhaps made the point that said kid was a guitar student...)

[b][i]Ahem[/i][/b]:

Marked tempo is 200 bpm

Rhythmic feel is semiquavers (i.e. 4 per beat)

200 x 4 = 800 notes (not Beats, mind) per minute

800 / 60 = 13.33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333 notes per second (approx.) (Q.E.D.) (B.Sc.(Hons)) (PGCE and bar)

I rounded it up to 14 for extra effect.

In my defence, it was said in jest. As in 'not meant to be taken too seriously'. (Although it did actually happen pretty much as stated.)
[/quote]

Ah I didn't realise the kid was a guitar student and that's pretty epic. I'm going to make sure I can still play it when I get home :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1320759489' post='1430901']
Cheers 51, you made me late for work :)

I youtubed "Bach cello suite 1 bass" & found this...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7uyk9NANmY[/media]

Spent the rest of the morning learning the 1st part of it. Gonna see if I can learn the full thing for Saturday's gig. :)
[/quote]

I've found a tab for it now too :o race ya to the finish! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

You havn't come across a powertab or guitarpro version though have you? :o

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320765880' post='1431090']
Ah I didn't realise the kid was a guitar student and that's pretty epic. I'm going to make sure I can still play it when I get home :)
[/quote]

Had he been able to play any of it, that would have been epic. As it was he was one step removed from being a complete beginner, and had quite possibly the cheapest, nastiest SG copy I've seen in my entire life. Balsa wood and cheese wire would have been an improvement! :) :) :o

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1320766576' post='1431101']
Had he been able to play any of it, that would have been epic. As it was he was one step removed from being a complete beginner, and had quite possibly the cheapest, nastiest SG copy I've seen in my entire life. Balsa wood and cheese wire would have been an improvement! :) :) :)
[/quote]

Well that would make the chopping board at least, once he can do the DragonForce he'll have the cheese too :o

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1320766501' post='1431100']
I've found a tab for it now too :) race ya to the finish! Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! :)

You havn't come across a powertab or guitarpro version though have you? :)
[/quote]

I haven't found a powertab one as yet.
There's a Songsster version, but it's in G & the root is on the 3rd fret of the E string.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1320702882' post='1430405']
Every once in a while you get some cocky little tyke who wants to know why you can't play 'Through the Fire and the Flame' note for note, 'cos he's teachin' 'isself ta play i'. Last time that happened I did a bit of arithmetic with the kid, just to make sure he was aware that the average note speed throughout the song is around 14 notes a second.
[/quote]

I just watched that on YouTube, absolutely hilarious - couldn't get the image of the chase at the end of Benny Hill out of my head... :)

I'll usually play a solo like [i]Continuum[/i]. Your playing has to really have some depth to it if you're playing solo and looking to make an impression, so just playing something fast unaccompanied probably won't cut it. For the easily impressed though, a good old fashioned slap solo in E usually impresses, especially with plenty of hammer on and ghost notes!

I read an article about a female bass player going for an audition with Michael Jackson - sorry guys, but you probably know who, I don't. She played Giant Steps and got the job. It's also good to play on DB and it's my show off piece.

BTW if you're going into a shop to check out a bass, nothing wrong with playing dead simple and checking things like intonation all up the board, evenness across the strings, sustain, response to controls and a host of other things. Concentrate on the instrument and don't worry about trying to impress the assistant.