Why become a member? ×

Hmm, didn't think it'd hurt this much

Gilby

Ok, I hack out a few chords and riffs on the acoustic after a long absence from music. Used to thrash out power chords and simple riffs in a punky metal way when I was much younger. Now I'm a bit older (42) I've decided to try my hand at bass and attempt to learn/understand music properly.
Choosing a cheap way into it I picked up a used bronco, I have quite long fingers but thought it would be an easy transition from the accoustic.
I want to do this right rather than employ my sloppy, lazy way of doing things but my pinky finger is not playing ball! My ring finger follows it (ie it always wants to sit behind the pinky on the same string). It's much easier for me to run through scales using just three fingers (i can even play a few tunes!) but I feel that's defeating the idea of "doing things properly".
So, apart from practice practice practice, any exercises I can do away from the guitar (whilst driving or at work) to increase strength and flexibility in the pinky finger? Am I at an age where retraining finger muscles isn't really going to happen?

There's a video on YouTube of a guy (he's not a musician as far as I know) who teaches finger strength & independence (the video runs through some exercises which was posted on here some time ago) which I've found useful for warming up before practicing or on a gig. The main thing to remember is that the ring & pnky fingers share a tendon, so one will (to a certain extent) follow the other to a point.. IMO age doesn't really come into it (you're 6 years younger than me).

It's possible to use a 1-2-4 fingering on the fretboard (Simandl) which should be fine on a Bronco as it's a short scale bass if memory serves. I use 1-2-4 a fair bit on a 5 string as I'm not blessed with the biggest of hands.

It is important to recognise the difference between weakness in your hands and the absence of effective hand positioning. In truth, you had the strength required to play the bass in your hands at the age of about 3. At the moment, you are just not used to holding the string down with your pinky so it isn't working efficiently and fatigue sets in really quickly (I had this recently when I took up the double bass). If you practice your technique gently and systematically, you will see an improvement very quickly, in a matter of weeks rather than months. Be patient. Almost every thing that you need to learn to be a good player comes incrementally and not in epiphanies.

An exercise my mate showed me when I started, which I find useful was to play the classic 50's walking bassline, making sure to play one finger per fret style. If you start highish up the neck, the stretch shouldn't be a problem, and you can gradually move further up as your fingers get used to stretching. In tab, it would be as follows if played in C:

-------------------------------------------------------------7-8-7------
------------7-8-7-------------------7-8-7----------7-10-------7-10-
-------7-10--------10-7----7-10---------10-7-8--------------------
----8----------------------8--------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------7----------------------------------------
--------------7-8-7--------------9---9-----7-10-7----------7-8-7-------
-------7-10---------10-7---10---------8--------------7-10-------10-7--
----8--------------------------------------------------8----------------------

You should be using index finger on the 7th fret, middle on 8th, ring on 9th and pinky on the 10th when playing this. I still find this tiring to play in G. Try youtubing a few videos, see if any of them make sense. Also, your left hand should resemble the picture below, with your thumb on the back of the neck, not round the side, else you won't be able to spread your fingers in the slightest (it's comfy, but unhelpful).

One last thing, experiment with how softly you actually [u]need[/u] to fret to ring a clear note without buzzing, it's hardly any force at all.

Edited by ZMech

Guest bassman7755

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gripmaster-Finger-Excerciser/dp/B000WVOO1S"]http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B000WVOO1S[/url]

You probably want to start off with the light tension one.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1320234277' post='1424007']
An exercise my mate showed me when I started, which I find useful was to play the classic 50's walking bassline, making sure to play one finger per fret style. If you start highish up the neck, the stretch shouldn't be a problem, and you can gradually move further up as your fingers get used to stretching. In tab, it would be as follows if played in C:

-------------------------------------------------------------7-8-7------
------------7-8-7-------------------7-8-7----------7-10-------7-10-
-------7-10--------10-7----7-10---------10-7-8--------------------
----8----------------------8--------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------7----------------------------------------
--------------7-8-7--------------9---9-----7-10-7----------7-8-7-------
-------7-10---------10-7---10---------8--------------7-10-------10-7--
----8--------------------------------------------------8----------------------

You should be using index finger on the 7th fret, middle on 8th, ring on 9th and pinky on the 10th when playing this. I still find this tiring to play in G. Try youtubing a few videos, see if any of them make sense. Also, your left hand should resemble the picture below, with your thumb on the back of the neck, not round the side, else you won't be able to spread your fingers in the slightest (it's comfy, but unhelpful).

One last thing, experiment with how softly you actually [u]need[/u] to fret to ring a clear note without buzzing, it's hardly any force at all.
[/quote]

Agree totally, thumb position is everything, and with your thumb in this position your hand will naturally 'spread out'.

Cheers fellas, really helpful stuff there.
Totally agree with the thumb positioning, I realise that this is a big problem for me as when playing my accoustic guitar I do tend to use my thumb over the top to fret the E string. I'm pretty much self taught so I obviously have a bad habit in that respect.
Again, thank you for your advice.

I don't think it's worth bothering with hand grips or squeezy balls or powerballs or whatever. You don't need to
squeeze to be able to play bass.The more you play the more you will develop the required dexterity.
Like Bilbo said,it's about practice and patience.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1320272446' post='1424786']I don't think it's worth bothering with hand grips or squeezy balls or powerballs or whatever. You don't need to squeeze to be able to play bass.[/quote]

+1

And the more strenuous stuff you put your wrists through, the more likely you are to end up with problems with swollen tendons etc. It's safer to just do what you need to (ie: playing the bass) and let your wrists rest in the down time rather than punishing them with exercises.

[quote name='Gilby' timestamp='1320260258' post='1424569']I do tend to use my thumb over the top to fret the E string.
[/quote]
I'd seriously recommend against this. If you try to do this when playing standing up your wrist will most likely end up being bent backwards, which is just asking for a world of pain. Your wrist should be as straight as possible, especially if you aim to gig and therefore play for extended amounts of time. On this note, make sure to do at least some of your practise in the position in which you'll actually play live, i.e. standing, as the orientation of the bass is likely to change compared to sitting down.

Edited by ZMech

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1320321919' post='1425236']
I'd seriously recommend against this. If you try to do this when playing standing up your wrist will most likely end up being bent backwards, which is just asking for a world of pain. Your wrist should be as straight as possible, especially if you aim to gig and therefore play for extended amounts of time. On this note, make sure to do at least some of your practise in the position in which you'll actually play live, i.e. standing, as the orientation of the bass is likely to change compared to sitting down.[/quote]

Im only a casual player tbh so I've never felt a problem. As I said in my opening post, the move to a bass is also an endeavour to do things properly. I'm obviously going to try and get rid of my bad habits and apply this to my 6 string playing.

I appreciate your concern on this issue and appreciate the emphasis you have put on it.

Again, many thanks to all that have replied.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing bass for over 20 years and the best way I found to gain strength and get past those aches and pains in you hands and fingers is literally just to keep practicing every single day. Before you know it your hands will soon stop hurting. When playing scales and modes make sure your are using all your 4 fingers on your left hand, alot of bassist fall into that awful trap of using just 3 fingers and the little finger becomes lazy.

Just keep playing every day and you will soon find the aches and niggles will soon go and your skin will gain Callas due to the thickness of the strings which again is a good thing. You will soon be able to play for hours and not even break a sweat :)

+1 for practice over toys. I tried one of those flexi-grip things and it did nothing but picking up a bass and playing it (scales are good to get those fingers going) worked a treat. If I'm recording something I usually loop 4 or 8 bars and do however many takes it needs to get it right, sometimes this can be 30-40 takes and that's a lot of practice. Just don't overdo it otherwise fatigue will start setting in.

I had a 15 year hiatus from playing the bass and am only 5 years younger than the OP so in kind of a similar position and it's practice that wins out every time. Have fun with it too!

• 2 weeks later...

something i do that's really simple but easy to do anywhere is to just bend each finger independantly repeatedly. i think this could help you with the problem of your ring finger following the pinkie. but dont make the mistake i did of just doing one hand (i wanted to get all the fingers on my right hand working as apposed to the 1st two) also doing scales all the way up the neck really helps if you use your ring and pinkie as much as possible that way your fingers get stronger and you learn your scales/ notes across the fretboard at the same time.

I wouldn't worry about it. If you are trying to span the frets and cant, then go further up the neck where the frets are smaller. Or do what i do, which is dont worry about it and just use three fingers for the wider frets. I have small hands which wont span no matter what i do, and it would be dangerous to try and force them to. Its no big deal. As you become more dextrous, and if you keep practicing, it wont matter I assure you.

Edited by daz

The best bassline to learn that uses all 4 fingers is 'Hey Joe' by Jimi Hendrix. I'm talking about the end bit which doubles with the guitar. If you play that repeatedly you will end up with full control of Mr Pinky. When I first started playing bass the book I bought to learn had Hey Joe as it's first lesson and I've never looked back.

• 2 weeks later...

Funnily enoutgh I have this problem in reverse. My little finger is great..but I have an index finger I half lost in an accident. And I naturally used to avoid using it because I have to fret using the side of the top of it and it made me stretch my writst at an awkward angle.
What made me develop was scales...to play scales quickly and smoothly it really helps to use all four fingers...and now I do naturally.