Why become a member? ×

Tower Of Power at Ronnie Scott's next March

urb

i have never paid £45 for a meal, but i would rather see music played in a big arena with a massive production. I do realise that Tower of Power wouldnt fill say the O2 but you can get tickets for the most in demand artists for £45 with huge a production. Also i guess its partly the fact i'm not a fan of ronnie scotts where i guess some people love the fact they can sit down and watch music and have a ridiculously fancy dinner.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1320666116' post='1429514']
i have never paid £45 for a meal, but i would rather see music played in a big arena with a massive production. I do realise that Tower of Power wouldnt fill say the O2 but you can get tickets for the most in demand artists for £45 with huge a production. Also i guess its partly the fact i'm not a fan of ronnie scotts where i guess some people love the fact they can sit down and watch music and have a ridiculously fancy dinner.
[/quote]
Why would you prefer to be further from the action? I don't get it. You'll get better sound quality at Ronnies than you would at an arena - you can see the artists in the flesh and not on a video screen. It's win win.

All I can say is seeing a great band up close and personal in Ronnie's is a great experience - I've been lucky to see quite a few really amazing gigs this year at the club - Pino Palladino, John McLaughln band, Incognito, Hiromi, Robert Glasper and Scott Henderson - all of which were incredible - you don't have to eat, the sound system is amazing and the performances people give in a small club are way more intense and special - I think - than on some mega-bowl/dome/stadium where they are miles from the audience and appear like ants on a huge stage... I generally hate big gigs so perhaps I'm not the person to offer an opinion here.

Have to agree with Mike's comment above - went to see Maynard Ferguson's Big Band at Ronnie Scott's in the mid to late 1990's & it's probably the best Jazz gig I've ever been to. The only other time I've seen Jazz gigs in Central London were Lee Ritenour, The Yellowjackets, The Chick Corea Elektric Band, & Bill Bruford's Earthworks at the RFH & it wasn't as good a venue as Ronnie's..

obviously theres a market willing to pay that much so i guess thats why they charge it. Shame as students such as myself are priced out of enjoying a really fantastic band.

I just don't see why £45 is required. There costs can't be anywhere near the equal to £45 per person times maximum capacity. Just sounds greedy to me.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1320668977' post='1429608']
I just don't see why £45 is required. There costs can't be anywhere near the equal to £45 per person times maximum capacity. Just sounds greedy to me.
[/quote]

Sadly it's that much to pay for the band's fee/air fare/hotel bill/transport and then the venue's rent/staff/tech staff/door staff/waiters etc etc etc - it's all relative I know but Ronnie's don't make a fat profit from such gigs - and to get a band that would normally play a 2000 seater venue to play a 250 seater one is pretty amazing - go figure on the cost of booking them - the point is it'll be a special chance to see one of the all time great soul funk bands... - but hey that's for you to decide.

[quote name='blackmn90' timestamp='1320668977' post='1429608']
obviously theres a market willing to pay that much so i guess thats why they charge it. Shame as students such as myself are priced out of enjoying a really fantastic band.

[/quote]

I don't get it. You think paying that kinda money in an arena of 50000 people is ok but not is a small intimate venue. Surely its the other way around?

£45 is for the cheap seats, £60 for better, and TBH I don't like RS as a venue, it's super cramped and will be even worse given the size of TOP. They're doing 2 performances each day. Might still go despite my reservations about the price and venue, after all how much longer will Rocco keep going?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1320687060' post='1430033']
I'd say £45 is worth every penny to see a band like TOP close up.

I can't bear those stadium/arena gigs, I'd rather put on the CD and look at the CD cover after I've carefully placed it at the other end of the room.
[/quote]
classic

TOP are also playing at Koko in Camden Town on Thursday 29th March. Tickets work out at £28 (including £3 booking fee).

A band not to be missed (I last saw them in Ronnies a couple of years ago and had a table right in front of the stage. Awesome gig!).