Why become a member? ×

EBS Reidmar

JakeBrownBass

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326116687' post='1492459']
Great review EBS_Freak!

To add to the comment you made about EBS demo'ing the Reidmar with an 810...I have an interesting photo to upload that I took at my gig last night. Can't right now because my iPhone won't let me upload to imageshack, but I will do it on my laptop when I get back home later.

Had a big gig to play last night so I took my HD350 and Proline 410. Happened to have my Reidmar with me, so after we sound checked I popped it in for a blast whilst the venue was empty. I set the same EQ, gain and compression levels on both heads and brought the backline volume up to the same level I sound checked with (which was pretty loud last night). The result really freaked me out! You will understand why when I upload the photo later.
[/quote]

As promised. Pay close attention to the Volume knobs!

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/73393492.jpg/][IMG]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/4827/73393492.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[/URL]

Somebody will have to explain to me how that is possible!? I had to push my old Markbass LMIII harder to get to the same volume as the HD350 and that amp is twice the power as the Reidmar. I don't get it??

shizznit, I spoke to Ralf at EBS about this. This is what he said.

[left][b][i][font="Arial"][color="#0000ff"]A theory might be that due to the nature of class D amps, most of those amps feature a built in limiter that reduce dynamics and limits and level out the low end at high volume, which makes the tone lose definiton - only to prevent the power amp from clipping.[/color][/font][/i][/b][/left]

[left][b][i][font="Arial"][color="#0000ff"]The Reidmar use a different and unique solution, and does not automatically limit the signal anywhere before the power amp which gives more headroom and preserved definition of tone even at high volumes, which makes it sound even more powerful than it actually is. [/color][/font][/i][/b][/left]

[left]We also went on to speak about other class D amps and how they claim to be off a certain output but in fact when tested are nowhere near what they claim to be. He went on to say that EBS are just more accurate with their figures.[/left]

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326129837' post='1492685']

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/73393492.jpg/"][/url]
Uploaded with [url="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us[/url]

Somebody will have to explain to me how that is possible!? I had to push my old Markbass LMIII harder to get to the same volume as the HD350 and that amp is twice the power as the Reidmar. I don't get it??
[/quote]

Magic :)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326129837' post='1492685']

[url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/718/73393492.jpg/"][/url]
Uploaded with [url="http://imageshack.us"]ImageShack.us[/url]

[/quote]

The Reidmar will be putting out it's full load into that single cab, the HD350 won't (it ideally wants a 2 ohm load). I know that EBS claim (and probably quite rightly) that the HD350 still puts out 300w into 4ohms, in practice, I've found it to have far more headroom running at 2. What you must remember, that there is really only 50w difference between the continuous output between the HD350 and the Reidmar, so the difference in output in terms in dB will be negligible (remember volume is measured in dB not watts!)

Makes we wonder if the old log pot trick has been used like on the Fender Hotrods - e.g. big volume boosts up to 12 o'clock and then past that nothing happens! It's a good selling trick in the shops! To be honest, I didn't think to try that out and I didn't have a HD350 to try it against!

PS your settings are not the same - the frequency centre points for the tone controls are different on both amps.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1326149239' post='1493115']

PS your settings are not the same - the frequency centre points for the tone controls are different on both amps.
[/quote]

Ahhh...well spotted, but the photo is deceptive. Take a closer look at the photo. The frequency range is mapped very different on the Reidmar. On the HD350 the notches range from 50hz > 100hz > 200hz > 400hz > 800hz > 1.5khz > 2khz. The Reidmar is marked from 100hz > 200hz > 600 hz > 1.5khz > 2khz. Very different mapping from each other. So, I have to hover in between 600 > 1.5khz to find my fav 800hz setting I would normally match up the marker to on the HD350.

Anyway...even if I was out by as much as 400hz it would not made that much difference to the volume, which is what I was testing at the end of the day. On my previous comments about the mids projecting more with the Reidmar was in a recording environment...not a live environment, I actually cut the high mids down to 300-400hz. I did the same on both amps and when I compared the tracks the Reidmar was definately a bit more lively and sat in the mix louder on higher notes.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326136014' post='1492790']
shizznit, I spoke to Ralf at EBS about this. This is what he said.

[left][b][i][font=Arial][color=#0000ff]A theory might be that due to the nature of class D amps, most of those amps feature a built in limiter that reduce dynamics and limits and level out the low end at high volume, which makes the tone lose definiton - only to prevent the power amp from clipping.[/color][/font][/i][/b][/left]

[left][b][i][font=Arial][color=#0000ff]The Reidmar use a different and unique solution, and does not automatically limit the signal anywhere before the power amp which gives more headroom and preserved definition of tone even at high volumes, which makes it sound even more powerful than it actually is. [/color][/font][/i][/b][/left]

[left]We also went on to speak about other class D amps and how they claim to be off a certain output but in fact when tested are nowhere near what they claim to be. He went on to say that EBS are just more accurate with their figures.[/left]
[/quote]

I have spoken to (emailed) Ralph before and he's a good guy. Bless him...he sent me a replacement tweeter horn FOC when the one in my 410 went within the first couple of weeks owning it, even though I admitted that it was completely my own fault! EBS aftersales care is second to none!

Ralphs comments are very interesting. From what he has said there doesn't appear to be much parity in D-class bass amp technology, which may explain why bench test results of other popular brands are falling short of their claims. I'll defend Markbass amps to the hilt and recommend them to anyone...I loved my LMIII, but I can't help but feel a bit cheated. I have a feeling that the Reidmar is going to take a baseball bat to the rest of the D-class market in the coming months. No doubt EBS will continue to develop further into D-class amps and I am looking forward to what further advancements they will produce in the future.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326193574' post='1493460']

I have spoken to (emailed) Ralph before and he's a good guy. Bless him...he sent me a replacement tweeter horn FOC when the one in my 410 went within the first couple of weeks owning it, even though I admitted that it was completely my own fault! EBS aftersales care is second to none!

Ralphs comments are very interesting. From what he has said there doesn't appear to be much parity in D-class bass amp technology, which may explain why bench test results of other popular brands are falling short of their claims. I'll defend Markbass amps to the hilt and recommend them to anyone...I loved my LMIII, but I can't help but feel a bit cheated. I have a feeling that the Reidmar is going to take a baseball bat to the rest of the D-class market in the coming months. No doubt EBS will continue to develop further into D-class amps and I am looking forward to what further advancements they will produce in the future.
[/quote]

Yes, I think you are right and I think once word gets around and people hear and try the Reidmar, we may see a lot of other bassists using them. Its also good that EBS produce three different styles of cabs to go with this head so a few options there also. Personally I would like to see EBS produce a more powerful Class D head, say 500 watts and in time make the unit much smaller.

Whilst we are talking about size, is the Reidmar the same size as other heads and so rack mountable or is it smaller like other Class D amps?

Oh and I should be getting my Reidmar today :)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326194064' post='1493467']
Yes, I think you are right and I think once word gets around and people hear and try the Reidmar, we may see a lot of other bassists using them. Its also good that EBS produce three different styles of cabs to go with this head so a few options there also. Personally I would like to see EBS produce a more powerful Class D head, say 500 watts and in time make the unit much smaller.

Whilst we are talking about size, is the Reidmar the same size as other heads and so rack mountable or is it smaller like other Class D amps?

Oh and I should be getting my Reidmar today :)
[/quote]

The Reidmar is a bit wider than a lot of other portable D-class amps, such as Genz, Markbass, Aguilar, EA...etc. Also, you can't rackmount the Reidmar, which is a little disapointing. Hopefully, EBS will improve the ergonomics with their next D-class model. Especially that the new Aguilar Tonehammer 350 is not far off the same size as a packet of fags!

Glad that you are joining the Reidmar party today! Don't forget to give us your feedback! Are getting your Classicline cab today too or is that coming later?

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326195271' post='1493496']
The Reidmar is a bit wider than a lot of other portable D-class amps, such as Genz, Markbass, Aguilar, EA...etc. Also, you can't rackmount the Reidmar, which is a little disapointing. Hopefully, EBS will improve the ergonomics with their next D-class model. Especially that the new Aguilar Tonehammer 350 is not far off the same size as a packet of fags!

Glad that you are joining the Reidmar party today! Don't forget to give us your feedback! Are getting your Classicline cab today too or is that coming later?
[/quote]

No the cabs will be coming later. I might go and buy one at the weekend but I will obviously give my impressions when up and running. Very excited though :)

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326195271' post='1493496']

[/quote]

Agreed - the lack of rackmount is a bit of an oversight... although I don't believe for one minute that the Reidmar was designed with anybody in mind who is out to rack this thing. If I recall, Bo wanted a sub £1000 giggable lightweight solution. It's no surprise that the solution is entirely from China but despite that, the package is nicely made.

I'm not entirely sure that EBS thinks that there is a market for these amps in the UK as their other non class D amps are selling well in Europe but no so good over here... Time will tell. I suspect if the Reidmar takes off, they'll broaden the range.

Marketing in the UK is tricky. I suspected that there would be a double power T90 given the extra holes in the chassis - that hasn't materialised... yet. But then again, I don't know what the uptake of the amp has been - the HD350, TD660 and Fafner remain the firm favourites with the Classic 450 being popular in Europe - yet the Classic 450 seems to have done very little over here.

To be honest, I am not bothered about it not being rack mounted. Its just that I am touring soon and wanted to know if i should get a rack case or some other means to store and protect on tour :) Personally I am happier its not rackable as that means its smaller and I am not keen on racks anyway :)

The only other thing EBS said to me is they are considering making a combo using the Reidmar head,

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326204139' post='1493728']
To be honest, I am not bothered about it not being rack mounted. Its just that I am touring soon and wanted to know if i should get a rack case or some other means to store and protect on tour :) Personally I am happier its not rackable as that means its smaller and I am not keen on racks anyway :)

The only other thing EBS said to me is they are considering making a combo using the Reidmar head,
[/quote]

As for case, off the top of my head, a photo case with the removal foam interior would be the way to go... or alternatively, a messenger bag.

A combo would be a logical step I guess - minimal design work.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1326203597' post='1493718']
Agreed - the lack of rackmount is a bit of an oversight... although I don't believe for one minute that the Reidmar was designed with anybody in mind who is out to rack this thing. If I recall, Bo wanted a sub £1000 giggable lightweight solution. It's no surprise that the solution is entirely from China but despite that, the package is nicely made.

I'm not entirely sure that EBS thinks that there is a market for these amps in the UK as their other non class D amps are selling well in Europe but no so good over here... Time will tell. I suspect if the Reidmar takes off, they'll broaden the range.

Marketing in the UK is tricky. I suspected that there would be a double power T90 given the extra holes in the chassis - that hasn't materialised... yet. But then again, I don't know what the uptake of the amp has been - the HD350, TD660 and Fafner remain the firm favourites with the Classic 450 being popular in Europe - yet the Classic 450 seems to have done very little over here.
[/quote]

Well, you never know...EBS might inject more investment into that corner of the market, but as you said (and I totally agree) the HD, TD and Fafner heads are very much revered as some of the best high powered amp heads available and will certainly continue to be their bread and butter. They did launch the Reidmar very softly and I have seen very little advertising for this amp before and after it came onto the market, so that could suggest that their business focus is still very much based on their other products.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326204139' post='1493728']

[/quote]

If you are looking for a well protected case for the Reidmar give Mark @ Bass Direct a call and ask him about the Gig Skinz bags. The medium size is a perfect fit for this amp and is incredibly well padded. Lots of extra pockets to carry other stuff too. Mark sold me one early last year for my Markbass LMIII and I now use it for the Reidmar. Tidy!

Edited by shizznit

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1326203597' post='1493718']

Marketing in the UK is tricky. I suspected that there would be a double power T90 given the extra holes in the chassis - that hasn't materialised... yet.
[/quote]

I'm still waiting for that!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1326204944' post='1493745']
Well, you never know...EBS might inject more investment into that corner of the market, but as you said (and I totally agree) the HD, TD and Fafner heads are very much revered as some of the best high powered amp heads available and will certainly continue to be their bread and butter. They did launch the Reidmar very softly and I have seen very little advertising for this amp before and after it came onto the market, so that could suggest that their business focus is still very much based on their other products.

If you are looking for a well protected case for the Reidmar give Mark @ Bass Direct a call and ask him about the Gig Skinz bags. The medium size is a perfect fit for this amp and is incredibly well padded. Lots of extra pockets to carry other stuff too. Mark sold me one early last year for my Markbass LMIII and I now use it for the Reidmar. Tidy!
[/quote]

Thanks shizznit, I may drive up to Bass Direct at the weekend with the Reidmar to try cabs and pick up a Classic 112 so I will look at those Gig Skinz bag also. Will also try an NS NXT double bass so I can see this trip becoming costly :)

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326205557' post='1493757']
Thanks shizznit, I may drive up to Bass Direct at the weekend with the Reidmar to try cabs and pick up a Classic 112 so I will look at those Gig Skinz bag also. Will also try an NS NXT double bass so I can see this trip becoming costly :)
[/quote]

LOL! I know what you mean. I spent £800 that I didn't intend to spend the last time I drove up to Mark's shop! That place is like Alladin's cave!

[quote name='ltswifty' timestamp='1323093914' post='1459131']
I went into Colchester today to try one of these out (I use a TD650 and Pro Line 2000 cabs from Tonyf, heavy but can't find the same tone anywhere

Worryingly, when they plugged it in it was DOA!! They are getting a replacement in this week, so will report back on how it sounds.
[/quote]

Oh man! I hope you haven't received one of these duds too! :-(

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1326235219' post='1494410']
Did you get power out of your one? Mine powers up and the headphones work but nothing when using the speakeron.
[/quote]

Oh...hang on...are you using the headphones at the same time when it is connected to the cab? The manual says that it will cut the speaker output signal when headphones are plugged in.