Why become a member? ×

Aria Pro II SB600 (1985, Black/Natural) - £225

noelk27

Made in Japan, Aria Pro II SB600, manufactured by Matsumoku in '85. Centre block comprising maple and rosewood, with maple wings, and three-piece set neck, with rosewood touchboard; 860mm (34") scale length, 45mm nut width, 16mm pitch. MB-II double coil pickup, with volume and tone controls, and phase reverse mini toggle switch. Chromed, die-cast bridge and mini, enclosed "APII" branded tuning gear, and brass nut. Finished in gloss back, with natural centre section. In fair to good condition aesthetically for a bass that was gigged extensively. Body finish shows a number of marks, but neck and touchboard in excellent condition. Frets show very light wear. Pickup and electrics in full working order and all original, except for mini toggle switch (replaced circa '98). Hardware in full working order and all original, except for volume and tone knobs (now knurled chrome; but can be supplied with a set of gold and a set of black for you to decide which look you prefer). £225, including postage within mainland GB.

Trades: Daion (PowerMark guitars/basses), Ibanez (Artist guitars/Stagemaster basses), Tokai (Talbo guitars/basses), Yamaha (SA, SAS, SC, SF guitars/SA, SB basses), Status (Empathy).

Edited by noelk27

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1320408534' post='1426400']
[b]By way of trades I'd be interested in Daion (PowerMax guitars), [/b]Ibanez (Artist, Musician guitars; Musician, Stagemaster basses), Tokai (Talbo guitars/basses), Washburn (Falcon, Eagle guitars), Yamaha (SA, SC guitars; SA, SB basses; MIJ BB2000 - fretless, passive), and early Status Empathy four-string.
[/quote]

Do you own any Daion at the moment?

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1329740611' post='1546495']
Yes, two PowerMax XX guitars.
[/quote]

Oooo nice - I'd love any of the Daion basses but they so rarely come up and are usually in the £700+ range which is a bit too much for me at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1330954916' post='1565242']This has to be an '81. Matsumoku only made the set neck models for 1 year according to my research.[/quote]
Your research, I'm afraid, is flawed. The first version of the 600 was introduced in '79. This version was a bolt-on (what Matsumoku described as "detachable") neck design, and remained in production until late '80. The second version was officially introduced in '81, although examples with '80 serial numbers exist. This version featured a set ("fixed") neck design, and remained in production into '86. Some sources suggest that the second version of the 600 went out of production in '84, but this is incorrect (based on an erroneous assumption made in the German language translation of an '84 Aria Japan product brochure, which formed the basis of the subsequent English language translation).

Darn. Maybe it is a only available in the US until '81. I know the one I had I sold in a bidding war to Aria collectors here because the set neck was only available in one year. So, maybe that was it, not availabe in the US.

Either way, the set neck versions sound WAY better then the bolt ons.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1331049105' post='1566844']Maybe it is a only available in the US until '81. I know the one I had I sold in a bidding war to Aria collectors here because the set neck was only available in one year.[/quote]

Before consolidating its guitar/bass ranges circa '83/'84, Aria did focus on certain model variants outwith Asia, which, for the SB range, meant the 40/18 "R" versions. Product brochures of the time clearly feature these instruments, while less prominently, if at all, featuring the 45/16 "A" versions. That said, the "A" versions of the 1000, 900, 700 and 600 remained in production, and distributor/dealer product information clearly shows that the 600 was readily available in the Americas, Australasia and Europe through the end of '83. This is a mass-produced model, which was available in significant quantities, and in production until '86, of which there are very few limited/unusual variants. It surprises me that any 600 gave rise to a bidding frenzy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Doesn't have the same mid-range presence peak as the high-end models, but it sounds like an SB. Listen to http://basschat.co.uk/topic/174955-john-taylor-duran-duran-isolated-bass-track-to-rio/ to get a general idea.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...